Here is the first of four songs recorded recently by the band I'm in, SpitFire. The reason it's only one of four is because this is the only one sent back, by the person who is doing the mixing and mastering, as finished. I'll post the other three up when I have them.

Okay, the song was written by Alex Rennie. It's our ballad (no lack of cheese ), but our other songs have a much harder edge to them. Our stye is influenced by 70's and 80's rock bands, especially the likes of Queen in the vocal department.

Enjoy:

www.myspace.com/spitfirerising - When Angels Cry

Our other songs can now be heard here

Any comments, feedback or constructive critism would be excellent.

The band:

Edd Ingham - Vocals
Matt Mason (me) - Lead Guitar
Alex Rennie - Rhythm Guitar
Alex Botting - Bass
Jason Smith - Drums (and that excellent wail into the final chorus)
Last edited by Mathamology at May 23, 2006,
hi there matt, just heard your song and i mut say i quite like it. the only real prob i found was that the drums seemed slightly out of timing at some parts, but i don't really care much about that. overall... me likes
ana.
so who do i have to kill to get a crit? --> Memory

(e-cookie for whoever spots the alliteration, ha)

y cuando llegue el momento, sólo el viento se llevará lo que siento; y cuando acabe mi suerte, sólo en la muerte estaré fuerte y despierto...
Quote by spanishsmn
hi there matt, just heard your song and i mut say i quite like it. the only real prob i found was that the drums seemed slightly out of timing at some parts, but i don't really care much about that. overall... me likes
ana.

Hi, thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback

If possible, do you think you could specify where the drums go out of time please, that would be great

EDIT: the reason I ask is because our drummer is really sturdy and reliable. I'm confident he doesnt go out of time, perhaps it was the guitarists?
Last edited by Mathamology at May 11, 2006,
i think the drums definitely goes out of time. The bridge with the new drum beat on the off beats and then changes back to the on beat.

also, was that your singer's first time in a studio. he sounded really tight, as in nervous. he's a be pitchy inparts too but geez, i really like the tone of his voice. to me he sounds lilke he is trying to hard to stay in tune rather than just sing with feeling. he'll get there though, i took me years to break that habit. the harmonies are mixed really well and well thought out.

drum sound was a little "loose" for my taste. i like my drums nice and tight.

that said though, it's a damn fine song.
The rhytm part (rhythm guitar, bass and drums) seem pretty alright to me apart from the drums going out of time in a certain part. Drums need some reverb though. Now to the lead guitar and vocals. Considering the whole sound quality of the song, you need a better tone for lead guitar... I don't know, maybe delay would help in solos like the one at the beginning. And there some "fuzz" that I don't like. But playing is good, apart from some slightly out of pitch bends, and the solo at the beginning has a lot of feeling to it, wasn't it for the tone. About the vocals, they're alright but need to be re-recorded in my opinion. You can clearly hear from this recording that the singer can do good things but maybe he's nervous or dunno what and his voice is not alright in some points. And the voice needs some kind of reverb or something too. All in all, this has potential but needs to be just a little better.

Crit mine please
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357288&goto=newpost
hi again matt, just went back to your song and i think u might be right, it's quite possible that it's not that the drummer who goes out of time but the guitarists. u c, there's a couple of places where u guys seem to speed up a tiny bit, and since the drummer keeps the rhythm it looks like he's fallen behind or smth. i noticed that somewhere around minute 1'15 and especially around 2'30 (where the singer goes "take my hand, let's fly tonight..").
dunno, really can't c any other problem in this song...
oh and about the singer, i pretty much agree with ^^these guys, he really can sing. i'd quite like to hear some more stuff by your band, so feel free to pm me when u post those three other songs (i'd appreciate it very much)
ana.

y cuando llegue el momento, sólo el viento se llevará lo que siento; y cuando acabe mi suerte, sólo en la muerte estaré fuerte y despierto...
It's pretty good, the only fault I found was already mentioned (the drum thing) and there were a few times when the two guitars sounded a little off from each other but it was only for like a second. It reminds me a lot of Blaze-era Iron Maiden, I like it though.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Yeah, i played for drums for that song. You guys may have a point, but let me assure you on a few things.

