^ how do you play it normal picking or finger picking? and if you normal pick it do u sweep?
u dont sweep dude...... i can pick it and fingerpick it......either one imo.......
i don't beleive it was meant to be fingerpicked. You shoudl be able to pick it pretty easily. IMO the fingering is a bit more awkward than the picking, but its really not a very difficult riff to play, however you decide to go about it.
|-||----------0-------|---------0--------||
|-||o-------0---0-----|-------0---0-----o||
|-||------5-------5---|-----5-------5----||
|-||----7-------------|---7-----------7--||
|-||o-0-------------7-|-6---------------o||
|-||------------------|------------------||

This part? I don't sweep it and it sounds fine to me.
I use a pick for the whole song, its not too difficult to do. If you're having problems just slow down a lot, like maybe half speed or something, and do that for a bit until you're completely comfortable. If you can't play it slowly, how on earth would u be able to play it quickly??

You don't "sweep" it really, I guess it can be a similar action but quite a bit slower than your normal sweep. Good luck
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
it's too slow to sweep. you should be able to use a pick and have it sound near prefect.

and it's called the Call of Ktulu.
I think Hetfield play the first riff fingerpicked to get a sweeter sound on S&M. Learn it to play both way, then decide yourself which one sound better.
Well its played finger picked i think. I play it either, depends what i have in my hand from the last song. You can sweep it, it would be really good for a nice slow build up to fast sweep picking. I used it for that when trying to learn to sweep pick
Ok what about the way that Kirk and James played it on Ride the Lightning? Did they fingerpick it? and what i mean by sweeping is not bringing out the pick everytime, I know I didnt mean normal sweeping(all fast like).
That second riff aint sweeping because youre holding the notes of the chord. Youre making a sweeping motion, but because youre letting the notes ring out, youre actually slowly playing a chord.
Quote by Rocker8822
Ok what about the way that Kirk and James played it on Ride the Lightning? Did they fingerpick it? and what i mean by sweeping is not bringing out the pick everytime, I know I didnt mean normal sweeping(all fast like).

In S&M (the dvd) James sweep picks. ^holding a chord and playing the notes individually is an arpeggio. when playing arpeggios you sweep pick. (in most cases)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i don't think its even possible to sweep taht slow...
and on S&M if u watch james he's not sweeping it...
and if you mean that part but when its distorted you need to mute it a little so it doesn't sound like **** (o god i said a curse word for those of u who watch south park)
Should is pretty subjective; there is no wrong or right way. It is done however you want to do it. The easiest way to do it is finger-picking. Or, you can pick and use your middle finger. (Chicken Pickin'?)
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by pepsi_lovr
i don't think its even possible to sweep taht slow...
and on S&M if u watch james he's not sweeping it...
and if you mean that part but when its distorted you need to mute it a little so it doesn't sound like **** (o god i said a curse word for those of u who watch south park)

It's basically sweep picking. it is pretty slow for sweeping but i dont think there is enough time to pull the pick out from the string for it not to be sweeping. its like a mix.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I think it sounds to cold for fingerpicking, and it's no difficutly at all to do it with a pick
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club