I am wondering how you get the tone and sound of bands like killswitch engaged and atreyu, songs in drop c. I am playing an EXP EC1000 with the EMB 81 and 60 combo, and a Crate GLX30. Do i need an over drive pedel or some such?

thanks for any advice, and please be a constructive critic if thats what you have to offer, im a newbie.

-K
Quote by thejackel16
I am wondering how you get the tone and sound of bands like killswitch engaged and atreyu, songs in drop c. I am playing an EXP EC1000 with the EMB 81 and 60 combo, and a Crate GLX30. Do i need an over drive pedel or some such?

thanks for any advice, and please be a constructive critic if thats what you have to offer, im a newbie.

-K

You're not going to get any kind of tone out of a Crate.

Unless your idea of tone involves plugging in to Helen Keller.

That's pretty much what Crates sound like.

You'd have to get a much better amp: at the very least, something like a Roland Cube 30, but it'd be far better to have something like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier or another (borderline ridiculous) high-gain tube amp.
Well, my best suggestion would be to get a better amp. I dispise SS Crate combo amps. Your guitar is worthy of so much better of an amp. If you have a decent amp with a decent distortion, you won't need any pedals.

BTW, overdrive pedals are best suited for tube amps. They overdrive the amp. Distortion is what you're thinking of. I reccomend a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. Absolutely nasty pedal with the proper settings (I can supply a few that have been good to me), but you can tweak it to get even a mild overdrive for blues and classic rock.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

I would recommend an amps swap, something like the VOX Valvetronix series or maybe a MESA.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
You're a newbie with SUCH A NICE GUITAR!?!?!?! What I have to say is get a new amp.
Quote by Vindication
You're not going to get any kind of tone out of a Crate.

Unless your idea of tone involves plugging in to Helen Keller.

That's pretty much what Crates sound like.

I agree, to an extent. Thier little SS combos outright blow. Distortion is thin, fizzy and toneless. Crate tube combos, tube half stacks and upper end SS half stacks like the GT3500H sound pretty dang good. Only downfall of the GT3500H is that it doesn't have a three band EQ on the lead channel. Just a "Tone" knob. I'd expect more from a $1,000 amp head, but you can still get it to scream.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

well then, who wants to trabe their marshall stack for my crate? real good amp guys, has 16 built in effects.......;-)
Quote by thejackel16
well then, who wants to trabe their marshall stack for my crate? real good amp guys, has 16 built in effects.......;-)

Quote by thejackel16
ok ok, since i am stuck with this amp for a bit, till i can purchase a nice tube amp, what settings do you sugggest on it to produce a decent sound? for the solo channel, there is gain, shape, and level. for clean, level, low, med, high. oh, and the DSP know, for the built in effects.

thanks!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=487686&src=3SOSWXXA

It may have a couple effects, but its still a cheap and crappy SS Crate combo amp. You WON'T get anywhere close to a KSE or Atreyu tone. It just won't happen, no matter your settings.

Your pretty limited with your settings on the lead channel (obviously). If memory serves me correctly, the higher your turn your shape, the more treble and bass you get, kind of a scooped mids effect. Neither of those bands have really high mids, so just turn the gain up and adjust the shape until you blend in. Again, you won't get thier tone.

For a clean channel, boost your mids a little, fair amount of treble and bass around halfway. I don't have your amp right here in front of me, so I can't promise you that will even sound decent.

As for effects, you don't really need much. Maybe a touch of reverb if you choose.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn