would it be possible to have a tremelo unit on my Epi SG with around the same kind of pitch changing capabilities that a Strat would have?
I don't know too much about tremelo units, much less about the ones for an SG, so any help on this would be great.
You can't put your standard Strat type trem on a SG. The body is too thing and the bridge rests too high up (because of the angle between the neck:body)

You however can put a Bigsby vibrato, a Stetsbar (doesn't need any drilling to mount it on) or one of those Lyre Vibrola things. Though most of these systems can't do the type of of pitch changes that a Strat can do with its system, they're mostly for adding a wobbly vibrato sound.

I believe there are some kind of wierd top mounted floyd roses that work on Gibsons though.
Hey, I was wondering the same thing. Can anyone give links?
I'm aware I can't put a strat type tremelo on an SG.
I was initially interested in a Bigsby, but found out they are only capable of changing the pitch by about a half step, right?
I'll check out the Stetsbar.

I've seen the Vibrola, but doesn't that change the pitch by about the same amount as a Bigsby?
Yeah, stetsbar, and bigsby and hte vibrola, and I think kahler makes flat mount trems now too.

Edit, its' the kahler 2300 series.
Last edited by kaplac at May 11, 2006,
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm aware I can't put a strat type tremelo on an SG.
I was initially interested in a Bigsby, but found out they are only capable of changing the pitch by about a half step, right?
I'll check out the Stetsbar.

I've seen the Vibrola, but doesn't that change the pitch by about the same amount as a Bigsby?

The Stetsbars are pricey though http://www.stetsbar.com/
You could almost go and buy a new MIM Strat for that price they go for. THough if I understand their site they can do the drops you're looking for

and yeah, the Vibrola changes the pitch about as much as the Bigsbys do
Well, goddamn.

Just looking at that pricetag hurts my wallet.

Thanks alot for the info, very helpful.
I think I might be better just buying a strat. Hah.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at May 11, 2006,
Wait, I was planning on putting a Floyd Rose on my Epiphone SG. Is this possible?
Quote by TweekGuitar
They are not heavy metal. They are pussy metal. They worship god.
Go on Ebay and type in LP tremolo...theres this thing by "Badass" or something that looks like a vibriola or something like that.Though that was last week so im not sure if its still on the block
nothin, but this vintage 61 vibrola.
to i_am_jimi, I can't say that sounds like a good idea.
You'd probably have to cut into your SG quite a bit, or do some sort of mods to it.
Quote by i_am_jimi
Wait, I was planning on putting a Floyd Rose on my Epiphone SG. Is this possible?

No.Sg's are too thin
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.