Firstly, there were three drummers around when it was recorded and it is now clear that it is the guitars and bass that are out of time. If you can, i listened to it on some crappy speakers and only the drums came through, and they were in time. The first chorus is at exactly the same tempo as the last one so its not that bad.

Also note our singer was ill on that day and was really struggling with a cold, so i think he did very well.

About the off beat stuff, yeah its meant to be like that, a bit of variation, you dont have to stay playing off beat forever.

Being a big Maiden fan, you are right about a blaze era.

I appreciate the comments and hope you want to hear some more stuff.
definitely let us know when the rest are up as it is really good.

singer had a cold? bummer. couldn't rebook the time in the studio at all? reminds me of the time one of my old bands was about to head in and the drummer fell off a roof and broke his arm.

and i wasn't saying the off beat part sounded wrong, it was the change back from the off beat where i most noticed the timing issues.

was that you doing the scream? that was awesome.
Cheers, sure will, another song should be ready soon.

Yes, that was my scream, my proudest moment.

Well, you say studio, but actually it was done at my house and in the near future we may well redo a few bits as well as more songs.
Next song should be up by the middle of next week.
Okay, I've been referred to this from bond. read the comments.
Firstly:
The drums do not go out of time. The guitars do go out of time at the bridge and hopefully a little editing will rectify this problem.

Secondly:
The vocals need reverb or delay?
Can i ask what you are listening to this on? any more reverb on the vocal and they will sound distant. It's the.....i was going to say 90's......it's the 2000's, vocals don't have loads of reverb on. The idea is so that the vocals are up front and personal, a mix is as much about emotion as it is about positioning, EQ and levels.

thirdly:
It was recorded live (with exception of guitar solos and vocals). The drums were mixed down to stereo on the fly and hence why a "tight sound" can't be achieved.

Fourthly (is there such a word?)
What's wrong with slight timing inaccuracies? You all must have heard at least one iron maiden song, there's timing errors at some point in all their songs (even when clive burr was drumming). The problem is that people have become too used to the over-produced tracks of today where half the bands on the scene in the studio don't even use live drums or their drummers don't even record the drums. They get a session drummer to do it - you'd be surprised at the amount of bands that do that.

Fifthly (this is getting silly)
The drums need reverb, yeah, i must admit i agree on that but there is a good chance this could muddy the mix a bit but it probably does need a little reverb.

Sixthly (last one i promise)
Guitar tone? who cares.......and i'm a guitarist. everyone has a vision of what the perfect guitar sound is. but listen to your cd collection, do all the bands have the same guitar sound? (if the band was produced by an american producer within the last 10 years then the answer is yes).
The fact is, this wasn't recorded using top of the range marshalls/mesa boogies in a top recording studio with thousand pound guitars. You ain't gonna get the "perfect" sound. You can however get great sounds from cheap equipment.
E.g. The dire straits brothers in arms album was recorded using a cheap les paul copy.

and finally.......the guy mixing the songs currently has a burst ear drum in the left ear.........what chance have they got?

Okay, I've sounded like a complete dick throughout this. but don't hate the band because of me, I've got nothing to do with them.....I just happen to know them.
man, ^^that must be frustratin... (breakin an arm or smth b4 recordin, i mean)
anyways, u guys really did a good job with that song (yeah, i know i'm repeatin myself ), so u shouldn't worry that much about the timin. oh and i totally agree with wookie, that wail was amazin, bond706
i'm lookin forward to hearin some more of your songs, matt, bond706.
ana.

Last edited by spanishsmn at May 12, 2006,
The band has real potential.

The singer needs to try to stretch higher during the chorus, IMO.

The lead guitars tone wasnt smooth enough, it was too clippy and rough for my taste. It didnt go well with the rest of the stuff. This sounds really GnR esque and I like it.

Now that I listen, most of the problem with the lead is the guitarist, hes sounds like hes afraid to the touch the strings, hes putting to little or too much presure or something. Something just doesnt sound right about his playing.

The lyrics seemed a little cliche to me, other than that

Great job.
BOLD.
Last edited by maddd0g at May 12, 2006,
Quote by maddd0g
The band has real potential.

