What would benefit me more?
Right now i have a very veeeeeeeeeeeery crappy fat strat copy, from a national company named "Condor". Its their cheapest model. To give you an ideia squier strats and epiphone specials run for around 3x my guitar price. And i bought it new. Price doesnt mean much, but it gives an ideia.
For the amp, its slightly better i guess. Its Peavey Rage 158. Famous amp so i guess i dont have to talk about it.

So what do you think?
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

already doing that, thank you very much.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Is your guitar made of plywood? if so, upgrade that. other than that, i have no idea how it plays, so its your call.
theoretically and in most cases the amp is gonna be the main point of your sound...but your guitar sounds so crappy and your budget is so tight i'd say just get a nicer guitar. any amp you buy within your pricerange is still gonna be a solidstate low wattage piece of crap.

get a new guitar.
never thought about actually looking for the specs of my guitar. Anyway here it is:

Body Wood - Agathis
Neck - Maple (Bolt On)
Fretboard - Rosewood
Pickups - they only say HSS. I say crappy-ass ones.
Frets - 22

It's from the website. Never heard of this Agathis wood.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

i would say new guitar just because your amp will probably suit you longer than your guitar in your case...assuming you are relatively new to guitar
I was in basically the same situation as you, with the crappy strat ripoff and everything. I ended up going for a new guitar, and it seems like the right choice to me. That amp will last you a while as long as you're not too picky, and a new guitar can really fire you up.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
how much money do u have?

does the strat hold its tune?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
upgrade the amp first
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
i've been playing for two years now. I'm buying stuff on the US cause its everything so more cheap. I'll be able to spend 500 dollars 600 absolute tops. If were to get the guitar i would probably want a guitar body with nice wood (Strat or Paul) and spend some more on the pickups, perhaps putting the original pickups on my current guitar in the hopes of making it a little better.`

^About holding its tune. Yeah, it does i guess. One of its few nice features.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Get a lower end Ibanez, Epiphone or a used MIM Fender Fat Strat and a Roland Cube 30. Should be able to get both for $500-600 American. You'll be set for awhile with that setup.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

MIM Fender - $300 to $360 + VOX30 - $230 = $600
Ibanez RG321MH - (PAF Joe / FRED)
Vox AC30
^ I wish you could get a MIM Strat for $300 here in Alaska. They are $510 at Pro Music.

The lower 48 I'm sure has better prices.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Quote by AK Guitarist
^ I wish you could get a MIM Strat for $300 here in Alaska. They are $510 at Pro Music.

The lower 48 I'm sure has better prices.

Huh ~ you can order from guitar center etc and pay extra shipping which isn't that much considering it's normally free.
Ibanez RG321MH - (PAF Joe / FRED)
Vox AC30
yeah id definately get a better guitar since any amp you get will not be much better than your current one
Quote by Graphicism
Huh ~ you can order from guitar center etc and pay extra shipping which isn't that much considering it's normally free.

Its only free if you live in the lower 48. I've tried ordering guitars online, but they rape you up the ass in shipping, which is usually over $120 American (stange since it costs less than $20 to ship Priority Mail, the only way you can send packages here). Then you're paying just about as much either way, but you run the risk of it being damaged during shipping.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

The big problem with MIM strats is that their quality control is crap(at least what i heard). And since i'm ordering from Brazil i can get a bad guitar, or an awesome one too, but its a big risk. If it wasnt for that i would get one of them for sure.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Quote by Calvero
The big problem with MIM strats is that their quality control is crap(at least what i heard). And since i'm ordering from Brazil i can get a bad guitar, or an awesome one too, but its a big risk. If it wasnt for that i would get one of them for sure.

Like they might buzz a little or have an imperfection in the finish or something didn't quite get tightened correctly? All that could be fixed or ignored for little or nothing. And an MIM would be a damn site better than what you have now, according to your own account.

You get an MIM fat - Strat and a Vox AD30VT and I'll bet you're happy for a while
^I actually heard you can get a bad guitar out of repair. Stuff with the wood and others.

Is it really just that? Cause if it is, you've just made my day.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

I own three of them, I have no complaints. Jenny owns at least a couple. They are not as nice as their American counterparts, the pick-ups are not as hot, etc., and you'll hear a lot of people complain about "tone" most of whom may or may not know what they are talking about. Get another's opinion, don't buy based on just mine, but I'd be quite suprised if you ended up with a mexican rig that was unplayable
Thats just awesome.If the pickups arent really good doesnt matter really cause i would be switching them not long in future. The quality of the wood itself is most important. From what youre saying it appears to be alright.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

i wish i could say that all the new MIM strats are all good but ive played a few that werent.

a little upsetting. all in all they are good guitars, i just wish u could try it before purchase.

mines old and i love it but i cant say u arent going to get a dud.

if u werent sure for single coil vs humbucker and might prefer a humbucker, id put more stock behind a $300 USD schecter omen. at least they are more consistent.

i love MIM strats dont get me wrong, and probably ull be fine, but thats one brand id rather try first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

You're amp isn't half bad I guess, Peavey doesn't really have any terrible amps. So get a new guitar first.
Quote by jj1565
i wish i could say that all the new MIM strats are all good but ive played a few that werent.

a little upsetting. all in all they are good guitars, i just wish u could try it before purchase.

mines old and i love it but i cant say u arent going to get a dud.

if u werent sure for single coil vs humbucker and might prefer a humbucker, id put more stock behind a $300 USD schecter omen. at least they are more consistent.

i love MIM strats dont get me wrong, and probably ull be fine, but thats one brand id rather try first.

i have an omen6. great guitar, and mines still stock.
i imagine with new pups, itll dominate.
then you still have money left over.
^ This omen looks great really, specially that FR model, everything i would want.
But it has basswood body. I've heard that basswood is inferior to alder and mahogany.
Schecter's higher models have mahogany bodies, so wouldnt it be better to get an Epi LP or SG for the price? How's epi's quality control in comparison to MIM guitars? I know i made a thread about this a while ago, but didnt really compare it to fenders.

Godamnit! So much stuff to consider... driving me kinda nuts.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

basswood isnt inferior, its just different.

its lighter than mahogany, not as deep a sound.

alot of ibanez are made of basswood.

anyway, i have a schecter, an couple of fenders and an epi.
they are all good. but u can get a dog from any company.
so get the guitar u want.

if u play classic rock, get a strat. if u play metal or heavy rock ull probably need at least one humbucker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok i'll just accept the risk of getting a bad guitar and decide upon the guitar itself.
Epi LP, Fat Strat and the Omen-6. Hm...

Guess all i can do is keep my fingers crossed

Thanks a lot anyway, now i'm sure i'm getting a guitar.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Quote by Calvero
ok i'll just accept the risk of getting a bad guitar and decide upon the guitar itself.
Epi LP, Fat Strat and the Omen-6. Hm...

Guess all i can do is keep my fingers crossed

Thanks a lot anyway, now i'm sure i'm getting a guitar.

That's the main thing, get a guitar and play it! And, uh, Jenny, have you ever really seen a MIM that couldn't be adjusted to correct specs? Makes me wonder if I'm out of touch since I own three, like them all. Bought a used standard tele, buzzes a little, I know that can be fixed, have an HH and a 60th anniversary model both from Musician's Friend. I can't find anything wrong with them. After I wear out the first set of strings, then I'll take them to my local dealer for adjustments and to set 'em up to my preference.

All three stay in tune, intonate properly, and play easily.

I've not met many guitars I didn't like (B.C. RIch excluded)