Page 1 of 2
I wanted a strat style body added to my collection, but I can't decide between an Agile style strat or a MIM fender strat. I'm going to Interstate Music to try out the MIM strat, but just like my other agile, I can't try before I buy. Does anyone own a MIM strat or these Agile strats?

Agile: click

What do you guys think? I was leaning towards the MIM, but I think it costs more than the Agile, but I also don't know if its just a better guitar.
Pissed.
Agile

most likely from the specs i would say the agile
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
well just looking at the features on the agile, it looks like the better deal. having never played the agile either i can't compare it to the mim strat.
btw...

MIM strats are ****....
i sold mine after like 3 mounths ****ty pickup HORRABLE trem

get the agile has lockin tuners a wilkenson trem

nice over all features
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
the specs on the agiles pick ups are better then the mim strat ones

if you get the strat it wont be a half way decent guitar unless you Get lockin tuners and a new pick up set.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
MIM.

Agile is deciving, and you've all fallen for it. The bridge is fake; 'Wilkenson' is spelled incorrectly. Agile has pulled a marketing coy on you guys, and you fell for it. They've tricked you into believe it has some sweet bridge, but it's just crap. If Agile/Rondo had the real Wilkinson parts on it, it may be worth it, but the tuners and bridge alone (real deal) are about the cost of the guitar.

MIM Fender>Fake Agile
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^Yeah I bet that some people said Agile just because theres a huge Agile bandwagon on this site. They might nobt even be bad guitars, hell they might be the best ever, all I know is that I've never played one.
my music myspace!

Quote by cefasnacht
Quote by Dobzilla
I've never had peanutbutter...
wtf!?!?!?!
I don't recall playing one, but i'm going to Rondo this week...

And that's exactly why people recommend Agile, join the bandwagon!!

the_white_bunny, it's 'Wilkinson'
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at May 10, 2006,
If you're concerned about the tremolo, why don't you e-mail Rondo music and ask if it's actually Wilkinson, or if it's a copy. It's possible that it's just a typo on the site.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
your right i just caught that

nice catch

i still say agile though

i dont own one nor will i but ive played afew and there not bad better then the mim i had
im a schecter guy my self
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I already emailed Kurt about interchangeability with Fender and licensed Fender parts: for the neck, you'll need shims (bad for sustain), the pickguard holes may not line up, and the bridge are non-standard or American size ... anyway, verify first since I was also emailing about the SX at the that time, another Strat copy.
Quote by Xenn99
If you're concerned about the tremolo, why don't you e-mail Rondo music and ask if it's actually Wilkinson, or if it's a copy. It's possible that it's just a typo on the site.

Typo'd twice?
Typing "Wilkenson" accidentally isn't too far off for you to grasp is it, AlGee?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I just find it funny it's typo'd twice, and how there are no copyright's at the bottom of the page for 'Wilkinson'. I don't really see a typo being possible...

The real Wilkinson tuners are CHEAP. So is the bridge come to think of it. Just because it says Wilkinson (shall i put Wilkenson) doesnt mean it's good. Again, marketing ploy.
Last edited by AlGeeEater at May 11, 2006,
Quote by AlGeeEater
MIM.

Agile is deciving, and you've all fallen for it. The bridge is fake; 'Wilkenson' is spelled incorrectly. Agile has pulled a marketing coy on you guys, and you fell for it. They've tricked you into believe it has some sweet bridge, but it's just crap. If Agile/Rondo had the real Wilkinson parts on it, it may be worth it, but the tuners and bridge alone (real deal) are about the cost of the guitar.

MIM Fender>Fake Agile

Its not like a MIM Fender doesnt try to trick the consumer. They use ceramic pickups, the lowest rate necks in the company, and generally sound like crap, but have the supposedly trusted Fender name on the headstock. Never buy a MIM Fender, and if you must, get it off of somewhere likes craigslist where you will be paying $200 at the most. I would suggest saving up and getting a guitar you might have for longer than it takes for you to get pissed off at it.
Quote by ToBeAGooner
Its not like a MIM Fender doesnt try to trick the consumer. They use ceramic pickups, the lowest rate necks in the company, and generally sound like crap, but have the supposedly trusted Fender name on the headstock. Never buy a MIM Fender, and if you must, get it off of somewhere likes craigslist where you will be paying $200 at the most. I would suggest saving up and getting a guitar you might have for longer than it takes for you to get pissed off at it.

