im gonna start a band and i was wondering how we could practice. i have a 120 watt amp and the drummer will be loud enough, so thats covered, but how do we get our the singers voice and the keyboardist loud enough? do we need to buy mics? and if we do, what do we hook them up to? thanks!
Buy mics...mixer and then eithe some moniters or more amps (We got moniters.) Yeh, we're cool and practice on a PA system. Lol
Any more questions just ask.
yeah your gonna need mics...you could just plug them into a speaker i think idont really know though im still lookin at mics and stuff for my band
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
you need a p.a. system,mics,mic stands,music stands,monitors,mainspeakers,20 miles of cables,mabey a bass amp for the keyboard or run it through the p.a.,and a big blackboard for writeing down songs to work on and what parts.do you have a bass player?ya might need one of those too preferably one that comes epuiped with a bass and amp.
of yer hard up you can run vocals through a guitar or bass amp but still you need mics and stands I'd suggest SHURE SM58 pretty much indestructable and average priced,for a p.a. check out beringer,cheaply priced and of decent quality I run one myself its pretty cool lots of effects n stuff
we dont have a bass player cuz no one in my town plays. also, were kinda short on budget (darn child labor laws, im 14 by the way) so were sort of short on cash. how can you run a mic through an amp? doesnt a mic cable have a different plug in dealy on it? (like a bigger rounder one that has 3 holes)
Last edited by gdm09 at May 10, 2006,
Quote by gdm09
how can you run a mic through an amp? doesnt a mic cable have a different plug in dealy on it? (like a bigger rounder one that has 3 holes)

Yes, most do. But mics and mic cables are interchangeable. Some mic cables are made with a 1/4 in plug, just like guitar cables. Therefore, they fit into guitar amps, and mixers (should) have a place for them too. You will have to adjust your settings, however.

Quote by gdm09
whats a mixer and whats it used for?

Mixers are like amps for microphones. You can also plug guitars/basses/keyboards straight into them if you prefer. If you had extra mics and stands, you can mic your amps and drums and run those microphones into the mixer. Then you can control the sound of each individual instrument in one convientent location.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
oh and try to find a bassist or try to get a guitarist you know to get a bass!

itl make u sound ten times better
i know (y2james2005) but i dont think i could "convert" any of the guitarists and i think well worry about bassist after we get somewhat ok.
Quote by scrambler_66
Mixers are like amps for microphones. You can also plug guitars/basses/keyboards straight into them if you prefer. If you had extra mics and stands, you can mic your amps and drums and run those microphones into the mixer. Then you can control the sound of each individual instrument in one convientent location.

does that mean that mixers have speakers in them and make noise or do you have to hook them up to a speaker or monitor or something like that.
You hook all of your gear to the mixer..then the mixer to the moniter/speaker. My band playys with A Behringer mixer (40 dollars for a tiny one..2 mic inputs) 2 Kustom 15 inch Moniters (100 bucks a peice) A crown power amp (we got it used for 75 bucks..they are pretty expensive though) ShureSM58 mics...indestructable...besto n the market. And we also use Audiotechnia mics...we've slammed themi into the ground a few time and nohing bad happened to them. Uhm, I'm think that is everythong..OH, you might want to invest in a power conditioner (surge protector for your gear) But they aren't really essential. and questions just ask me.
heres some advice,if yer gonna run a mic through a guitar amp make shure its running clean and all the levels down and adjust it up from there otherwise the feedback will kill us ALL!!!!!
you should REALLY hook up a bass though,in a band it makes all the difference in the world.
oh and dont foregt MIC STANDS and as far as cables go its pretty easy to find xlr to 1/4
well, i have a behringer v-ampire amp and it has 2 mic plug-ins on the back of it. would our sound be crap if we plugged two mics and a guitar to the amp? also, could you plug a keyboard into that amp? and, do you plug your mics into a mixer then the mixer into a speaker? last, what are di boxes and what are they used for?
same thing as a mixer but powers the moniters and mains
I would say that running a guitar and two mics through one amp is a bad idea unless the amp has separate channels for mics so you can adjust the levels differently otherwise your mics are going to put out the same sound as the guitar(distorted or twangy)you need lots of bass doing the mic to guitar amp thing or it'll sound bad