This has probably been asked millions of times before, but... I've been playing guitar for a year, but didn't decide til recently I'm really going to work hard to get as good as possible. My initial thought when getting the guitar would be to learn some chords and just play when I felt like, but now I'm gonna start in a band.

I master all chords without problems, open and barre, I have no problems with palm muting or moving my fingers fast over the fretboard...but. The solos.

Sure, I might be able to play a series of note fairly quickly, but it doesn't really sound like a solo. I guess I'm lacking some solo techniques, like tapping and string bending.

So if someone could post a few simple tips of how to make my solos actually sound like solos, that'd be great. I tried the lessons, but none really suited my needs.

Thanks in advance.

-DW
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
right when you bend strings, the best way to do it is to put two fingers "behind" the note that you are playing, on the same string, so you can support the string when your bending, making it easier to bend, as for tapping that isnt completely necessary for solos, their for just being flashy, but neway you can do tapping by pressing on the fret but not actually plucking it. right hand tapping is jus the same kinda thing so that you can a wider range of notes without having to move your hand at light speed.
hope that helped
i advise you buy a scales book and get a guitar teacher (or ask the one you have if you ave one)
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
The best way to compose a scale would be to use bends, slides, hamer-ons, pull-offs, trills, etc. and with keeping those techniques in mind, let your fingers do all the work inside a scale (if you don't know scales, learn them pentatonics). Remember play only the notes within the scale until you feel like you're ready to venture outside the scale's position. Let your mind just fall into the music, and hopefully a nice solo will come out. It will take time and effort, but don't give up.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Well, to start off, learn a scale. I'd suggest a minor pentatonic scale. Familiarize yourself with the notes in that scale. Add some bends, slides, trills, legatos, etc. and viola, you have a solo. Much easier said than done. The more you play, the easier it will be to hear the notes in your head before you play them and figure out what sounds good. It comes with practice

Thanks alot for your help. But its exactly the techniques, slides, trills, legatos, tapping, its those I do not understand.

So if someone at least could explain abit about various techniques, I'd be extremely glad. The lessons are all too theoretical, I'd rather hear about how you learned the techniques, etc.

Thanks alot for the bending tip, matttt, I've tried it and it sounds good.
Thanks a bunch for all your help, its greatly appreciated.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Slides - Moving your finger across the fretboard when a note is ringing, so the note 'slides' from one to another

Trills - Fluctuating, e.g.
1212121212, or 35353535353

Legatos - Hammer on and pull off

Tapping - Using your finger to smash on the fretboard to create a note.
Thanks alot Invictious. I'll try the above
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I learnt the pentatonic scale and different soloing techniques and at first I couldn't really do anything with it, just go up and down and stuff. The way that worked for me is I learnt lots of rock solos. That's the way I learnt to actually apply all the scales and techniques I learnt to make a decent sounding solo.

Maybe someone could argue it's not the best way to do it, but it works.

So yeah, try learning a load of different songs. I began with a lot of Zeppelin (even if you can't play them as well as Page, you can still get the techniques down). The solo from Metallica's Nothing Else Matters is probably a good example of a basic minor pentatonic too.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
You know what gets my goat? A shepherd. Urgh.

Quote by meh!
Pfft, everyone gets your goat, your goat is a goat-slut. She/he/it is like the village uni-cycle..all of the clowns have had a ride..and you live in CLOWN VILLAGE.