Hey everyone,

I'd like to start playing some small gigs. I have most of the gear I think I'll be needing. But my question is, how do you set up for a gig? Specifically I'm interested in how you get output. Do you use a direct box or mic your amp? What kind of amp / mic, where do you place the mic, where are you onstage compared to the other members of the band (i.e. left side, back by the drums, etc)?

Any other tips are welcome as well.

Thanks.
Dude, where's your drums? Where's your drums dude? Dude, where's your drums? Dude.
Small gigs?

Amp volume up as loud as you need, EQ to taste, and raise your amp off the ground for more projection.
placing the mic in front of a cabinet would make things better. But be sure not to put it too close to amp . also stand a bit far from the amp .( this is really important if you are a singer cuz of feedbacks..etc). i am a lead guitar/back vox and i stand a bit right of the drums but this changes occasionally. my suggestion is play as much as possible in those kind of gigs. you will get experienced soon...congrats..!
what amp? whats ur setup like?
and what do u consider a small venue.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
To truly help we need to know more about year gear. Since your just starting to gig you'll probably be one of the first bands to play. Set up everything before hand and when the owner of the establishment will give you a ok to start. Turn everything on. If your not first set up your amps and make sure everything can be powered and then unconnect the cables. After the bands before you play all you have to do is plug in your guitar and pedal chain.
i set up my gutars, make sure everything works
keep my backup neer the stage
then eq amp/pedals
soundcheck from mates/ techs
ROCK!
I'd just use a big amp. You need at least 50 watts SS power to play in, say, a school theatre, but I prefer to have a bit more just in case. I don't like the idea of mic'ing. Don't ask why, I just don't.
My gear...

Fender Strat
1978 Fender Twin Reverb tube amp (110 Watts)
Audix OM2 Mic (Basically a Shure SM57 with a little more versatility.)
A few Boss Pedals, chained

My idea of a small venue would be a medium sized church... or an average sized school auditorium. Mostly I'll be playing in churches with friends from worship bands, if that gives you any kind of an idea.

Thanks.
Dude, where's your drums? Where's your drums dude? Dude, where's your drums? Dude.
i think ur more than fine. nice little set up.

when u ask about the mic, do u mean micing ur amp for guitar volume into a PA?

cause urs should be more than loud enough without mic'ing.

if u mean mic'ing for vocals then we can talk.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011