Ok, now, i of course hear all the praise les gets placed on him.

I am sitting here, listening to some primus, and i am wondering whether its just the songs i've got, but he doesnt seem that great (now i am probly listening to the wrong stuff).

Songs i have :

Devil went down to Georgia
Jerry was a race car driver
My name is mud
Southbound psychaderm
Tommy the cat
Wynona's big brown beaver.

Now, there is nothing revolutionary in there for me. And i may be being harsh, but when you go and listen to guys like wooten and jaco there is a massive leap in what they do.

So i am looking for opinions, cool songs to play, etc.

And i am also wondering if anyone has any lessons, advice for double thumbing?? The kind wooten uses after the hammer on bit in classical thump. Just struggling getting it to any decent pace and getting it sounding clean. I need to know it because i am absolutely loving this song.

Cheers guys
you need to get the primus dvd "animals should not try to act like ppl" and maybe do some research cause its not just about his bass man. Hes does it all writes, performs, produces, has a bk and a movie comin out, and has his own label, im not being rude but check into him man deeply........
This is a bass forum, why would i be concerned about all his other stuff. I am purely interested in what he plays, and the skills he uses when he does it. Am i missing something about his playing?
/\ /\ Les has a movie coming out?! NICE

You have to take in account of this

Les sings
and plays
and has like 4 other bands after Primus

-The Les Claypool Frog Brigade
-Oysterhead
-Sausage
-Holy Mackerel

people like to play his licks cause they are fun and yet still challenging.

Groundhogs Day
Tommy the Cat
Sgt. Baker
John The Fisherman
Harold of the rocks
Frizzle Fry

all good ones
especailly Tommy the Cat

watch videos of him
great stage presence

and to top it off

he sounds like a hick
AND HIS NAME IS LES CLAYPOOL

like c'mon
sweet name or what!?

imagine his parents

Doctor- Well Mr. and Mrs. Claypool... its a boy... What do you want to name him?
Mr. and Mrs Claypool- "Les"
Doctor- "...ok?"
MM Stingray-MM Sterling-Austin Intruder-De-fretted Slammer-GK 115SBX-GK 1001RB-II-Fender Rumble 100-RB 5 Piece Prumkit-Burswood Acoustic-Squire Strat

Quote by Forcemaster
Dude, your hair owns.
Have a pie.

www.myspace.com/thedeathbynumbers
The thing about Les is that he's very different than most of the bassists out there. He also happens to be very talented at the bass. I don't necessarily think he's any Billy Sheehan but when you get to that point it's useless. He is just and all aroung creative and great bass player.
Fender MIM Strat w/SD Hot Rails in Bridge/Marshall AVT275x/Digitech RP200/Dunlop Classic Crybaby/Fender MIM Jazz Bass/Fender Rumble 25/Pearl Forum 5 Piece Drum Set w/Zildjian ZBT cymbal set/Shure SM58/Line 6 Toneport UX-1.
not nessicarily (sp?)

Devil went down to Georgia- based more around the fiddle (lol)
Jerry was a race car driver- sweet tapping riff
My name is mud- very creative
Southbound psychaderm- sounds nice
Tommy the cat- very interesting/sweet/complex song (for me at least lol)
Wynona's big brown beaver- just sounds cool

try the albums
Pork soda
Frizzle fry
and Anti pop

those are my favorites

and Primus is an aquired taste
most people dont like Les's singing
but hey... same with screamo and opera eh?
MM Stingray-MM Sterling-Austin Intruder-De-fretted Slammer-GK 115SBX-GK 1001RB-II-Fender Rumble 100-RB 5 Piece Prumkit-Burswood Acoustic-Squire Strat

Quote by Forcemaster
Dude, your hair owns.
Have a pie.

Yeah exactly, i dont love les' singing myself.

The only reason i posed this question is because i dont see what everyone else sees, but now i understand its more 'the man' the skills that he displays, not that his not great in his own right. I guess with my tastes i just prefer things like wooten and jaco which i feel are a bit more "tasteful". I am looking for things that better me as a bass player, and feel that what i am going for is in the direction of others bassists, thanks for the responses!
Its all a matter of preferance

Maybe you dont like Metal-Funk

but instead like

jazz
punk-funk
neo-classical funk (lol i made that up)

I know myself I like Punk-Funk, Metal-funk and rock-funk better than "real" funk.. i get more enjoyment outta the sub-genres

Quote by Forcemaster
Dude, your hair owns.
Have a pie.

well, for one, les plays on a fretless. he's got to be dead on with his fingering, or it sounds awful. it also leaves him free to get down to microtones (tones in between, say...a and b flat or b and c). quarter steps and such. wooten, though he is pretty ****ing good, doesn't have to constantly worry about his intonation since he plays fretted.
Well at the end of the day it is about personal preference about which great bass players you prefer. You can respect something without having to like it. I respect Billy Sheenan for his great skill in terms of speed and use of techniques like pinch harmonics, but he's a bit too wanky and over the top for my liking.

Les Claypool I find more exhilarating than Victor Wooten and Jaco Pastorius. Les Claypool can unseemingly form complex grooves into really catchy hooks. I think this is a tricky balance to pull off, but he can do it really well. Also, he just sounds sooo odd. When I first heard Primus, I thought "What the **** is this!?". It was odd, but I found it pretty cool, not just for the bass, but the whole deal.

All the above mentionned bassists have quite different approaches to bass. As long as you listen to them, and take as much as you can from them, that's what really matters.

Les Claypool is a good candiate to study if you wish to develop your bass playing in a more rhythmical direction.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
well, for one, les plays on a fretless. he's got to be dead on with his fingering, or it sounds awful. it also leaves him free to get down to microtones (tones in between, say...a and b flat or b and c). quarter steps and such. wooten, though he is pretty ****ing good, doesn't have to constantly worry about his intonation since he plays fretted.

