alright i just got a new MIM strat and right now the bridge is floating. I like it but it goes out of tune pretty easily. like if i use the trem at all i have to touch up the tuning at the end of the song. would locking tuners make a big difference? should i let the guitar "break in" a little to see if it starts to settle and the tuning becomes more stable? i was thinking maybe the springs and strings need to stretch out a little initially. id rather not have locking tuners if at all possible but if it solves my tuning problems then ill get them.

also does anyone have any experiance with this or any other hardtail conversion kit?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Replacement/Parts?sku=361537

i barely ever use the trem anyway so i think i might as well go for something like that. I only bought this guitar because my other one got stolen and it was only $250 brand new at a clearance sale.
locking tuners are your best bet, along with more strings if you have problems with it riding up.
Hi, I'm Peter
is the bridge not supposed to be floating 1/8" off the surface of the guitar? ive heard that its supposed to be flush and ive heard that its supposed to be floating. the guitar tech at the place i bought it from said it was set up to be 1/8" off the top.
locking tuners help a great deal....

but you you wanna make it a hard tail F the converstion kit use. a pice of wood and block it off your self
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by evansut7
is the bridge not supposed to be floating 1/8" off the surface of the guitar? ive heard that its supposed to be flush and ive heard that its supposed to be floating. the guitar tech at the place i bought it from said it was set up to be 1/8" off the top.

It's quite common for Strats to have their trem a little off the body, so you can do bend ups as well as down. Just personal preference. I never use the trem so I keep it flush against the body.
Hi, I'm Peter
I hate trems. More trouble than they're worth. I say go with the conversion kit. But don't put it on yourself. Take it to a guitar shop that isn't Guitar Center. They'll most likely be able to put it on for you pretty cheap, and might even be able to order you something better for less or equal price. MF kinda rips you off on stuff like that. It's better to order direct.
Quote by evansut7

fender sepcs says it should be

but it stays in tune alot better when it presured against the body- theres less string wobble

^ and dude- if he put that on he would KILL his reasal value- that would be ****ign dumb
yeah i dont really care about resale value. plus I got it for only $250 brand new. i could prolly sell it on ebay for more than that haha. i dont think i would ever sell a guitar, id prolly wish i had it back if i did. i didnt think id miss my squire bullet special as much as i did after it got stolen. id rather have that guitar back than pretty much any guitar around.

i put on some new 10-52 strings on it and added a spring to the trem. it seems to stay in tune a lot better now with these GHS strings as opposed to the fender bullets or whatever they put in at the factory. maybe ill just invest in some locking tuners and a good nut now.