The singer needs to try to stretch higher during the chorus, IMO.

The lead guitars tone wasnt smooth enough, it was too clippy and rough for my taste. It didnt go well with the rest of the stuff. This sounds really GnR esque and I like it.

Now that I listen, most of the problem with the lead is the guitarist, hes sounds like hes afraid to the touch the strings, hes putting to little or too much presure or something. Something just doesnt sound right about his playing.

The lyrics seemed a little cliche to me, other than that

Great job.

Seconded
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
I really liked this song. Your band has real potential. The singer is very good IMO. He harmonizes great with your song. I'm anxious to hear more. Also I do hear timing issues around 2:30 w/ drums as someone said, but great job.

I have a cover of a Tool song. If you don't listen to Tool then you dont' need to listen to this but if you do..... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358055
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
a very nice ballad... the lead guitar is good.. but it needs maybe some delay. or change the tone.. cause its missing something. the singer did a good job.. but im sure he could do a much better performance than that. i liked the sound of the rhythm guitar, nice tone.. the drums were good too. overall i like it alot. the quality was great. keep it up guys.

plz check my stuff out http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358925
Hey I'm the vocalist in this song. I would have loved to have gone higher in the chorus, as I do usually, but in the week when we were recording I had a cold and soar throat. If you listen closely to the second verse between lines you can hear my asthma acting up. Usually I can reach a high E without using falsetto, like the one heard in the chorus of Run to the Hills, but during that week, I could barely scratch an A. Thanks for all your positive comments though.

Edd x
Quote by Edd_Ingham
Hey I'm the vocalist in this song. I would have loved to have gone higher in the chorus, as I do usually, but in the week when we were recording I had a cold and soar throat. If you listen closely to the second verse between lines you can hear my asthma acting up. Usually I can reach a high E without using falsetto, like the one heard in the chorus of Run to the Hills, but during that week, I could barely scratch an A. Thanks for all your positive comments though.

Edd x

Damn that sucks. I hat when I get colds and sore throats, I have it right now, and I was planning on recording some songs, but I can barely sing right now.
BOLD.
its actually, and sectretly a fade to black rip off, even the solo.

the timing of the lyrics go to it too

its pretty funny actually-- dont do that ever. i would say its good, like the recording quality is good but... its all just composure that makes it fit... its well produced but as a song its horrible.

the lyrics are over and over agian
and they arent even catchy

you lead guitar isnt doing much and thats ok but dont work up the speed and then kill it off i thought i was finally going to pick up

unoriginal--- i know its your baby and everyone else has their opions out there, so dont take offense... its ok but there are a million poeple that can make up three words that sound like the crumbs of a good songs intermission and repeat them over and over again for three chords with a lead playing 3 notes....

i would personally perfect pop punk over that.
Last edited by silentdud at May 14, 2006,
Quote by mathamology
First up, sorry I can't write this myself, I'm banned (Damn that

user elimination thread), but its only for 10 days so I will return soon.

maddd0g:

Now that I listen, most of the problem with the lead is the guitarist, hes sounds like

hes afraid to the touch the strings, hes putting to little or too much presure or

something. Something just doesnt sound right about his playing.

I know exactly what you mean, and here's my excuse.

I'm not a bad guitarist, not great, but not bad. I can play this perfectly live, but when it

comes to recording I was a little nervous about really going for it. I guess I was really

focusing on playing it right rather than actually getting it to flow perfectly.

Plus it was a cold morning, and I hadn't warmed up, but thats my own fault.

silentdud:

its actually, and sectretly a fade to black rip off, even the solo.

the timing of the lyrics go to it too

the lyrics are over and over agian
and they arent even catchy

you lead guitar isnt doing much and thats ok but dont work up the speed and then kill it

off i thought i was finally going to pick up

unoriginal--- i know its your baby and everyone else has their opions out there, so dont

take offense... its ok but there are a million poeple that can make up three words that

sound like the crumbs of a good songs intermission and repeat them over and over

again for three chords with a lead playing 3 notes....

i would personally perfect pop punk over that.

