Page 1 of 2
I've come to the conclusion that its been entirely too long since I got a new guitar, and the epiphone just isnt really cutting it anymore. I play metal, harcore, post hardcore, screamo, etc. I'm pretty much set on getting an ESP, and I've narrowed it down to these 3. Price is not a big issue...these are all in my range, I just need you guy's help deciding which is the best instrument.

MH-400

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_mh.html

EC-1000 Deluxe (black w/ emg's)

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe.html

EX-400 (white)

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ex.html

I also really like the PC-1...but I'm thinking that it wont really suit the style of music I play...if anyone has anything good to say about it I might take another look.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_xtone.html

thanks. - matt
i'd go with the EC-1000 Deluxe......i've played those several times and they ****ing wail. they look like a Paul but they are much lighter and have EMGs. just to spice things up a little bit, if i were you, i'd check out some Schecters too before you make your final decision. i never thought about a schecter before i bought my last guitar and when i picked one up it was one of the nicest guitars i've ever played.
Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Gibson SG Standard (Ebony)
Charvel Strat Body

Marshall AVT 150 Full Stack

Boss Pedals
Zoom GFX5 Processor
personally i know nothing about those guitars....However i do know that the MH-400 looks GORG!, also acoustic looks GORG! i wouldnt go for the LP style guitar...however usually i dont judge on style :p just sound etc. but Mh-400 is GORG GORG!
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
I would say get the EX-400 (white) in my opinion. I was actually thinking about the same one(in the same colour) for my next guitar. But that won't be for a while. I also like the look of the MH-400, but in the colour they show on the page.
Ive got a PC-1v and it is a very nice guitar for the price. I dont know what kind of music you play, but for me it does it all pretty well from blues, to creamy jazz tones to playing rock.
Unfortuanitly the licesned trem and maple neck on the MH400 let me down a bit at the store after playing the EC1000 in Amber sunburst. The 1000s rock you wont be dissapointed in the sound they make. You gettin VB vintage black or the glossy black with abalone trim?
Quote by Jimmy.Postal
i'd go with the EC-1000 Deluxe......i've played those several times and they ****ing wail. they look like a Paul but they are much lighter and have EMGs. just to spice things up a little bit, if i were you, i'd check out some Schecters too before you make your final decision. i never thought about a schecter before i bought my last guitar and when i picked one up it was one of the nicest guitars i've ever played.

the other guitarist in my band plays a C1-Elite...it's pretty badass. but if I was going to get a shecter I would want a C-1 and I dont want to have the same guitar as him. but yeah I love schecters, I'd just rather have an ESP
Quote by CustomCustom
Unfortuanitly the licesned trem and maple neck on the MH400 let me down a bit at the store after playing the EC1000 in Amber sunburst. The 1000s rock you wont be dissapointed in the sound they make. You gettin VB vintage black or the glossy black with abalone trim?

the vintage black is pretty cool, but I like the abalone trim so I'd go for the glossy black
MH-400 or Ex-400 really metal guitars (if u want to play metal) no big differences between them just what shap u like. if u want floydrose buy the MH-400

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
bahaha damn noobs im saying you should go get the ec-1000 but first off is what amp are you currently using
I play through a crate BV120HB half stack

I'm kinda confused as to why so many people are recommending the EC-1000...the only thing that seems significantly better about those is that they look alot fancier....what am I missing?
Soundwise, The maple cap makes it better than the ec400, and the Licensed FLoyd and maple neck make the MH400 sound worse than the ec1000. I tried the 1000 with Duncans thru a BV60 and it was definately better than the EC400 with EMGs.
I had a very beautiful M-300 neck thru... but I wasn't completely happy with it. I personally won't buy another LTD/ESP. For metal, I'd buy an Ibanez or Jackson.

I have my Les Paul for the fluid stuff and a Peavey tracer w/ Duncans for the metal.
Quote by CustomCustom
Soundwise, The maple cap makes it better than the ec400, and the Licensed FLoyd and maple neck make the MH400 sound worse than the ec1000. I tried the 1000 with Duncans thru a BV60 and it was definately better than the EC400 with EMGs.

