I am finally getting a new amp. I need a halfstack for performances and such. Ive looked for awhile and I think ive come to the decision of the Hughes and Kettner Matrix 100. It is about as much as I would like to spend but Ive heard good things on it. I play alternative/hard rock, with a touch of metal and I was wondering if this would be a good amp for it? Also has anyone tried this head or heard it in person? Thanks
I have the combo version, it's great. A word of warning - You have to have the gain down to around 4-6 at gigging volumes to cut a really annoying hum. Although quite why you'd want gain further than 6 is beyond me, because it gets a bit muddy anyway. All in all, a great amp.

There are clips of all the channels on my dmusic if you need convincing about the sound. They're at the bottom.

Although you don't need a halfstack. At all. Save your money and buy the combo, or just save up for a tube combo of some description.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
So do you think the combo would be loud enough for practices, because we have no p.a. and its hard to hear over the drummer.
The combo is 100 watts just like the half stack their gonna sound the same but if you perfer more speakers just buy a avatar 2x12.

How do you like your matrix im thinking about getting the same amp(the combo version)
GEAR:
Gibson Faded V (Dimarzio EVO(B) and GFS Hot Liverpool(N) coiltap in neck)
Squier Mahogany HSS Strat
Squier BSB tele
Bogner 2X12
Vox AD50VT
EPI VJ head
I have a variety of pedals PM if you have to know.

Looking for a new head!
dont get a SS halfstack man. youre just as well off with the combo. I have the combo at work...and i wouldnt consider it too good of an amp for gigging. IMO

a tube combo would be better, of course.
It's easily loud enough to be heard over the drums, and if you tweak the EQ a bit and don't overdo the gain it'll get a pretty good sound at gig volume.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I was also looking at the Peavey Valveking 212, its not too much more and I was wondering if it is a better idea to get it.
^ to the ValveKing

Yes, and with an overdrive pedal.
Boss Overdrive, Boss Super Overdrive, Ibanez Tube Screamer.
it's been botherin me all day after work.

i gota matrix 100 H&K and it's pretty good for me living in the barracks, but today i turn that bitch on and it started ta make this humming noise, like in any volume, i switched the gain to the lowest and everything, i dont fricken get it... any expert can help me ? i've never abused it or anything, played in low volume all the time...help me out please.

Semper Fi
Cpl Chen
Quote by Chevellefan1
I am finally getting a new amp. I need a halfstack for performances and such. Ive looked for awhile and I think ive come to the decision of the Hughes and Kettner Matrix 100. It is about as much as I would like to spend but Ive heard good things on it. I play alternative/hard rock, with a touch of metal and I was wondering if this would be a good amp for it? Also has anyone tried this head or heard it in person? Thanks

The story be told...I bought the H&K Matrix 100 combo in June from a famous mail order American dealer. It arrived safe in a double box. I plugged in and nothing was coming out of the speaker. Just for laughs I opened up the back of the closed-back amp.
THE SPEAKER WIRE WAS DISCONNECTED FROM THE SPEAKER, INEXCUSEABLE H&K. OK, then I calmed down and played the amp for about 2 hours, I calmed down and learned to love it, great tone. THEN THE EFFECTS STOPPED FUNCTIONING. THEN I HEARD CRACKLING COMING OUT OF THE SPEAKER. After I shouted for a half hour. The amp went back in the box to America for my $ back. I smartly bought a Laney VC30 from good old England instead. Now I'm a happy man.