Okay, firstly thanks for your input and I respect and appreciate your opinion. I don't

think we were really expecting to suit everyones taste with this song.

I'd like to add that this song has been nowhere near Fade To Black, none of our band

members are really into Metallica, and I'm not sure if the songwriter actually has heard

that song. What's funny is that we all thought it sounded like Children Of The Damned

(well, the intro at least has more or less the same chords)

To be fair, we have been writing songs for less that 6 months. I'm sure our style and

experience will develop the more we play together.

And I'm not quite sure what you meant by you would personally perfect pop punk

over that...

But thanks to everyone who has listened to it and has commented. I'll gladly return

some critique, as soon as I'm unbanned

- Matt

Well, having just listened to Fade to Black for the first time i can say, how is it Fade to

Black? Not like it one bit. I'd also like to point out that the guy who recorded our songs

is a Metallica fan and he didnt pick up on this.

So-silentdud
In that case, to say we have copied a song is a load of horse crap. Having seen what you

have to say about other peoples song and having listened to yours............take your

head out your ass and stop thinking you are a musical god. Have you ever heard of

constructive critiscm or do i detect a wee hint of jealousy that alot of people are

producing better stuff then your own.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Bond
Ok, so I'm the guy who wrote the song. First of all can I say I'm very flattered that my song has caused so much discussion - good and bad.

Right, the song. There are a few comments saying it sounds like other stuff, some well respected acts too. I can honestly say I've never heard the Metallica song, I might check it out though.

I feel that a few people are missing the point of the song. It's meant to be a cheesy, chliched power ballad - that was the breif. It's just a simple little song, about my girlfriend that took no time to write. And it's such an obvious and well used chord progression, the song was always going to sound like other stuff.

Ok, the recording. All 4 minutes or so of the song was recorded live and the fact that people are picking out specific moments in the song where timing slips a little is not only a complement in itself but also a testement to how tight we can be as a band. I can assure everyone that it is us with the strings who play out of time - not our rock steady drummer. And I agree with rockgenie, there are far too many recordings out there sounding for one reason or another that they're played by robots. Also, we only recorded one vocal chorus, which was copied for the other choruses. It was perfectly in time and we played the song without a click track. I reckon that's pretty steady.

As for the overall sound of the band, I am very pleased with it for a home recording. The credit here has to go to our genius of a producer. We're all young so we're still learning and we didn't use top of the range gear. The 'good tone' on the rhythm guitar was created using a Squire Tele and a 100W Marshall so thanks for that (and yes, Tele's are the future of metal, haha).

So thanks for all the feedback - much appreciated and keep it coming.
I never picked up the fade to black thing at all.......i've heard that loads of times and i've heard when angels cry about 200 ****ing times!!!!!!!!!! and having listened to fade to black again....nope, sorry, can't hear it. Yeah, they follow a similar pattern in that it's got a clean intro with a solo, a verse, chorus, solo, verse but that's it.

If it were a rip-off of any song, it would be children of the damned, but if you play them directly after each other they sound surprisingly different.
Then the chorus sounds like "wasting love" from maiden's fear of the dark album but the vocal line is totally different.

But to say it's not catchy......i disagree.
Although to be fair, i have heard this more times than the band have so...maybe not.
Everybody has their own opinions, good or bad...on every band there has ever been.
I've got my criticisms, but i was there when they were recording.........i produced the bloody thing, but i know the situation, i've heard them live and thought they were better live than on the recording. Yes, i would say it's mostly down to nerves. I'd be bloody nervous too in their situation. If they were to do it again i think they could do much better because they wouldn't be quite so nervous....and maybe the singer won't have the cold from hell.
And the bit he said about being able to belt the high E..........he ain't bull****ting.

I personally think, in a few years they could be quite good, at the moment they're just developing and gaining experience and confidence.
Already, they're tighter than some big name acts were in their earlier days...or even now (iron maiden for one......perhaps one of the least tightest bands ever....except in the "live after death" era).
The drummer (bond), if he puts in the practice could be really good. I used to be in a band with him and have heard a lot of his stuff....perhaps in too much detail and he really has tightened up a lot in the last few months.

