Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying an acoustic and I have around $550 to spend. If you have any suggestions for brand names I should check out when I go to try some guitars, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Viruk
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
I've also been looking at some acoustics at that price range, I'm REALLY not sure, but I was looking for some Ibanez's, but thats only an option.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Washburn's are good! There are a couple at that price range, I suggest buying a washburn...they sound great!
Washburns are amazing...i highly suggest. im currently playing a washburn with some elixir polyweb strings. i love it.
I wouldn't buy an Ibanez. All of the Ibanez acoustics I have played have sounded kind of hollow.

Washburns are good, I had one and really liked it. I would also look at the Alvarez Artist series.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Thanks for the tip so far

I forgot to mention, just incase I should clarify - I just want an acoustic, not acoustic-electric and I'll be using it for Neil Young type folk stuff.

Im thinking of a dreadnought body but maybe a cutaway would be good.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
I also reccomend Yahama, especially the the Yahama DW.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
You usually can't get a cutaway without electronics, unfortunately.

If you can stretch your price limit to $600, I would definietly look at the Alvarez MD60. All solid wood; mahogany sides and back, cedar top. Has a nice warm tone, and it $600 with a case.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=518831

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
i havent played a good ibanez or yahmaha acoustic. Theyre thin as hell, they are pretty much plywood and they dont "boom". I feel like im going to break it just holding it.

....and fsb it looks like you have both
Hmmm, I have an Electric/Acoustic Celebrity Ovation, which is roundback. I love it, it's my baby. It's about 450... My dad bought mine for 500 though. -.-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=513271

I have that exact one, but mine's black. :>
Last edited by youripmyx3out at May 10, 2006,
Quote by JET116
i havent played a good ibanez or yahmaha acoustic. Theyre thin as hell, they are pretty much plywood and they dont "boom". I feel like im going to break it just holding it.

....and fsb it looks like you have both

Yes just because YOU haven't played a good yamaha/ibanez, that means NO ONE should get the brand. pffff wake up and play a guitar from the Yamaha FG series.. and my ibanez is an electric (which im selling soon for $ towards an '88 MIJ Fender Strat)
Alvarez Guitars

Just browse around and find one you like.

Alvarez has some of the best guitars around for that price range. I have one myself and it has really great tone. IMO, it sounds better than some of the higher priced guitars out there. The RD8 and RD10 series are the cheaper guitars of the bunch. I believe you can get an RD8 for around $300 from Musician's Friend. If you want to spend a little more, check out their Artist series. They go for about $450 to $700.
I got a Garrison cutaway with electronics for 450 and I constantly get complimented on it.
www.myspace.com/theflyingelderly
We're Progressive Funk Rock (Frog Rock)

Founding Member of the Vermont Cult
PM Me to join

Quote by magnus_maximus
MAD should do its job and it'll all be hunky-dory.
Washburn D10S.

Voted best acoustic under $500 AND best acoustic under $700.

I have one and it's amazing.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Never played a Washburn but I do know that Yamaha does make some pretty awesome guitars if you are willing to pay the price for one. As for myself, my friend who sells guitars talked me out of getting something for around $500 and talked me into getting a Larivee. The reason is simply sound and quality. He can get me an $1800 guitar for around $1200. Since I'm in no rush to buy a 3rd acoustic I can just sit back and wait until I'm done with massage school so I can start bringing in some cash to be able to afford one.
Quote by fsb_ben
Yes just because YOU haven't played a good yamaha/ibanez, that means NO ONE should get the brand. pffff wake up and play a guitar from the Yamaha FG series.. and my ibanez is an electric (which im selling soon for $ towards an '88 MIJ Fender Strat)

My point was that i havent played a single ibanez or yamaha acoustic...ever. So there are plenty bad ones out there. There may be some good ones out there but Ibanez is more or an "electric" brand they dont make acoustics very well. I would go with somthing else that has a good solid reputation (for reliability and quality). (alvarez, taylor, martin ect) Not because everyone plays one but because they are reliable, and will last..
Canadian Art and Lutherie, a part of the Godin family. I own this guitar, and I have had many people tell me it's the best acoustic they have every played.
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
My advice for what it's worth,
Select a few of the major makers out there, do a bit of research.
Primary things to look for:

Solid spruce or cedar top (Not laminated read: plywood.) You can usually see the gain run around the edge at the soundhole. A solid top will age and mellow as vibration passes through it over time. A laminated top ie: Washburn (Sorry folks but almost all of their guitars run laminated tops) won't change and develop character.
-If you store your solid top guitar near a stereo speaker when not playing, it will age that much faster as the vibration from whatever you are playing will constantly be vibrating the wood-

Good construction. No glue and gunk left over or poor finish jobs.

Adjustablility. You will eventually want the guitar set up how you like it. Some shops will sell a package of setups by their Luthier for a fixed amount. That's a pretty good way to go until you know what you like.

Good quality tuners that hold tune and fretting that is spaced correctly.

Play a lot to find what sounds best and feels best to you. You are dropping your hard earned change on this thing so make it something you will enjoy for a long time.

Companies I like:
Martin (My travel guitar)
Laravee
Taylor
(The above listed are the BIG BUCKS BOYS)

Alvarez
Seagull
A&L
Simon and Patrick
The Peavy Briarwood Series (My primary 6 string. Sounded better than any other at the shop for a lot less $$)
Older Takamines
Doc
Semper Fi! Corpsman Up!
Iraq 2003 1st Marines RCT 1
Gear:
Peavy Briarwood A/E $8 in a Pawn Shop
Martin 3/4 LXM Traveler
Galveston Dobro
ALWAYS CLEARTONE STRINGS!!!
I would recommend an Alvarez from the professional series or artists seris....or if you want to spend 50 more bucks go for a masterworks. For that price range you can get an all solid body guitar from Alvarez so thats my vote. Or take a look at timberline, its right around the same price and handmade however they only have a limited amount of dealers
I am quite fond of the Martin DX1 i got for about that price. It's got a nice, thick sound.
Oh Shit!
DUDE i have the perfect guitar for that price..i have this guitar ..its a Takamine G Series mine is red..it sounds like a 1500 dollar guitar for 550..it sounded better than some of the high priced martins to me!!
Here is 10 of the best greatest acoustic electric guitars under $500 for everyone who are looking for a top acoustic electric guitar under $500.

Cordoba C5-CE Acoustic Electric Classical Guitar
Price: $399.99 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic-Electric Guitar Player Pack
Price: $199.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Fender T-BUCKET-300CE Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar
Price: $188.12 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Takamine G Series EG340SC Dreadnought Acoustic Electric Guitar, Natural
Price: $342.02 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QIT Acoustic-Electric Guitar Rustic
Price: $499.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Jasmine by Takamine ES33C Acoustic Guitar Pack
Price: $188.12 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Luna Oracle Acoustic-Electric Guitar, Crane
Price: $349.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Yamaha APX500 Acoustic Electric Guitar, Oriental Blue Burst
Price: $299.99 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Jasmine by Takamine ES31C Acoustic Electric Guitar
Price: $159.95 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Ovation Celebrity CC28 Acoustic-electric Guitar, Black
Price: $316.17 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

You can see and listen to the guitar sound examples at http://acousticelectricguitarz.com/10-best-acoustic-electric-guitars-under-500/

That's a bunch of good options for you. Hope it helps. Good luck!
Quote by Shredding Sam
Canadian Art and Lutherie, a part of the Godin family. I own this guitar, and I have had many people tell me it's the best acoustic they have every played.

Same. I had a Martin owner tell me she will be buying one instead of a Martin next time.