Okay, this is going to be a stupid question. And it's a theoretical one.

When the Beatles (and most other great 60s british rockers) were growing up, the music they listened to, were inspired by, and later twisted around to make their own was, in essence, the mainstream music of black America- R&B, blues, early rock and roll. They then added some British touches and created a whole new style.

So, if the four of them had been born recently (not counting the fact that the history of music would have been different had they not existed...), do you think they'd be listening to Hip-hop/rap and doing the same thing?
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
If you say no, explain why. Not all rap/hip-hop is crap. There's some good stuff, especially underground.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
The Beatles as rappers would be so whack.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

The Beatles were pioneering mainstream music for youngsters. Today, mainstream music with the gereral teenage public has already been well established.

Part of the Beatlemania, as you said, was that it was fresh and exciting. Now that practically all the bases have been covered, what else could they have done for today?

They'd probably try to do what you said, but I highly doubt they would have any sort of large commercial success.
If the Beatles were around now instead of then, there would be no hip hop for them to listen to.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
they would have never formed because they would all do their own thing.
or they would be the british beastie boys.
or they would listen to emo music and become emo people.
etc.
etc.
and maybe they would have names like P-Mac
lol
That'd be cool.

"Yo, I gotta tell yall bout dis girl name Lucy, right? She be up in dat sky wit diamonds, yeaaaahhhhhhhh boiiiiii"
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by AWA
lol
That'd be cool.

"Yo, I gotta tell yall bout dis girl name Lucy, right? She be up in dat sky wit diamonds, yeaaaahhhhhhhh boiiiiii"

Reminds me of a Talib Kweli song where he quotes that song.

And the Beatles would probly be rap influenced; it's hard to not be influenced at all by rap now. I don't know that they would be all rap though, and either way it's just too much for me to fathom.

I think Lennon's "Tomorrow Never Knows" would probly transfer well to hip-hop though, at least the instrumentation. The vocals would sound too heavy-handed in hip-hop style, but just make the beat a little bassier and add in a few snare kicks and it might sound cool.
Rap and Hip-Hop are all about sampling. Frankly, I think a great deal of songs would transfer well.
Well, I don't know if it'd be rap (at least not mainstream). Like, the Beatles were influenced by artists that were not mainstream in the States, so I doubt they'd be influenced my mainstream if they were around now. It would probably be underground like you mentioned
Hey, but that does give me a thought. Maybe we are due for another musical revolution. There hasn't really been anything all that new and exciting in mainstream music for a long time. Mainstream pop is ****tier than ever, and mainstream hip-hop is overly materialistic and degrading to women. Mainstream rock has everything but the things that make rock cool, like feeling, rebellion, and experimentation.

Maybe we are about due for somebody like the Beatles to come along and set everything straight.
Maybe someone needs to get to work on a different version of the Grey album and take Beatles music samples, mess them up a bit and then rap the tunes over the top (somehow in their vocal styles).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Revolutions are coming and going all the time if you pay attention. People only consider the revolutions they like to be relevant.
Quote by VoodooChild15
If the Beatles were around now instead of then, there would be no hip hop for them to listen to.

This is exactly what was I thinking, The Beatles made mainstream music a trend, the overall voice of teenagers. Chances are without The Beatles' place in music history, Rap/Hip-Hop woud not exist, or if it did, not like it does.
I say they would be into Reggaeton........
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
Bob Dylan listened to rap. He even said it himself. The Beatles were huge Dylan fans so it is very possible.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
the beatle wouldnt listen to rap, or play rap, or have anything to do with rap. theyd take music from blues artists like ben harper and michael jackson (when he was black).
Nope
Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream

Member of the Beatlemania Is Not Phony Club...pm Sgt Pepper27 to join
A lot of what determines success has to do with being in the right place at the right time. I think this also applies to time periods as well. I think the reason they got so into the music they did was because it touched them and none of us can really say whether or not today's music would have that same impact on them. I mean to me, it seems like you could ask the same question with a different spin on it. If Tupac had been born in the 60's would he have been gone to do what the Beatles did? Probably not, but who knows.