And as for some of silentdud's comments...........you can't tell someone else how to play a guitar solo (okay.......i do to the other guitarist in my band at times), but you can't say that once you start playing fast you've got to keep playing fast. It's quite a skill to play fast and then slow down.

"unoriginal" - can anyone name a totally original song? every song ever, has influences from somewhere.

Songs don't have to have loads of lyrics, often, the less the better....depending on the length of the song and how often they're repeated, compared to most pop songs this doesn't have many repeats.

And the use of the word cliche is bollocks.
Everything is a cliche. Rock, Metal is a cliche in it's own right.
Lyrics, personally i think are always cliche'd. There's only so many things to say.
65% of songs are about love or the lack of it / hate.
15% are about sex
15% have biblical references (e.g. the four horsemen, and most of maiden's earlier lyrics etc)
5% about money
There's the odd random one like about building houses or something but not many.

Rennie? Tele's are the future of metal?............i think i'll stick to my Jacksons, Mavericks, and BC rich's (yes, bond.......there's another guitar on the way).

I've really got to shut up. Whenever i get on these things my fingers just don't stop bloody typing and my brain keeps producing this mental diorrhea.

Plus, i'm also starting to sound like the type of person i hat on forums, so i'll say bye...and make use of my fingers elsewhere.
The chours is sorta boring, I like the guitar solo, and the drums are sorta messed up after the solo though.
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
ya, some timing issues.

also, with the harmony, try taking it up a pitch. that will add some depth, drive, and emotion to the song. also, sing the chorus harder.

and try putting at least one more line in the chorus. like, get a bit more descriptive as to what happens when angels cry.

example -- "when angels cry, sorrow bleeds the night." that probably doesnt fit the song, but just an example
what
and again....... i'm gonna guess that hardly anyone here plays drums. Why? because everyone thinks the drums mess up after the solo.........wrong.
I've played just the drums on their own to a click track and they fit perfect.......the timing issue lies elsewhere.
Here's a bizarre concept........guitar players can go out of time!

This song needs some editing done on the guitars in that section. Not even touching the drums, just edit guitars.

Take the harmonies up a pitch? you mean put them in the wrong key? okay, i'll stop the sarcasm. The harmonies an octave higher which is what your suggesting would sound cack. The idea is that it's a sad song....which it conveys well. Taking the harmonies higher would make it sound like Iced Earth. They're trying to be themselves, not rip-off someone else.
For me, the harmony in the chorus is the best part of the song.

Chorus...boring? no, it's not got a lot going on in it, but that's what makes it good.
It ain't boring. An example to prove my point (god, this'll start a verbal riot), Personally, I find all Tool songs boring, not just choruses, or verses, but entire songs...........it hasn't done them any harm has it.

Why does the chorus need any more lyrics? I really cannot understand people who say a chorus needs more lyrics, leave that to the verses. Keep the chorus as simple as you possibly can.
E.g. Europe - The final countdown, it has 4 words in the chorus!
Free - All right now.....essentially 3 words (excluding "yeah baby it's..",
AC-DC - Highway to hell "I'm on the highway to hell".
Get my point, 3 classic songs with hardly and lyrics in the chorus but a fair few in the verses.

"sing the chorus harder" - yes, and no. It works as it is, but it would also work if like you say "sing it harder". but that's easier said than done.

At the end of the day, do what you want. For every person that likes it, there will be at least 2 that don't, that's just the way it is in this business. Don't take advice from anyone who either:
A - Isn't in the band
B - Didn't write the song
C - Isn't paying your wages
D - takes their time to criticise and patronise you

So basically, if they ain't in the band, they're not the songwriter, or they ain't your manager......don't listen. Because if you do you'll either go mad, or worse........ start sounding like some post-hardcore emo type band going nowhere fast.

I say, just keep on doing what you're doing. With music there is no good and bad....it's all about preference.
And the best bit......the bigger you get, the more people want to bring you down.
U wont take advice from anyone, whats the point in posting it then? Pure promotional purposes perhaps... but then i wouldnt post a so-called unfisnished song? and flaming(ok that sounds kinda drastic) everyone that doesnt like you're song? im sorry but that aint really the way-to-go mate.

