Hi all, new on here, though have browsed for a while now.

Recently my band (www.myspace.com/thisearlyfailure) have started to get a bit of notice from a few local indie record labels, and me and the other guitarist of the band really need a new amp each. His is ancient, something from the 70's couldn't even tell you what make! Mine is more recent, a Marshall MG50DFX.

As far as guitars go, I play on an Ibanez SA series and he plays on a Fender Strat with a double humbucker pick up, so you don't get a pants tinny sound out of it.

We play pop-punk music, mainly similar to bands like New Found Glory, Fall Out Boy (we don't care if you hate them! lol) which verges on other bands such as Funeral For A Friend and Taking Back Sunday.

While my amp is ok, I'd prefer something a bit larger for gigging and recording, as the other guitarist has a 100 watt amp. I use settings mid 6 treb 5 and bass 8 ish with gain at about 8 too, which gives me a nice pop punk sound. However, I wondered what type of amps we should both go for, with what kind of settings we should use? The pickups on my guitar tend to be a bit heavier distortion wise, which is good as I generally play the rhythm parts to our songs. He mostly plays lead, though we do inter change a few times.

I think we will both be looking to pay around £300 give or take about £50. Open to any suggestions, solid state or valve. Thank you in advance!
I want so badly to flame you, since it goes against all my better judgment to help anyone who's "similar to Fall Out Boy" to succeed, but just this once:

Try a Marshall DSL401 or a Fender Hot Rod.
if your serious about your music, you'd be willing to sepnd more money than that. You gonna have to spend at least $1500 (dollars) to get a good rig. For a really versalitle amp. I'd try to find a Mesa Boogie Stilleto or a Marshall Dsl or Tsl 100.

We play pop-punk music, mainly similar to bands like New Found Glory, Fall Out Boy (we don't care if you hate them! lol) which verges on other bands such as Funeral For A Friend and Taking Back Sunday.
QUOTE]

thats not "pop-punk" buddy- thats emo
Cheers for the info- knew I'd get slaughtered about the Fall Out Boy thing! I just said we're like a cross between those sort of pop punk bands and then taking back sunday or something- I know they're emo hehe.

the problem being is I'm still at college atm so with only a weekend job i can't afford much else, especially driving too.

any other ideas guys? cheers so far.
Maybe look into a Laney LC30 - all valve, loud enough for gigging, and it can get reasonably heavy for the type of music you play. They're around £350, although you can get them for less if you shop around.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^Yup, they're probably the best you can get for that price.

Maybe get a used Marshall DSL401(most of ....them type of bands use these) or a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with an overdrive pedal.

Make damn sure you try them out before you buy too.

Congrats on hopefully getting a record deal.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
thanks for all the info everyone, will do a bit of shopping around, see what I can find.
Quote by always_used

QUOTE]

thats not "pop-punk" buddy- thats emo

Umm no, emo is subjective and if you want to get tiechnical then they're pop punk, Sunny Day Real Estate is emo. Go to this thread , good read.

Eventually, if you're serious, your gear should pay for itself so get the best you possibly can and keep playing music
If you're at all interested in the Laney LC30 I mentioned before, here's a used one on eBay for £250, which is a good price. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laney-LC30II-All-valve-tube-combo-celestion-12-speaker_W0QQitemZ7414282413QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
you could just buy a bullet, and rent a gun...
ma gear

"it's too hard man, don't even try"
-jason becker

"get those flabby fingers in shape"
-rusty cooley