I don't think Les ever uses the quarter or eighth tones or anything like that on his fretless basses. Also, he doesn't exclusively play fretlesses, he has a number of fretted basses and uses them alot. Now, Wooten mostly plays fretted basses, but he does pllay a fretless too. And when it comes to intonation, come on....it's not that difficult to sound spot on when you're doing incredibly fast slaps.
Quote by Lowend
/\ /\ Les has a movie coming out?! NICE

You have to take in account of this

Les sings
and plays
and has like 4 other bands after Primus

-The Les Claypool Frog Brigade
-Oysterhead
-Sausage
-Holy Mackerel

people like to play his licks cause they are fun and yet still challenging.

Groundhogs Day
Tommy the Cat
Sgt. Baker
John The Fisherman
Harold of the rocks
Frizzle Fry

all good ones
especailly Tommy the Cat

watch videos of him
great stage presence

and to top it off

he sounds like a hick
AND HIS NAME IS LES CLAYPOOL

like c'mon
sweet name or what!?

imagine his parents

Doctor- Well Mr. and Mrs. Claypool... its a boy... What do you want to name him?
Mr. and Mrs Claypool- "Les"
Doctor- "...ok?"

Les' movie "Electric Apricot" is a Spinal-Tap-esque movie where he plays the drummer in a band touring.

Adding onto the four bands you listed, he also plays in "Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains", or "C2B3".

He is NOT a hick. He was born in California, and his father was very wealthy.
And Les is actually a common name.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Les' movie "Electric Apricot" is a Spinal-Tap-esque movie where he plays the drummer in a band touring.

Adding onto the four bands you listed, he also plays in "Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains", or "C2B3".

electric apricot has most of the bonnaroo jam band circiut on it as well, including mike gordon.

and i never thought his father would be wealthy, i read somewhere that he had to sell his car in college to get too many puppies recorded.

i had to warm up to les, but i think that he has one of the coolest and most unique sounds out there.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^Then again, the day he first saw his first Carl Thompson, he bugged his mom and asked if he could get it. She paid for it.

Quote from an old, old Bass Player mag my uncle had laying around

Around my senior year, I bought an Ibanez Musician EQ bass. I had always wanted a Rickenbacker before, but then I decided the Rickenbacker was no longer the cool bass to have. I hung around Leo's [music store] in Oakland all the time; they had tons of new and used stuff. One day, I saw a Carl Thompson piccolo bass sitting there. I had stared at the photo in I Want to Play for Ya where Stanley had all his basses lined up, and a couple of them were Carl Thompsons. I always thought, `Man, that sure is an ugly bass.' I picked up the one in the store, though, and I couldn't believe it--it was so easy to play. Suddenly there were a lot of things I could play that I couldn't play on my Ibanez. I used to test basses by trying to play "Roundabout," and it was pretty easy on the Carl Thompson. I went home, and I begged and pleaded my mom for the rest of the money I needed to buy that bass. She lent me some, and I went back and bought it. It's still my main 4-string.

EDIT:
I was just reading through the article again.
I always love this part. I laugh every time
In high school, I met Kirk Hammett [now the lead guitarist of Metallica]. He was a burnout dude with thick, Coke-bottle glasses. Right in the middle of class, he'd say stuff like, [in burnout-dude accent] "Hey, Claypool--check it out, man," [holds chord fingering on right arm] "G chord, man. I'm gonna make it big." He introduced me to Hendrix, and he also asked me to sing in his band. But I was too embarrassed to sing in front of anyone.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Last edited by Incubus_SCIENCE at May 11, 2006,
/\ wow, i read he same article
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Once I was in music theory class... I said "When I grow up, I want to be Les Claypool". My teacher jokingly responded with "You should be 'More Claypool' instead". Then a kid in the class said, "What's a claypool?"

It was hilarious. My theory teacher does know who Les Claypool is... by the way....
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
haha "more claypool" that's pretty creative...

But on topic of Les, i'm like many of the other people here who had to get used to listening to Primus and Les' other bands. I think he takes more of the catchy, cool sounding rhythms instead of just slapping as fast as he can like Wooten sometimes does.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
Quote by metalicarules24
haha "more claypool" that's pretty creative...

But on topic of Les, i'm like many of the other people here who had to get used to listening to Primus and Les' other bands. I think he takes more of the catchy, cool sounding rhythms instead of just slapping as fast as he can like Wooten sometimes does.

is it just me or has really really been into just jamming recently? take animals should not try to act like people, theres 3 songs over 10 minutes long. hallucinogenetics has a lot of jams too. he jammed out with fancy band during a lot of songs, 30 minute drum duets and what not.

his older stuff was very refined, cut, and only as long as it needed to be. maybe claypool's been hittin the ol bubbler a bit too much thses days..............
Quote by Mr. T
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

I know he's not a hick
far from it
but his singing makes him sound like one
but thats just me lol
and i Have actually bever heard anyone else called Les in my entire life
i guess im sheltered up here in canada lol

Quote by Forcemaster
Dude, your hair owns.
Have a pie.

Quote by Lowend
I know he's not a hick
far from it
but his singing makes him sound like one
but thats just me lol
and i Have actually bever heard anyone else called Les in my entire life
i guess im sheltered up here in canada lol

les paul?
to threadstarter:
You're not the only one. I don't like les claypool. I don't like primus. I'm not saying he isn't talented, but primus is just not my "type" of music; not for me.

plus i feel that the "master of puppets" is sort of like the bass plays the guitar part, and the guitar plays the bass part, which is kind of wrong. and it sounds better when you slap and pop; not when you slap all the way.
haha...
Quote by mong12345
playtypus you save the day again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!