I'm not looking at the EC-400. EX-400 is an explorer style guitar...I guess you misread it and got the two mixed up? or did you mean to type ex-400?

But you're saying that EC-1000 sounds better than the MH-400, right? dont both guitars (EC-1000, MH-400) have maple caps (except maybe the EC-1000 in black) ?

but I definately want EMG's. I have duncans in my other guitar so im not looking at the sunburst EC-1000.
Last edited by alexisonfire478 at May 12, 2006,
I cannot stress how beautiful the EC-1000s are. If I didn't already have a Viper, I would have definitely bought the EC-1000.

I've always wanted to try the PC-1, but no dealer here carries them, so I've never had the privilege to.
Uh, do you want to buy a rhythm guitar or a lead guitar? Do you want a floyd or not?

If you want rhythm guitar, an EC-1000VB or a normal EC-1000 (Seymour Duncan or EMG, whatever you prefer) both rule. Another good one is the Viper-1000 (SD or EMG).

If you want a lead guitar, try out the H-1000 (SD or EMG) or maybe the MH-1000 (SD or EMG).

If you want a lead guitar with a killer Original Floyd Rose, the M-1000 will surely do it for you.

If you really dig the Explorer-esque shape, the EX-400 is great.
haha
I play rhythm and lead, but more often lead.

I want a floyd, but can live without one.

what is better about the H-1000, MH-1000, & M-1000 as opposed to the MH-400?
MH400 VS. H1000:

Both Set-Thru, Both 25.5, both mahagony bodied. The MH400 has a quilt-maple cap. The 1000 has ablone inlays and binding. The H1000 has Sperzel locking tuners VS. normal Grovers. Both have 24 frets, but the H1000 has a string thru locking TonePros tune o Matic and an Earvana compensated nut. The MH400 has a liscened floyd rose.

MH400 VS. MH1000

The MH1000 is pretty similar to the H1000, AFAIK it only has a Mirage headstock. And normal white binding, not abalone.

M1000 VS MH400

The Mirage series is different from the Horizon and MH series, in that it has a more traditional body, not a carved top, but the strat tummy + forearm cuts. It also features a Floyd Rose.

The M1000 has full neckthru VS. set-thru on the MH400, it has alder with a flame maple top instead of mahagony with quilt maple. Both have 3 piece maple necks. The H1000 has abalone diamond inlays instead of offset blocks. Finally, it has an ORIGINAL floyd rose, not a licensed one. One last note, the M1000 is 81/81 instead of 81/85.

IMO if you want a floyd the M1000 is a great way to go.
haha
so is there really any advantage to the reversed headstock? and how much of a difference does the neck-thru make as opposed to the set-thru? is there a big difference between a liscenced floyd and a original?

unfortunately the H-1000 is out of the question because I want EMGS and the black one looks EXACTLY like the other guitarist in my bands schecter C1 elite.

is there a noticable difference between the sound of alder and mahogany?
Eh, reverse headstock makes it faster to change the higher strings, but with a Floyd you're not going to be changing TOO quickly anyways.

Neck thru is (IMO) a bit better sustain.

Original Floyd Roses VS. Liscensed Floyd Roses (OFR VS. LFR) is the case where the OFR is probalby better at holding stability. I don't have much experience with the MH400's LFR, but I'm sure the OFR is better.

And alder is a much brighter tonewood than mahagony, more bite and attack, generally better for leads.
haha
Digging the MH-400
I watch my memories fade with time, but I'm too young to worry.... .a7x.
K so I went to some music stores over the weekend and theres a new guitar in the running now.

