I'm doing A-level graphic design next year and I need to use a resistant material, so I figured why not make a guitar? How hard is it? should I buy in a neck? and can I buy some kind of template? Don't forget Im in UK guys!
its actually pretty hard but if ur doing A level u should be ok. id buy a neck though coz u will need a trust rod is it called otherwise it wont be strong enuff to hold strings on. the electrics and all that buit are easy to fit
Quote by mrhoyo
I'm doing A-level graphic design next year and I need to use a resistant material, so I figured why not make a guitar? How hard is it? should I buy in a neck? and can I buy some kind of template? Don't forget Im in UK guys!

Hey, I did the exact same thing for my DT A-Level.

I bought a neck (ebay job) and bought my electrics and pickguard, etc from www.axesrus.com.

I also bought a body blank from ebay (alder) and d/l a template to use for routing, etc.

Presumably your pretty competant at woodwork so it shouldn't be too hard, teachers always give you a hand too (even though they aren't really supposed too)

The hardest part for me was all the bollocks coursework that went with the actual making of the project.
awww, but i wanna
I would buy a neck, saves alot of time.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
so was it pretty easy to do? I'm no master craftsman but i tend to be pretty good at getting things to come out right. It will probably just be cutting around a template anyway, which I can get a teacher to do If i think i'm really going to struggle. Do you know where I can get a template from? And any suggestions on what shape to do?
you can get all kinds of templates off of ebay, but their like 50-60 bucks, dunno how much that is for u, too lazy to find money translator
lol fair enough I'll have a look now. I could probably get away with just buying a cheap guitar and putting an awesome paint job on but I don't think that would be fun. Can I get a list of all the parts I would need?

*********I can only find one template on ebay and its about £25**********
Last edited by mrhoyo at May 9, 2006,
Quote by mrhoyo
lol fair enough I'll have a look now. I could probably get away with just buying a cheap guitar and putting an awesome paint job on but I don't think that would be fun. Can I get a list of all the parts I would need?

*********I can only find one template on ebay and its about £25**********

Don't just buy an old body, there's no point and they'll mark you down.

You can do any shape body you want, being original with a body shape will probably get you more marks, I did a Fender Jaguar which is a slightly rarer shape than the strats, etc.

Cutting out the shape is easy, it's the routing - especially for the neck pocket that is pretty tricky.

Parts depend purely on what guitar you make, but essentials are:

Neck, machine heads(tuners), string tree(s), neck plate and screws, strap buttons, bridge, pick-ups (whatever type's you chose), pickguard and screws, electrics (pots, caps, resistors, wiring, knobs, etc), strings and obviously some primer, spray paint and laquer to finish the body.
awww, but i wanna
Is there anywhere I could buy a full wiring kit? And where would you suggest I buy body wood from because im not sure
axesrus do ready wired scratch plates, and all the parts to do it yourself. Try hunting round some local wood yards for the wood, you never know what you might find. I normaly have a look through the scrap pile where i go cause the wood ahs been sitting for there for months and somtimes years if its one they don't use much so it'll have dryed out. if you don't want to do that ebay if good, www.stewmac.com sell body blanks aswell but it cost a bit and shipping is not to cheap.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
be original and make your own!

that being said,http://www.guitarfetish.com has wired pickguards, individual pickups, prettymuch everything that you could want, and for a great price. i would recommend getting their floyd, and installing it on a strat style(or any trem guitar) to net some style points
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by mrhoyo
Is there anywhere I could buy a full wiring kit? And where would you suggest I buy body wood from because im not sure

www.axesrus.com is a good place for the pre-wired pickguards. If you wanna go yourself at wiring - it is a bit cheaper, try www.guitarpartsresource.com - very cheap prices and shipping.

Look for body blanks on ebay, they should already have been dried out.
awww, but i wanna
Don't buy a prewired pickguard, thats cheating
Soldering is the easiest part, believe it or not. Don't be such a pansy.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.