I recently got an offer. An Epiphone SG Special for $250AUD ($190USD), offcourse it's used, but I was wondering if I should job the oppurtunity to accept this offer. He says that the only thing that could be considered "wrong" with it, is that the frets are ever so slighty worn down.

So my questions are:

Should I accept the offer?

If I did, can I get the frets replaced, if so, how much?

I'm planning to see it sometime in the next week, I've seen and played it a bit before, then it seemed in quite good condition. At the moment I have an Ibanez GRX-20 and a 10W Ibanez amp.
Also your opinions on the guitar would be great aswell.

Thanks!
I'm in the 'Australia FTW' Club. Join

Hi
That's exactly the guitar that I want. However, if I were you, I would order it from Musician's Friend.com due to a lower price. Get it though man, you will be glad you did!
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
the epiphone sg special is the lowest (sg-shaped) epiphone model. It's definitely not worth that price.

Remember, when it comes to Gibson/Epiphone.. special = bad cut down piece of ****.

Your GRX20 is probably better than that.
there only 285 aus new.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
EPIPHONE SG SPECIAL FOR 250aud jeez major rip off. personally if i were you i would get a new amp
yea for that price you can get a roland cube 30 which would make your tone a lot better than an sg special copy.
Allrighty, so far it's not getting the SG, anyone else?? Are you sure my GRX20 is better? Because it is pretty crap.

Hi
specials are beginner guitars as well.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
i'd say they're on about the same level... but for the money you could buy something better than an epi sg special.

An amp will give you a better sound than a new guitar.
Ahh, they are are they? Hmm, well, I'll still give it a look, because I'm not sure if his right when he says it's an SG Special, I think it's nice though, very light. But I know better then to buy a guitar because it's light.... I hope I do....

Hi
very light could be bad... i mean basswood and mahogany are the best and they're heavy.

On the other hand, alder is light and that's great..

sorry i'm rambling! but yea, if you like it then that's what matters...
First that is a rip-off, and 2nd that guitar kind of sucks.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
the only reason i would suggest the sg is for asthetic purposes, having one of the most evil looking shapes. also, first impressions?? angus young?? huh??? yea??

but on a more serious note, get a better amp or maybe even a pedal that you will use for eternity. i made the mistake of gettting an epiphone les paul after i had my texas fat strat. the later is the better by far.
Ok guys. I've decieded to get a newer amp and a pedal instead. Thanks for your help!

Hi
now the question is... which amp? lol

Try a Roland Cube 30 (i'm not sure how much they cost in australia)

And if you wanna buy a pedal, check out the Digitech DF-7 it's amazing!
No good amp is gonna cost less than AU$250

Roland Cube is a good AU$300+
Vox ad30vt is abour AU$500~

Guess you gotta save up if you want an amp
Good choice on upgrading your amp. Specials are crap, which means epi specials are really really crap.

And I found a site which offers a Vox AD30VT for $424. I think their prices for Vox amp's are nice, dunno about the other stuff thoug. The price list could come in handy for haggling

http://www.haworthguitars.com.au/control/product/~category_id=647/~product_id=vox-AD30VT
I just did the big email round to suppliers here in Oz for the Vox amps and

http://www.turramusic.com.au/

gave me the sweetest deal, AD50VT for $570 delivered (interstate shipping too), email them for a price on the AD30VT
An Epiphone SG Special is only worth $150 USD. The dudes full of ****. Tell him to lower it down to like, $120-$130 USD and then you'll have a deal.
Quote by treagar
I just did the big email round to suppliers here in Oz for the Vox amps and

http://www.turramusic.com.au/

gave me the sweetest deal, AD50VT for $570 delivered (interstate shipping too), email them for a price on the AD30VT

I had a look on thier site, but I couldn't see the AD50VT in thier stock. Is it not in thier? Special order or something??

Hi
Quote by JD7
I had a look on thier site, but I couldn't see the AD50VT in thier stock. Is it not in thier? Special order or something??

Nah a lot of the Vox dealers didn't have any on the site but most got back to me saying they have or can get them, drop them an email and ask but they definately have the AD50VT in stock, well they did earlier today, even though it wasn't listed on the site.

Quote by metallicafan180
An Epiphone SG Special is only worth $150 USD. The dudes full of ****. Tell him to lower it down to like, $120-$130 USD and then you'll have a deal.

The RRP on the Epiphone SG Special in Oz is AU$349 (approx US$270), we pay heaps down here for instruments. They can be had new for AU$270ish though.

http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=ENSGCH
That's free shipping too JD7 so yeah don't get the 2nd hand one for $250
Last edited by treagar at May 10, 2006,
Cool, thanks. I just emailed them, asking about thier AD30's and AD50's. And I think that the Epiphone Special os out the window for me But i'm just glad the AD's have fair bit of effects. They do don't they?? I'm pretty sure they do. Meant to be good amp's from what I can gather.

Hi