I'm going to buy a new guitar and my top choice right now is this one... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=519391 I'm still somewhat of a nOOb, only a year and a half under my belt, so I have a few questions about the guitar.

1. Can anyone tell me anything about the pick-ups? It just says "2 humbuckers"
2. What is a bound fretboard?
3. What do they mean by 5-ply top, back, and headstock binding?
4. Carved alder top with mahogany back?

I would also appreciate any and all opinions on the guitar...

THANKS MUCH
1. stock epiphone pickups. not too bad, not too good- bout what i would expect
2.Pretty sure this means its just glued down
3.No idea
4. It means they took a piece of alder, carved it up, and glued it to a mahogany back. Pretty sure it helps brighten up the tone.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
1. Standard Epi pickups... theyre ok
2. Binding is like a strip of plastic that sort of looks like an outline for the guitar... its just for looks...
3. headstock binding - same as binding... its just on the headstock.
4. its got a mohagony body, but they got an alder wood block and carved the shape of the guitar, and glued it onto the mohagony... so its got a brighter tone.
1. Stock Epiphone pickup's. good for a noob. need decent amp.
2. Bound fretboard. Has a white(usually) strip that covers the joint between neck and fretboard.
3. 5 ply binding is thin pieces of binding in the pattern of the strip of plastic binding(probably is pretty nice)
4. same as what smooth said, probably a nice choice venear to make the front look nice.

Nice guitar for the price. Epiphones are well built. They are built over seas though. Also it seems that if you get the guitar from Musician's Friend or AMS, the shipment methods they use aren't very carefull with your products, so be leary of loose wires and knobs, things like that. But if you keep it in a case when you're not using it and take care of it, the thing will last till you die.
Last edited by astrocreep71 at May 9, 2006,
^They also rape you on shipping if you live anywhere but the Lower 48 US. They wanted US$128 to ship a US$150 acoustic up here. I ended up buying an acoustic while I was in Texas, USA and I had it shipped Priority (5-7 days typically to Alaska, fastest method) for US$17. Somebodies getting fucked and I think its daddy!
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Thanks to all... I learned something today! Luckily I live in the lower 48 so I think I get free shipping. My roomate bought an EC-400 from Musician's Friend and the bridge pick-up didn't work when it arrived so yea.. you gotta be careful.
Custom has slightly better looksa nd I think slightly improved pickups. That custom is a limited edition "Guitar of the Month" that Epiphone is putting out, based on the original Silverburst Les Paul Custom Gibson made. It should be pretty good. What are you playing now, because I can say Les Pauls (Even Epiphones, which aren't solid mahogany) are heavy.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I have a metal master warlock now so I'm used to a heavy guitar. I'm looking forward to a shorter scaled, not-so neck heavy guitar! I noticed the reference to the "original" in the description but I've never really seen one... I think I'll go look right now!
Quote by checco13
My roomate bought an EC-400 from Musician's Friend and the bridge pick-up didn't work when it arrived so yea.. you gotta be careful.

MF is good about fixing mistakes, though. I've ordered countless items from them and had a few pedals that didn't work. They sent for a pickup via Fed Ex the next day and shipped me a brand new one as well as refunding my shipping. Its a setback, but they make up for it. Stuff like that happens, its all good.

Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Yea definately! MF is more than willing to help you out when they mess up. He called them back the next day and sent the guitar back. He was jammin on his new axe in less than a week.
I had the opportunity recently to play a black Epi Les Paul Custom. Great guitar. Nice finishing, nice, low action.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by checco13
I have a metal master warlock now so I'm used to a heavy guitar. I'm looking forward to a shorter scaled, not-so neck heavy guitar! I noticed the reference to the "original" in the description but I've never really seen one... I think I'll go look right now!

That's NOT a heavy guitar, it's made of agathis!
not so neck heavy
"No one ? and I repeat, no one ? has ever died for a flag. See, a flag ... is just a piece of cloth. They may have died for freedom, which is also the freedom to burn the f*ckin' flag, see. That's freedom." - Bill Hicks
Quote by checco13
I have a metal master warlock now so I'm used to a heavy guitar

Cough. Cough.
Ok you got me... I guess the warlock isn't that heavy, but it's bulky! and Neck Heavy!