I have a really cool octave pedal, and have only used it to pull White stripes moves with guitars, But I was wondering If I could possibly damage my amp hooking it through a a Bass...?
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
this is an interesting question. It shouldn't be able to damage it unless you're using like a 1x10 or a practice amp or something - I would think it would just sound muddier.

Infact, I wouldn't be suprised if the effect just ****ed over when you started to use it on the e string. There are octave downs used for bass, but they usually don't work on the E to A range for whatever reason.

So I'd say try it, even if you must turn the volume down at first. It's worth a shot.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
its just muddy as hell, the lower octave dosnt sound like anything once you go past around Low A or so.
I think (dont quote me on this) that in stairway to heaven, JPJ used an octave pedal to put in some well hidden harmonic notes (LIsten to it with the sub cranked) If an octave pedal doesnt work, give me a tip. I have the Jazz bass required...

Be glad Im not trying this with my 5 string.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Unless you got some AccuGroove cabs like the 10-string bass players have, I doubt a regular cabinet would even be able to produce the sound.
er.... he... didn't. JPJ never used any effects I'm fairly certain. Hell, the only time I can think of a bass using something other than a clean sound before Cliff using wah & distortion was Bootsy using his whole funky setup of flanger and envelope and the like.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
calculate the frequency of the note. then look at the frequency handling on ur amp.
Thanks, but listen to that part anyway.. it kind of inspired me.

I've played thru my friends Boss Octave pedal I can't tell any difference in sound. I messed with all the knobs and..nothing. It sounds the same. Am i retarded or what?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
I've played thru my friends Boss Octave pedal I can't tell any difference in sound. I messed with all the knobs and..nothing. It sounds the same. Am i retarded or what?

probably. unless it wasn't working.
well i just heard to ampeg sub-octaver online and i heard that fine. maybe the amp was turned down too low?
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
^ 1, the online examples of things will always sound better than they are in reality.
2, idk. It depends a lot on the amp too.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I've noticed the exceptional quality of online soundbytes on musiciansfriend.com
anyway my amp i was playing through at the time is pretty awful so that might be the cause.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10