So? They don't say they have awesome pickups, or the best necks do they? They don't say they have Wilkinson bridges when they don't. They're not tricking any consumers. I don't see how you can even imply that EVERY single MIM is bad, and worth $200 bucks. I'd like proof (you've already lost).
Quote by AlGeeEater
So? They don't say they have awesome pickups, or the best necks do they? They don't say they have Wilkinson bridges when they don't. They're not tricking any consumers. I don't see how you can even imply that EVERY single MIM is bad, and worth $200 bucks. I'd like proof (you've already lost).

CERAMIC PICKUPS! Thats all the proof you need of the subpar quality and sound of the guitar. Honestly, buy the MIM at your own risk. There is a reason why the Americans are $500 more. Try an American, and try a MIM and try to tell me that the MIM is a respectable instrument.
Quote by ToBeAGooner
CERAMIC PICKUPS! Thats all the proof you need of the subpar quality and sound of the guitar. Honestly, buy the MIM at your own risk. There is a reason why the Americans are $500 more. Try an American, and try a MIM and try to tell me that the MIM is a respectable instrument.

Your point being? With a pickup change, new tuners and a set up you'd be good to go. Stock pickups should be changed regardless. That's not proof of anything, besides it having ceramic pickups. You cant base quality off of pickups.

Not everyone has that extra 500 to spend on an American keep in mind. MIM are nice IMO.

^I agree on that. I've tried a few MIM Strats and one was amazing. If I would have had spare cash at the time I would have bought it in a heartbeat. The others I tried were utter crap though. I'd say MIM's are fine to get, as long as you can find a really nice one.

As for the Wilkinson thing, I don't doubt it. They could be marketing it with a knockoff with a similar name. It could be a typo as well (not really a "typo" typo, more of a mispelling.)

EDIT: When I tried the nice MIM Strat, I tried an American one right after it. Through the same amp, played the same thing.

And you know what? I honestly couldn't tell the difference.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at May 11, 2006,
i thought that ceramic pickups werent necissarily worse but just different than alnico pickups?
Quote by AlGeeEater
Your point being? With a pickup change, new tuners and a set up you'd be good to go. Stock pickups should be changed regardless. That's not proof of anything, besides it having ceramic pickups. You cant base quality off of pickups.

Not everyone has that extra 500 to spend on an American keep in mind. MIM are nice IMO.

And buy the time you put that much money and effort into it to get better pickups and tuners, you might as well buy a better guitar. The stock pickups can be good, I have an ESP with Seymour Duncan jazz in the neck and the bridge and I wouldnt imagine ever changing it, but then again this guitar was more than some MIM piece of crap.
Quote by ToBeAGooner
And buy the time you put that much money and effort into it to get better pickups and tuners, you might as well buy a better guitar. The stock pickups can be good, I have an ESP with Seymour Duncan jazz in the neck and the bridge and I wouldnt imagine ever changing it, but then again this guitar was more than some MIM piece of crap.

Pickups=$140
Tuners=$40

$180 bucks more isnt worth a new instrument. The quality won't change, plus you'll have a way better instrument than an American for more than 3/4 the price. Those are aftermarket pickups in a stock guitar, they're not factory stock pickups (made in factory or by some asian company sold with no name)
Quote by colin1234
i thought that ceramic pickups werent necissarily worse but just different than alnico pickups?

A lot of people tend to say something is worse or sucks if it doesn't suit their purposes, i.e., "gain *****s"

For instance, I wouldn't have all the EMGs one could shove up his ass, but that doesn't make them suck, just not suitable for the kine of music I prefer.

It also seems that the "younger set" is anti-anything that is traditional, as in Fender, Gibson, etc, preferring to go with such manufacturers as B.C Rich, et. al.

I own three MIM rigs, and there ain't a damn thing wrong with any of them, but then again, I'm not going to play lightning fast repetitive scales at ear-splitting volume with maximum gain and distortion and call it "music" either.
Quote by mrbreeze
A lot of people tend to say something is worse or sucks if it doesn't suit their purposes, i.e., "gain *****s"

For instance, I wouldn't have all the EMGs one could shove up his ass, but that doesn't make them suck, just not suitable for the kine of music I prefer.

