I want to buy a new amp, but i want this to be the last time i ever have to do so.. with that said i want the best amp i could get my hands on (money is not an issue i cant stress that enough). in terms of sound im looking for i like to play stuff like Iron Maiden, Helloween, Metallica, Iced Earth, Stratovarius, Hammerfall etc if u need more examples i can lay them out later.. As i said before money is no issue as long as i have the one amp that i will need for the rest of my life (or until i break it).. It MUST have more than one channel. reverb is nice, but not a necessity cuz i could always buy effects, but i would like at least 100 watts (tube obviously).. it can be a head or a rack setup (ive worked with and liked both) other than that im open to all suggestions and brands (i know some1 is gonna say to try stuff out but where i am only marshall and Mesa are available).. im figuring the big names are like Marshall, Mesa, Engl, Diezel etc but most of the good stuff isnt around here for me.. any help?
Money no object, I'd go for a Deizel VH4, herbert or a VHT or somethin but until I win the lottery, I'll settle for what I've got! Engl's are really good, built like tanks and really, really versatile. The powerball is awesome.
Maiden use Marshall JMP1's and Marshall valve power amps I think. You'd get loads of sound options with that set up if you were goin down the rocky road of rack's.
Last edited by jonnyguitarman at May 10, 2006,
What sound do you want? What guitar do you have? Do you have any pedals?
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
actually i have the marshall rack setup that was mentioned above (JMP-1, 9200 power amp, JFX-1 effect unit, and a rocktron hush and power conditioner).. i do like it a lot.. i guess im just wondering if there are better options out there.. as for my guitars i got 3 USA Jacksons (a DK-1, an SL-1, and a RR-1), and for pedals aside from the JFX-1 (i use a midimate controller) i only use a Dunlop 535Q wah. i do really like my setup but like i said in my origional post brands like ENGL, Diezel etc arent available to me and with that said i was wondering how much better an amp i could really get? how do ENGL, diezel, and VHT compare to 1 another.. and how do they compare to the marshall stuff i got?
engl se, invader, powerball or savage would be worth a look. ditto the diezel vh4 or herbert. pretty much any of those big names should be good- framus, vht, etc.

how important in versatility?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How about Dr. Z. I havn't tried them, but they seem to be really nice. Orange too maybe.
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
c thats the problem.. i know about all those big names (ENGL savage, the Diezel etc) but i cant try any out.. chances are i would have to order one having never seen it in person so id like to get it right the 1st time.. in terms of versatility like i said before as long as there is more than one channel (at least a clean and a distortion) ill be happy.. i can buy effects to take care of the rest id rather the amp sound better than have more crap on it. so i guess what i would need to know is what would be better out of those and why (what differences are there between the ENGLs in terms of sound as well as the other amps)??
Dr. Z is more for cleans/overdrives. He wants a Metal amp.

Anyway, the Powerball is out-and-out metal, quite a bright tone, good for lead. The Invader is super-versatile, it's got four channels with each its own kind of distortion. The Savage and SE, I forget, but I think the SE is the more refined sounding one.
Ok, engl:

powerball: mainly aimed at metal. Has surprisingly good cleans and crunch for a metal amp, but it's still a metal amp, even from the point of view that it has two channels that can do (modern) metal.

savage (i have the savage se, i assume they're similar): more rock than metal, compared to the powerball. only really has one channel that can do modern metal (although channel 3 will do 80's thrash and maiden type stuff). More versatile, IMO. does the hard rock tones a lot better than the powerball, IMO (which kind of jumps from classic rock to modern metal, IMO, unless you tweak it a lot). EDIT: but the powerball does modern metal quite a bit better.

SE: kind of like a powerball and savage together in one amp. Awesome, but an awesome price too.

Invader: not out yet, but initial impressions look really good. Seems to be very versatile, and looks like it'll be a similar price to a savage.

generally, engls have quite a bright and punchy tone. That being said, they're very easy to dial in, but you wouldn't confuse one with a recto, for example (at least without an EQ in the loop).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think i misunderstood what u meant by versatility before.. but basically if there is one amp that can sound like all the bands i listed (ill assume thats an impossibility so ill go with sounding like most of them).. but if im understanding correctly the SE would be best because it does what the powerball does and what the savage does? that would explain the price i suppose, but im also interested in the invader.. i guess i should have been more specific in that what i like most about my current setup is how convienent (i kno some1 is gonna disagree with that 1) the midi setup is.. i dont have to turn off pedals and turn on other ones to change my sound.. so i guess i want something that sounds like the bands i listed, that can be switched around easily
^the major problem is, i'm not too familiar with most of those bands, lol.

The se is the most versatile engl in the current lineup, but that may change when the invader comes out. As far as I know, both have MIDI onboard (i.e. you just need a footcontroller), but i'm unsure as to exactly what that midi lets you control...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the help.. i guess ill wait for the invader before i make a decision.. is anything better than ENGL or is that the general pick around here?
^nah, lots of amps are awesome. The diezel vh4 is a monster, if you can put up with mediocre cleans. It's more hard rock/shred than metal, though. the herbert is the metal diezel and is meant to be awesome, but i haven't tried it.

VHT's and other amps are awesome too. It's really hard to advise when you haven't tried them, lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You're 19 years old looking for your "last amp?" Heh. Good luck with that.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ haha

also, don't go near the harmony central amp forum. ever. or this forum. d'oh!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If money is really no object then you should get a mesa boogie of some kind. They are built to last and have truly incredible tone.
If money is no issue I'd say go for the ENGL SE - I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure the bands he mentioned would benefit from the bright ENGL tone - listening to Hammerfall right now, I'd say they're more ENGL than Mesa (though I'm sure I'll find out soon that they use Mesas having said that!)

^Lol @ Dave
People evolve and grow up and their likes/dislikes change every day. So the sound you want now is NOT the same in 5 or 10 years. Tha amp you are going to buy now is not going to be your last. It's going to be one of many amps. The best thing to (in my opinion) is to get your dream guitar (by that I mean sound and comfort) looks doesn't matter on a guitar as long as it feels good to play it.
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
actually hammerfall is an ENGL band lol.. how does any1 know that im 19? im definately happy with the guitars i got now (if anything i would change the pickups but probly not even), they look awesome they feel great (maybe im used to them maybe they r sposed 2 idk) they r just perfect for me.. ive tried les pauls n stuff but everytime im like "im gonna get like a gibson or fender or anything else" i get another jackson.. you are probly rite in saying in 5-10 years ill want something else, but that in itself is a nice run thatll work for me
I'm stalking you.

No, not really. Your birthday is listed in your profile.
Hi, I'm Peter