I have been playing acoustic for around a year now and really love it, I've played some my friends electrics a few times and decided it's time to get one as well. Ok, to help narrow things down here are the details of what I am looking for. I am serious about playing and know I dont want a "beginner" guitar that will need to be replaced. I'm looking to spend around $600, mabye a bit more, just on the guitar. Ideally I'd like something thats good quality and I can change pickups/customize as I get better and progress. I'll be playing mostly punk, alternative, and a bit of harder stuff (music like Brand New, Matchbook Romance, Taking Back Sunday, Avenged Sevenfold, Emery, Coheed and Cambria etc.). As far as guitar bodys go I really like the LesPaul style, but thats only a minor factor. I care more about quality and sound than appearance. I plan to play before I buy as well, so if you have a lot of suggestions feel free to list them all

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ESP EC-400 and 400AT are two I want to demo if anyone has any opinions on those and how well they would fit my criteria?
Last edited by HowDoYouDoIt at May 10, 2006,
Maybe and Epi Les Paul might be for you. (Also don't mention Avenged Sevenfold on here anyways because they are hated... also don't mention any emo bands *cough*Taking Back Sunday*cough*)
Castles Made of Sand

I'm Nick.
^there only hated here cuz arseholes like you now dont try an give him an epi, a schecter would be perfect for what he wants
now now be nice to everyone, everyone likes there own music (coheed + avenged tour next tuesday WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!) anyway i agree with them, go with the schecter, the omen series by shecter is perfect for heavy stuff
shecter c-1 diamond series definately its the only guitar ive never had any problems with and they come in a variety of colors and stuff to fit your style!
get the C-1 Classic

great heavy tone...but if you want you can get a really mellow sound (for a tool type sound)

and dont forget the bitchin' inlays
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by MercuryGuitar
Maybe and Epi Les Paul might be for you. (Also don't mention Avenged Sevenfold on here anyways because they are hated... also don't mention any emo bands *cough*Taking Back Sunday*cough*)

hell yea, fuk emo music!!
save up 50 more bucks and get the C-1 Hellraiser.Active EMG's....also Synyster Gates uses a Custom C-1. or look into S-1s also, as Zacky V plays those.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
your pretty much going to get a few oddball responses, and a ****load of Schecter responses, so I'd try out the most expencive Schecter you can afford, you'll be glad you did!!
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
why is avenged sevenfold hated?....i actually like them alot...mainly for the guitar not lyrics but you know...oh and if u wanna save i got my fender strat for 400-500 but onlycause i couldnt buy the 1000 and up american series but i play punk also and it works great with a marshal amp and maybe a dist pedal.
Last edited by Rob12Willis at May 10, 2006,
^ They just are. There is no explination, everyone here, and every other forum I go on hates them.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
hmm..well i aint gonna try and change know one...or mention them...thanks for the heads up
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was impressed by how fast you got back to me, I've got a few more guitars to demo now

And if anyone can tell me anything about the EC-400 or 400AT that would be awesome too.
Since you like the Les Paul, I'd say go with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Last time I checked they were around $600. Great for punk and alternative, but not so great for heavier music. With a good pickup change, it could be the perfect guitar for you. And for everyone saying shecters, they are great guitars but I don't think they would fit him as they are best for heavier stuff and he plays mainly punk/alternative.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email