It also seems that the "younger set" is anti-anything that is traditional, as in Fender, Gibson, etc, preferring to go with such manufacturers as B.C Rich, et. al.

I own three MIM rigs, and there ain't a damn thing wrong with any of them, but then again, I'm not going to play lightning fast repetitive scales at ear-splitting volume with maximum gain and distortion and call it "music" either.

So you are complaining that people are dumb because they say something "sucks" if it doesn't suit their purposes, but you say shred isn't "music" because you don't play/like it?

Sounds hypocritical to me.

To the threadstarter, make sure that you're playing a new MIM; they've been upgraded this year .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Mexican Strat, just make sure you pick a good one.

I'd rather try the guitar out before buying, so with the Agile you will just be buying blindly.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Agile. I wouldn't even have a second though about it.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Quote by Doubleday
I wouldn't even have a second though about it.

Care to explain that comment? Do you own the Agile posted? Have you ever played an Agile? Are you just jumping on the bandwagon?
^Looks like another bandwagone jumpee.

I do wanna' play an Agile and see what all the fuss is about, only then would I recommend something I don't have a clue about.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Having actually purchased an Agile ST-802, and played many many MIM, Hwy 1's, and MIA Fenders before I purchased it to get some perspective on what to expect and such, I can tell you that Fender MIM's and Hwy 1's (most of them) doesn't hold a candle to it. But the MIA's were obviously better... that wasn't really a shocker though.

Sure the pickups sucked but after spending a little less then $100 (CND) on tex-mex pups, the total came to $490 (CND), $390(CND) for the guitar plus the pups. If I were to purchase a MIM Strat where I live, the cheapst one I've ever seen was $525(CND) plus tax, which would have brought the total to more then $600(CND). Then I would've still had to buy new pups, so add another $100 to that, and I paid $700(CND) for a MIM Fender, and the tuners and trem aren't good at all either.... funk all that shjt. And the guitar wasn't that great anyways, insane fret buzz and very sharp fret ends.

The tuners are real grover 18:1 tuners (on my model), they look exactly like the ones on my Epiphone vintage G400. They might say the bridge is a Wilkenson, but the bridge on my guitar says Wilkinson, and it looks exaclty like the ones being sold at my local shop(s) for about $80(CND), and has the same exact same measurements.

Algee just face it, Agile's a great company. I'm not surprised you never liked the ones you've tried at their store. I almost never like any guitars I try at my local shops, soo many dirty hands have been all over them, they're never set up properly unless it's a guitar worth $700-$1000 and up. The only guitars at my local shop that I liked were Godins, they make some damn good guitars. Every guitar you try at a shop is going to have to be set-up to your likings, and because the ones you tried weren't properly set-up to your specs, probably made them seem like crap. My Agile had fret buzz, but that was because the action was insanely low, I raised it to a nice med/low height, and I have no problems with it now. I think if the guitar isn't properly set-up the way you like it, that will in return affect your judgement.

I'd buy it, Agile makes great guitars.
Hai UG!
Not to put down any of the more 'novice' Agile buyers, but I wouldn't listen to 90% of the reviews on Agiles, to tell you honestly. The fact is that a beginner probably wouldn't know what makes a quality guitar if it was rammed up their ass sideways. Most are bandwagon jumpers. Then again, that's the same for any other guitar brand. How many people will swear up and down that ESP or Gibson or Jackson make the best guitars and recommend them hands down. Many have never even seen one of these guitars in real life. They recommend them because their favorite artists play them or someone they know recommended them. There's nothing new there. Try as you may to make this an Agile-specific case, it isn't.

My introduction to Agile was not a bandwagon thing. I discovered them when they were still pretty much unknown about 4 years ago or so. I saw them on ebay, and was intrigued by the specs. Not really having cash to buy a new guitar (even a cheap one), I couldn't really indulge, but they stayed on my radar since.

