ok, so im debating whether to by an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus...or to buy a cheap guitar and customize it...by customize i mean take it all apart, strip the body, re-paint it in my own style...and put new pups in it...im hoping to find a Strat style body with 3 single coil pickups...and for replacements i was thinking about DiMarzio Super Distortion S, Fast track and Pro track (or i think thats what the last two are called)...but what do you guys think about this?...good idea or bad?...what should i look for?...how can i tell what kind of body is on the crappy strat?...and i have seen a few around that LOOK like they have maple neck, but they are really cheap guitar so i dont think its real maple, anyway what should i do? (and no "buy bodies from warmoth" cause as nice as they are, i cant buy ANYTHING off the internet..so dont say to use ebay either)

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

The wood'll be your downfall.

Other than that, have a ball.

Mainly, you'll be able to find out what the guitar's made of when you buy it... And I know that all the guitar shops I go to have components as well.
^ you mean the body?...and if the body is ****, does that mean the whole project would be a waste cause it will sound like **** overall?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

The project might not be a complete waste...

But a crap guitar won't become a great guitar because of new electronics.

You could maybe fiddle with it enough to make a decent guitar... But you can't make a $100 guitar into a $1000 guitar.
^^ yea, you basicly hit the nail right on the head. Crap wood, like the kind squier uses (agathis) doesnt compare to maple, ash or mahogany. The tone is dull and sustain is weak. Good pickups will only help so much.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
There's the option of having a luthier or carpenter make a body for you... But then, you might as well have the entire guitar made for you.
i know those k-mart guitars have strats with 3 single coils and i think they're like $100. but for the wood i don't know. just buy different parts. i'm sure a shop sells everything somewhere. think of what people did before the internet was useful.
If you need a part for a guitar, then it's probable that a guitar shop will be able to order the parts in for you.

You can also mail order from magazines.
I did that, its one ****ing hell of a shred machine after you add some emgz, a whole new neck and a new paint job
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Quote by ShutDown785
^^ yea, you basicly hit the nail right on the head. Crap wood, like the kind squier uses (agathis) doesnt compare to maple, ash or mahogany. The tone is dull and sustain is weak. Good pickups will only help so much.

well, idk know, maybe i got a good squire then- because the tele i got had awsoem tone- even with a cheap squire electroncis

it was 5 piece body- but it still sustained for days and played SWEET
I had a 3 peace alder Squier Strat, sounded great with some upgrades.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
For the most part the biggest issues wiht low quality guitars, are wood and neck. If the neck and body wood is alright, then you should be good to go.
I was also thinking on that. the mexican strat is made of a better wood than squiers (i think). You my opinion you should buy a mexican strat and put some good pickups.
Squiers can have plywood, or Agathis, or Alder bodies and they're manufactured in various countries ... Indonesia, Korea, Japan, China, and who knows where else. The MIJ Squier that I have is Alder and the individual PU routing and component solder are noticeably cleaner than the few MIA Fenders that I've dismantled and upgraded. It's not appropriate to compare a China-made Squier to one from Japan and conclude the whole line is cr4p based on the worst manufactured model. Very misleading.
Quote by Ippon
Squiers can have plywood, or Agathis, or Alder bodies and they're manufactured in various countries ... Indonesia, Korea, Japan, China, and who knows where else. The MIJ Squier that I have is Alder and the individual PU routing and component solder are noticeably cleaner than the few MIA Fenders that I've dismantled and upgraded. It's not appropriate to compare a China-made Squier to one from Japan and conclude the whole line is cr4p based on the worst manufactured model. Very misleading.

I don't think Squiers are made in Japan anymore (or have been, the last decade).
You just have to keep your eyes open for a good squier body. You should be able to find one made out of alder that will suit your needs. Alder is what most strats (Fender or otherwise) are made out of, after all.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
deos anyone know what Jay Turser bodies are made out of?...all it says on the site is "solid body'
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

i went onto the squier website to see what type of wood my squiers body has an it says contoured alder. Can somebody explain this me? I want to know if its worth an upgrade.
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry