OK, so hypotheitcally, assuming i DO get that Jay Turser...and strip it down and paint it my own insane design...what kind of paint do i use?...like..wood paint?...and what should i use for like a high gloss finish on the body?...any other suggestions to do something with the body are great (its a strat)
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

You can use:
-Polyester paint (crap...)
-Nitrocellulose (great!)
-Car paint [spray can or other] (good)

I forget the paint Fender uses...you can use that too.
Fender uses the "polyester crap" which is polyurethane.

And if you don't have access to a paint gun then polyurethane is ruled out. Nitrocellulose does come in cans, but typically you need to buy tehm preloaded off the internet. But there are places that sell nitro and can load them in cans. And car paints are ok, they are good if you just want to do one guitar, and never paint one again. They are easily accesable, and fairly cheap.

And I don't think you should rule out polyurethane that quickly super, have you ever used it yourself? And have you wondered why virtually every major guitar brand uses poly to finish their guitars?
I must have been confusing it for another type of paint. I prefer the look of nitrocellulose though. Maybe just a teencie biased there.
spray paint is fine, if you're on a budget.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
ok, my dad has agreed to help me with the project, and he said i can use the car paint...so would that be good?...then with a clearcoat finish?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Um what kind of car paint. The car paint super was talkign about was acrylic lacquer that was loaded into cans. While most car factories use polyurethane for it's durability.
If you want to use the spray cans, then you cna either use nitro or a spray can.
If you use poly, then you need to be sure you used a poly based color, and clear coat.

Edit: I think were confusing you a little bit.
haha ah im sorta following along...im not quite sure what paint it is...but i THINK it might be polyurethane...but im not postive,...and what im going to do is paint the whole thing white, then put black stripes on it...like a zebra...its going to be so secksy with that paint job and those DiMarzio pups
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Well, if it is polyurethane you will be shooting it through a gun. And your clear coat will be polyurethane. Just so incase you didn't get it. Anything if you start paitning with lacqer based products (spraycans,nitro) then you have to use lacquer based products all the way to the end. If you use polyurethane based products, polyurethane must be used to the end.

Btw, get some pics up here when your done.
^yeah i will be using a spray gun, this weekend im going ot sart practicing on some old wood first before i start the real job....but thanks for the help and support guys!...and ill try to get some pics in here...but im not all that sure how and i dnt have a digi cam...but when im at my cousins house i will take some pictures of that beast to show you guys
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but how does primer fit into the whole thing here? Sorry, i have a project guitar in the works and i have no idea how to paint.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Ok, I'll go through the whole process and explain the reasoning behind doing it for you.

First, grain filler, this fills the grain so you have a flat surface to work on.

Second, primer, this fills in any minor spots the grain filler may have missed and creates a good surface for the color coat to adhere to.

Third, color, this is just the layer that colors.

Fourth, clear coat, this is like the protective coat, it protects the color coat from geting damaged, and it also allows for a smooth surface.
^^^Thanks. Do you need a certain kind of primer for lacquer and a certain primer for poly, or will any primer do?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Nope, as long as the primer is made of the same base you want to paint with. If you paint with spray cans (lacquer) it's recommended by most people around here to use duplicolor and krylon paints. Those brands have everythign you need cept the grain filler, but grainfiller can be substituted with just regular clear lacquer, sanded flat when it's done curing. And most specialty paint places can mix you up with a primer made of lacqer or polyurethane.
So yeah, any as long as it's the same base I don't see a serisous problem with it.
can i use graffiti cans? they are available in many colors. I can't find if their are made of polyuterane or laquer.
Last edited by superbadboy2 at May 11, 2006,
Thanks, kaplac.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86