I'm playing a relatively large gig on Friday somewhere close to 1,000+ people are estimated. I haven't had to deal with a crowd of this scale before, and I'm wondering what people can recommend for getting the audience pumped up, how to interact with the audience. If it helps I do know a good chunk of the audience and vice versa.
Good luck dude, I almost peed myself when I went in front of 200 people. Lesson Learned : Pee and Take a dump before the show

Phrases to say before or after the show:

"YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?(lol), IT'S TIME TO RAWK!!1"
"GO BUY MY/OUR ALBUM!"
"WHASSAP (name of place)"
"CHELSEA CHARMS HAS THE BIGGEST MILK MACHINES IN THE WORLD, DID YOU KNOW THAT?"

..okay maybe not the last one. But you get the picture.
Thanks, I think I'm really going to focus on strong playing. I've done a few gigs with 200-300 people before and I didn't have much of a problem mainly cause of confidence.
just before and just after a song you should scream at them because this shows confidence, but in between songs like in tune ups etc, you should talk to them in a normal voice about literally anything, thats what we do. also you should let them know that you appreciate them 'thanks for coming to see us' and so on really goes down well, also dedicate songs to people. at one of our biggest gigs our rhythm player/backing singer dedicated a song to all the people in the audience with a vagina haha. all those kind of things show confidence. one last tip which really works is to make yourself look big by streatching your arms out/throwing a fist in the air etc. good luck with that gig , i absolutely crap myself before big gigs, im playing leeds festival 2007 (little brag there =) and im absolutely bricking myself about looking an idiot on stage there....oh and one last thing, if you have any easy chorus's or something then teach them it and let them sing it. =) good luck once again bud
i only wear black until they invent a darker colour

everyone is sh*t....were just all at different levels of sh*t
You'll feel like an idiot doing so, but video tape yourself practicing your "moves" before the show. That way you'll know what looks good, and what doesn't, and you can work on it.

Also, video tape the show, and critique that (oh, and let us see it for sure!).
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Hey guys, that gig was today, there werent as many people as I had been told but it had to do with the scheduling of this event. Anyways things went alright, I got the whole thing on video tape had a hard time even watching it. My voice was all hoarse and my drummer broke his stick without a replacement. My monitors werent working very well so I could ahrdly hear myself, and I kept mis pitching cause the guitar was so loud. But oh well, everyone there seemed to like it so its no big deal, now I know what to do for next time.
Quote by take_it_t
Hey guys, that gig was today, there werent as many people as I had been told but it had to do with the scheduling of this event. Anyways things went alright, I got the whole thing on video tape had a hard time even watching it. My voice was all hoarse and my drummer broke his stick without a replacement. My monitors werent working very well so I could ahrdly hear myself, and I kept mis pitching cause the guitar was so loud. But oh well, everyone there seemed to like it so its no big deal, now I know what to do for next time.

Haha, first shows, always loads of fun!

Is there a way you can get the video on youtube?
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
we got the Audience pumped up in the first 2 minutes by plotting a skit.

what we did was starrt to talk crap to each other and make it seem like it was real, then fake punched our bassist and when our hand goes down, we imeediatly start into the first song.
effu
Quote by BreakingBnj
Haha, first shows, always loads of fun!

Is there a way you can get the video on youtube?

Hah, yeah always great fun, this is only the second gig I've done with this band so I guess I shouldnt really be anticipating to sound like a band whos played 100's of shows. The video footage is a little big I don't really wanna put it on youtube either cause its a pretty crap representation in my opinion. It was also outside and windy, in the middle of a football field.
As long as you talk to them you should be fine. Don't let them see if you're nervous and have as good a time as they'll have.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society