At the end of the day, do what you want. For every person that likes it, there will be at least 2 that don't, that's just the way it is in this business. Don't take advice from anyone who either:
A - Isn't in the band

This is the biggest piece of bollox ive read in a long time, not listening to anyone else then ppl that are in the band for oppinions is a bit weird. I couldve agreed if you're guys were some kind of proggresive/newstyle band, but you're not.

DONT GET ME WRONG, i like you're song, its not bad, but if you're not looking for the oppinion of other peeps then in you're own band, maybe you should consider not posting it here.

Quote by iMaiden
U wont take advice from anyone, whats the point in posting it then? Pure promotional purposes perhaps... but then i wouldnt post a so-called unfisnished song? and flaming(ok that sounds kinda drastic) everyone that doesnt like you're song? im sorry but that aint really the way-to-go mate.

A - Isn't in the band

This is the biggest piece of bollox ive read in a long time, not listening to anyone else then ppl that are in the band for oppinions is a bit weird. I couldve agreed if you're guys were some kind of proggresive/newstyle band, but you're not.

DONT GET ME WRONG, i like you're song, its not bad, but if you're not looking for the oppinion of other peeps then in you're own band, maybe you should consider not posting it here.

I'd just like to clear something up - rockgenie isn't in our band. What he said there isn't necesserily the views of the band, but his own views. Okay, he produced the song, so he is involved with the band, but I just really want to say that none of the band are flaming or ignoring people's opinions posted here.

The only time any band members have been rather defensive has been when people were saying the drums were out of time. And the only reason they were so defensive is because they aren't - its the guitaring. And perhaps when Silentdud said it was a rip off of a song none of us had ever heard.

I didn't post this song because I was looking for promotion. That's what the MySpace is for. I posted it because I wanted to share it with other people, and see what they thought about it, and get feedback. I appreciate everyones comments, even negative comments, I was never expecting everybody to like it. In fact I was perhaps expecting more negative feedback than we recieved.

Anyways, hope that cleared a few things up (and sorry again that I can't write this in person). Glad you liked the song

Matt

Also, no more about the drums being out of time/messed up, its been explained above many times which leads me to believe that some people dont read. Im not gonna moan anymore, im glad you have taken time to listen to the song and have expressed your views, some of which have been noted.

Bond
Like Bond/Matt said.
Don't take what i say against the band. I'm not a member. And my views are not necessarily the views of the band.
What i did write in my last post is probably one of the best pieces of advice you can have. although this can depend on the type of person you are. If you take everything personally.....ignore views of others. If you can take it on the chin....listen but don't neccesarily take the advice on board.
And that advice is taken from people much higher in the business than anyone posting on this thread (okay, i can only assume).

Plus you've slightly mis-quoted me. Opinions and advice are different things. By all means, take opinions from everyone. take advice from people within the band, song writers, managers and another one.....people you hold in high regard or have a good reputation within the industry.

Personally, i think the worse place to put anything, is on a forum like this. Basically you're inviting criticism because.....well, am i right or am i not wrong with:....
Did any of you listening to the song not listen out for mistakes? just so you can go ha ha!

Don't lie
typing as i listen
nice intro on the guitars
nice vocals
i think u could pull the vocals out a little
like draw the words out
like u say 'selfish hearts' it could be 'sellfish hearrts'
i think it might be a little better
but vocals are really good
i like the lead guitar
it doesnt overdo it
it fits real well for the song
the drums kinda go outta of time there where the palm muted guitars come in
good song!

9/10! crit 4 crit? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360246
Quote by MarchOfEternity
Oh, and azza, you're a pretty good writer! Graybass is a god amongst men and you're turning real quick to be his new messiah lol.

Quote by graybass_20x6
You're doing good, mate.

Keep up the good work.

