Im no guitar pro, so Ive come here. And yeah, I know this thread has been done
too many times, but I need some help. Im looking to get my 2nd electric guitar in the next few months, seeing as I need a serious upgrade (I have an Epiphone Special II ) My desired budget would be $300-$550 CANADIAN. Ive been playing for about two years now. Ive been looking at Fender U.S. Special Highway 1 Stratocaster. Havent played one, but have heard one, and like it a lot. Any pointers or suggestions would be nice.

I know im going to get some responses telling me to go try guitars out and pick one. I understand what youre saying, and its correct, but I just want to go into the store with atleast a bit of knowledge of what Im looking for. Thanks
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
What styles of music do you want to play, and what's your current setup (amps, pedals etc)?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by matttt
an epiphone special aint nothing to be ashamed of

well i guess you can always do worse then what you have...but come on..and epiphone special? cheaper guitars are better quality then that thing.
Gibson SG Specials are now $700 canadian. they are solid guitars.

PRS Tremoli SE's are about $800.

i usually go to www.musiciansfriend.com to read some of the reviews before i go to a store for alot of stuff. just so-like you said-i can have a good idea about what to look for with each particular guitar.
Cream fan club member #11.
Oh, forgot to mention style of music.

I play modern rock and pop-punk mostly. Some nu-metal and metal, and a little ska. I have a Marshall 30 DFX (not worried about that yet) and a Boss Mega Distortion 2.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Quote by TechnicolorBoy
Oh, forgot to mention style of music.

I play modern rock and pop-punk mostly. Some nu-metal and metal, and a little ska. I have a Marshall 30 DFX (not worried about that yet) and a Boss Mega Distortion 2.

so basically you just play power chords through a solid state...well then what guitar you get probably won't seem that much different then what you have now.
Check out Godin guitars. You can pick up a Detour for less than $400 cdn and they are really solid...
Quote by bonchie1
so basically you just play power chords through a solid state...well then what guitar you get probably won't seem that much different then what you have now.

he said not to worry bout it dumbass hes prolly saving or something for a really good amp
Yeah, and not everyone has the money to replace tubes all the time. Back to topic, I think that it depends on feel. (i.e. ibanez would be a little lighter with a slimer faster neck, the gibson, unless you find one with a slim neck, is usually a fat neck, fender is anywhere in that scale depending on which model or which year you look at) now that i think about it, it's pretty much the same deal with the gibsons as the fenders. Personally I think that ibanez and schecter give you the most guitar for your money, but again just my preference. And check the reviews on this site, lots of times they are quite detailed and can really help.
Definately check out the local buy and sells for Ibanez guitars and THEN go the ebay route. If u don't find nething good there, then go to the store and buy it new.

Buying used gives a lot more guitar for less $. Of course, make sure u go to the store first and test out all the guitars and only look for the ones u like. Ibanez guitars will fit ur music style very well.. and they are a great company when it comes to "bang for buck"
Ummm, unless you've found some magical online retailer, your not getting a Highway 1 for under $600 new. Hell, knowing the stores in my area, I'd be lucky to get one used. Gibson is the same way. Godins are all over the place in Ontario, and if you can get one, get the most expencive one you can afford, and you'll probably never need to upgrade again!! They are freaking solid, great sounding guitars.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
dont shun out the mexi strats. If you just play a lot of them you can find some ones there are just as nice quality as the highway 1
haha just like me, played for about 2 years, my first electric guitar is a Special II and I just got a Highway 1 last week! I bought it used with a lace sensor pickup on the neck and a seymour duncan hot rail on the bridge. seems like a pretty nice guitar so far. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it though, might return it if i'm not totally happy with the purchase. after all it is quite an investment for me.
(covers head and waits for agile whoring).....
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music