I'm not a pro, and don't quote me---but i'm pretty sure it's the motion of sweeping through 4, 5 or 6 strings and then coming back down. In an arpeggio type of riff.

Sorry if it's wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's it.
when you strum a chord, its easier if you strum slowly, anyways, when you strum a chord, you take your fingers off the strings in the order of how you strum them. i'm not good at explaining things, but hopefully this will help you. if you want an example, listen to Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry. the beginning riff does that.
I'll put it simply...

It's really... really... hard...
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
Quote by Shifty155
I'll put it simply...

It's really... really... hard...

na, its one of those things that just click... u practice for weeks and dont seem to get better then all the sudden you can do it perfectly
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
Quote by n0e
na, its one of those things that just click... u practice for weeks and dont seem to get better then all the sudden you can do it perfectly

in other words, considered, really hard.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
In one day, a few weeks ago I was suddenly from thinking its impossible, to being able to do 3 string sweeps... I can almost get a fourth in there but then my hand gets a little wimpy..
Sweep picking (also refered to as an arpeggio) is where you voice the single notes of a chord. The reason it's called sweep picking is basically the fact that you sweep your pick over the strings without picking. By doing this, and lifting your finger off each note after it's voiced, you have just sweep picked.
Originally posted by TMH88
Im not trying to brag or anything, but im pretty good for only having been playing a month. I play about 1-2 hours every day, about 35 days strait....

Yay for 35 day months!
Quote by xGuitarGodx99
im a pretty advanced player, and im pretty embarressed to ask but wat is sweep picking

Basically playing the notes of a chord, kind of like an arpeggio. When you play it, you are supposed to "sweep"/glid your pick over the strings to make it sound more fluent while muting the strings with your fretting hand and/or palm muting.

holly **** so its just an arpeggio but u lift ur fingers up after u sound the note i feel lik a total moron
Quote by xGuitarGodx99
holly **** so its just an arpeggio but u lift ur fingers up after u sound the note i feel lik a total moron

Well, I'm not sure if that's the best way of describing it, but as suggested earlier, check out this video:

Steal This Video: Sweep Picking

It's good