Shortly thereafter, I had a friend who is a 20-year veteran guitar tech and pro session musician. He played his Gibsons in the studio, and Epiphones when playing with his band on stage (cuz he's hard on his guitars live, and his 2 Gibsons are mint-condition, 70s vintage). He'd just split the neck on his main Epi, and was looking to buy another. I showed him these Agiles, and like me, he was intrigued. So he figured that for the price, at worse it would serve him as a decent beater backup guitar if it was total crap. He ordered the 2500 to try it out.

Upon receiving it, he was very surprised. The fret job wasn't the best (on par with other machine-filed frets on other guitars), but he easily fixed that. He cut a new nut for it, and that was that. It quickly became his main guitar live. He liked it so much that he retired his often-repaired Epi he was using as backup, and bought 2 more Agile 2500s, and an AS-2500 (the old SG copy). He installed EMGs in one of them (his first Agile), and retired this guitar from stage use. He likes it better than the other 2, and now uses it at home and in the studio when he needs a heavier sound. This was my first real contact with Agile. ANd I wasn't disappointed considering the price.

And Algee - why are you so intent on discrediting Agiles you know nothing about?

I'll give you some credence for your opinion of the AL series, since you've tried them. Although well-played and badly setup models on the rack with all kinds of shop wear is a really bad reference point. You had discredited my Agile / LP Studio comparison thread a while back based solely on the fact that neither guitar was 'new out of the box' when I compared them. Same can be said of your playing off-the-rack guitars with tons of shop wear. Your description of them (swirls in the finish, buzzing, bad action, dead spots) are pretty common complaints about most guitars that have been used and abused on the shop floor, regardless of brand. I can say the same about a 'new' Gibson SG that's been sitting at our local Gibbo dealer for about a year now. It's been played to death, the finish is pretty worn and scratched, and the thing buzzes like crazy. And as a luthier, you should know better than that. You sound so biased that you're looking for anything that you can use against the guitar, regardless of it being an actual design / construction flaw vs an easily fixed issue that developed from being played by scores of noobs.

But in this case, you rightfully admitted you'd never seen these Agile strats, yet feel it necessary to say that they're equipped with bad tuners and a no-name bridge (because of a typo on the site). You're essentially saying Rondo are lying about the bridges and everything is a smoke-screen marketing ploy to suck people in. You have no more evidence of this being even remotely true than the Agile bandwagon jumpers on the Internet who are claiming that Agile (that they'venever even seen in person) are better guitars than another brand. You use a typo on the site as an excuse to discredit the guitars. Ever hear of cut-and-paste? That's why they have the same «Wilkenson» error on more than one page. I remember last year pointing out an error to Kurt where the tuners were listed as Grovvers on about 6 or 7 pages. That typo didn't make the tuners NOT Grovers.

You seem to go so far out of your way to try to discredit them, and often without any real merit to your arguments. FYI, these guitars have genuine Wilkinson bridges (Kurt confirmed that for me a while back) and the same Grover tuners that are on about 75% of import guitars and many American-made ones too. Both the bridge and tuners are far better than the tuners and bridge on the MIM strat that you so highly recommend as being better. You should get your facts straight before going out of your way to pontificate about something you obviously don't know about.

Seriously, to me, it sounds like you're on the anti-Agile bandwagon. People who live in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by AlGeeEater
I don't recall playing one, but i'm going to Rondo this week...

And that's exactly why people recommend Agile, join the bandwagon!!

the_white_bunny, it's 'Wilkinson'

god phorbid hes off by 1 LETTER!
I should add that I used to own a MIM strat that was a great guitar. Granted, I had to swap the pickups and had a locking trem installed on it (negating the need for new tuners).bit it felt and sounded great. And I've played some damn good MIM strats over the years too. However, the crappy and average ones far outnumber those above average gems.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i have not personally tried the 'strat' copy Agile but do own an AL-2800 (slight upgrade - seymour duncan p'ups) and love the guitar to death...it truly is a class instrument and would trust Agile to do it again with this strat...so my advice is to go for the Agile...they make true class instruments.
I own this:

And yes, it is awesome.

EDIT: All you guys who are anti-Agile are anti-Agile becuase you payed $800 for a Epiphone only to be showed up by a $300 knockoff. Face it: Agile makes good guitars.

And you, lonely buyer: don't listen to the venomous anti-Agile people. They're just jealous. Buy Agile. You won't regret it.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Last edited by Doubleday at May 11, 2006,
Page 1 of 2