Hey, I dont know much at all abotu pots but ii know 500k is generally used for humbuckers and 250 for SCs. I am makign a strat with 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil. what should i do about pots? the most imporotant thing to me is the humbucks so i am think about 500k but if anyone could lighten me up a bit and tell me the difference in sound and stuff. I want to make my buckers sound as good as they possibly could ( I play classic metal and classic rock). how would 500k effect a single coil? thanks oh and is it possible to have 500k pot for each bucker and a 250 for the single coil? thanks again
potentiometers change the resistance.. 500K stands for 500 kiloOhms.... the resistance changes between 500 kohms and 0 ohms. 0 ohms is when your volume is turned all the way down and 500k is when its full blast. so the value of the pot really only the determines the level of gradualness that your volume will rise and descend at. so the bigger the pot value the smoother it will sound.

hope that helps..
To want is to buy, but to live is to die and you can?t take it all
would a 500k sound bad with a single couil and would a 250 k sound bad with a humbucker an dif so how would it sound. also what do u mean by smooth what other differences in tone owuld there be?
are u hooking both the humbuckers up to tone knobs?

check out ibanez guitars. soo if u like the roll off on their HSH.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
hmm could you explain bout how it works again cus i still dont quite get it fully. hmm so if i didnt want any tone knobs i wouldnt need and potometers? 500k pot allowes u to give more tone than 250?
stewmac.com...

250K vs. 500K
Generally, 500K-ohm pots are used with humbuckers and 250Ks are used with single-coil pickups. 25K pots are used for active systems.

You can use any value you like, but a 250K will give a slightly warmer tone than a 500K pot. The 250K pot bleeds off (attenuates) some of the high frequencies to ground. A 1Meg-ohm pot will attenuate even less than a 500K pot, so if you want to hear your guitar "wide open" you may want to try one.

... i cant explain it better.

also when u see Fat strats, the bridge humbucker isnt normally hooked up to a tone knob at all. so, in that case, no knob changes are usually done.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

so if i decide not to hook my pups up to the tone nob i wont need pots?
and could i make a 500k pot for the buckers and a 250k for the SCs?
i think u got it. ^

what i mean is, some pickups arent controlled by a tone.
for example the bridge humbucker in a fat strat. that is always full, only controlled by a volume knob.

now, it doesnt have to be that way. some guys will hook it up to one of the 2 tones, there are endless wiring possiblities.

also, there are a couple of humbuckers like high treble JB or maybe an invader, that might sound better with a 250 tone knob.
So, be more specific. what pups ur looking at, and ask around about ibanez guitar, because im too lazy to look but they have a lot of HSH combos.

so u might as well see what u like the best.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62