What is a good reach in number of frets. Like with index finger on the 1st fret what fret should I be able to reach with my pinky.

The reason I ask is because I am concerned I won't have enough reach. My hands are what I would consider kinda small and my pinky is pretty short.

To give you an idea...on the palm side of my hand...where my palm meets my wrist(where that crease is) to my middle finger is just a little over 8 inches and my pinky is a little under 4 inches.

This is gonna sound homo :P ... but if you could post your measurements that would be great.

Is someone with smaller hands at a disadvantage?
Last edited by Axl_Rose at May 9, 2006,
Its all how you play, really. I don't have an exceptionally long reach myself and I've got at least average sized hands with somewhat long fingers. I can reach from the 1st fret to the 6th fret on a 24.75" scale neck.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

doesn't matter at all. don't stretch more than you need to.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

a good stretch is 1st fret to 5th, you should never have to stretch further than that
I can reach the 6th fret from the first as well and my hands aren't gigantic. It's really, REALLY rare that you'd ever need to stretch that far though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i can reach with my pinky (when my firrst finger is at 1st fret) the 6st fret but that is cause i am 1.95height and my fingers are really long but anyway make some exercises so your fingers can open more to push the frets

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
I can reach from 1st to 7th, but you'll probably never need to go as far as 1st to 5th.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
a good stretch is 1st fret to 5th, you should never have to stretch further than that

+1. And that's only an extreme reach anyway. You may want to practice some stretches high up on the fret board, like past the 15th fret.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
You can learn to stretch more... The more you do it, the farther you'll be able to stretch.

Paul Gilbert wasn't able to stretch that much on his stringskips by magic, you know
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
So what you are saying is that I shouldn't be severely disabilititated with my small hand size haha
Haha, I can get from the first fretbar to the beginning of the 8th fret on a 24.75 scale.

Not like it's useful, I just have huge paws.