Ibanez RG350DX in white. if I got it I'd set up two separate inputs, one for the single coil in the middle and two for the EMG's that I would put in the humbucker slots. The only thing that is still better with the LTD is the set-thru neck as opposed to the bolt on Wizard two...does it make that much of a difference? what is everyones opinion on the ibanez. also..anyone know of anything other guitar with something close to these specs:

Floyd Rose (original or liscensec)
good neck, preferably set or thru
badass looks
pickups: preferably EMG's but I have a Kerry King set that I could use.
Id get the $499 Ibanez S470, awesome ZR trem (better than the OFR on the Hellrasier imo)and its $150 less than the MH400 and $300 less than the Hellraiser, it sports a mahogany body with a much thinner neck than the LTDs or Schecters. The saved money pays for EMGs which would sound good in a mahogany S body. One thing you can't add to the Schecter or LTD is a thinner wizard2 neck or ZR trem. The only advantage the LTD/Schecter has are EMGs which can be added easily to the S470.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-2005-S470-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519969
I would say EC-1000, but I have been wanting an EX-400 for a long time now. They are all good guitars, so you won't be dissapointed with any, but teh EC-1000 is probably one of the best that you are considering.
If your a lead guitarist, id go for the MH-400, 25.5 neck (the 24.75 on the EC will be crowded in teh upper frets and the lower horn is kinda in the way), 24 frets, and a tremolo.

The EC is going to be the most versatile tone, IMO best looks, and probably good for straightfoward lead rhthm playing

The EX is going to be a little akward due to teh shape, i prefer an explorer shape when sitting by far though. Its gonna have the most comfortable neck 25.5" with 22 frets= heaven, but its not gonna have the extra high octave teh 24 frets will have. Explorers tend to be neck heavy, i dunno why, and this one will weigh probably 10+ lbs.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I think any of the guitars you've mention are great choices (with the exception of the Ibanez, thats a no no). Just know that you'll have the same guitar as everyone else who plays your genre lol (not a criticism, just an observation), seeing as ESPs are getting really popular nowadays.
Quote by CustomCustom
Id get the $499 Ibanez S470, awesome ZR trem (better than the OFR on the Hellrasier imo)and its $150 less than the MH400 and $300 less than the Hellraiser, it sports a mahogany body with a much thinner neck than the LTDs or Schecters. The saved money pays for EMGs which would sound good in a mahogany S body. One thing you can't add to the Schecter or LTD is a thinner wizard2 neck or ZR trem. The only advantage the LTD/Schecter has are EMGs which can be added easily to the S470.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-2005-S470-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519969

if your looking at an Ibanez that isn't a Prestige Series, listen to Custom on this one. any RG lower than the 15--/5-- series are going to have questionable trem systems. my S has a Lo Pro Edge, but the ZR is supposed to pwn as well.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
I would choose between the EC-1000 and the EX-400. To me, they're the best out of those.

Quote by AsShadowsRemain
I would look at some of the new Jackson RR3's the new 2006 models are awesome for the price.

The RR3 is one huge leap backwards compared to the guitars he listed. The LTDs are good quality instruments geared towards intermediate to professional players. THe RR3 is a minor step up from a beginner guitar. If you had mentioned an RR-5, I'd agree that it would be worthwhile looking into. But the RR3? Not a chance.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
k so if I installed a Kerry King set and an original floyd rose in the RG350DX...then

< or > MH400?
Quote by alexisonfire478
k so if I installed a Kerry King set and an original floyd rose in the RG350DX...

Ibanez is made of basswood. Avoid EMGs in basswood. Duncans would be better.

And the MH-400 with a real Floyd would be a good choice.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

explain avoiding EMG's in basswood. too harsh? and that reminds me to ask everyones opinion on basswood vs. mahogany for metal/hard rock lead
Basswood, particularly the stuff used in the low to mid-range Ibanez, has a very loose, undefined low end. The EMG 81 likes dark woods with a very tight low end. EMGs make the low end sound like total mud in basswood. I've had EMGs in a couple of basswood guitars over the years (recent ones were an Ibanez RG and a lower end Dean ML) and it sounded bad. Midrange is nice, but low end is total shìt. I tried swapping for an EMG 85 in the bridge, and it was even worse. It just amplified that muddy low end.

For metal, mahogany and maple are the premium woods.

Page 1 of 2