I'll take A for $500, Alex.
aaaahhhh, can't anyone read?
The drums do not go out of time. Why does everyone assume that if there's a timing error it must be drums?
Apart from that, that last reply was good. Critical without being patronising.

although
"like u say 'selfish hearts' it could be 'sellfish hearrts' "
- i'm not sure i agree. I see what you're saying and to an extent i agree, if looking at that line on it's own, but i think in context with the next 2 lines that follow, extending the hearts would make every line seem like it's drawn out and monotonous. I think it needs the variation between the short words and long ones.
What you don't want to happen is for all the lines to have drawn out words.......otherwise you end up with "unchained melody".

But yeah, that's your view, this is mine.
At least you had a valid point and reason.

I still can't hear "fade to black".
"life it seems to fade away.....drifting farther every day"
"In the cold, lights pass by, doubt creeps in si...e..ide."
Nothing like.

Although, considering the band have never really heard fade to black, and you say it's just like it. I'd take that as a compliment, because "fade to black" is a great track, probably one of Metallica's best.
Quote by rockgenie
Like Bond/Matt said.
Don't take what i say against the band. I'm not a member. And my views are not necessarily the views of the band.
What i did write in my last post is probably one of the best pieces of advice you can have. although this can depend on the type of person you are. If you take everything personally.....ignore views of others. If you can take it on the chin....listen but don't neccesarily take the advice on board.
And that advice is taken from people much higher in the business than anyone posting on this thread (okay, i can only assume).

Plus you've slightly mis-quoted me. Opinions and advice are different things. By all means, take opinions from everyone. take advice from people within the band, song writers, managers and another one.....people you hold in high regard or have a good reputation within the industry.

Personally, i think the worse place to put anything, is on a forum like this. Basically you're inviting criticism because.....well, am i right or am i not wrong with:....
Did any of you listening to the song not listen out for mistakes? just so you can go ha ha!

Don't lie

Hes putting it on here because he wants it critted, we arnt trying to go HAHAHAHAHA, we are trying to help. You're the one being the dick here.
BOLD.
Easy, easy! No one's being a dick (except silentdud, dick). Rockgenie is sticking up for a song he produced from a home recording, and I have to say he has done a fantastic job. Frankly I agree with him. It is good to listen to people's opinion, but I don't think Matt put the song on here for people to tell us how to play it. It is to see people's reactions so we know the effect our music has on people.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinins, but I think someone writing an essay about how we should play our own song is wasting their time. We are very happy with the way this song has panned out and wouldn't change it for the world (except maybe redo my vocals without a fecking cold). Cheers Rockgenie (Terry)

Edd x
Erm......Terry, you can stop sticking up for the song now, It's not Mozart. The only explanation I can find is that after putting all those hours in mixing it, you've become emotionally attatched to it somehow!!!

Thanks for all the comments. But if one more person says the drums go out of time.......NO THEY DON'T. Any other coments are allowed.

Haha, those suggested lyrics are the worst lyrics I've ever heard....sorry Jon's Cranium.
rockgenie, you did a good job producing this song for a home studio. on the other hand, i would stick with producing and not so much talking. the song was put here on purpose to be criticized.

anyway, i could care less if there are slight imperfections. i think everyone is getting too technical and they are missing the task at hand.

the song has real potential, and is actually worth listening/critting. the vocalist has done a good job. even though he had a cold when he recorded this, i would like to see him expand his range a tad during some parts.

overall....good job.

my 2 cents.
Wow! Nice recording quality.
Maybe the lead at the beggining could be less fuzzy? And reverb would help it alot.
Nice vocal melody and voice.
Chorus is great! Nice and loud, but the vocals could be alot stronger

Harmony guitar at 2:25 is great. Nice Bridge.

Lyrics are kind corny. lol

Overall, good! PLEASE change the lead guitar tone thogh! Singe would be better when he isnt ill.

7/10!

CRIT 4 CRIT? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5621444#post5621444
Dude, awesome song. If you haven't already, purchase an Ebow. I think it would suit you guys very well.
I'm being a dick?
What?

Tell me something i don't already know!

Basically....like Edd said, there's a difference between saying whether you like it or not and saying why. But not to say "don't do that.....it should be like this..." etc.

Rennie, I can slate the song if you want but that doesn't help anyone, i could give constructive criticism but it'd be a waste of time because i'd end up contradicting myself.
It goes slightly out of time......big deal. And it's not the drums!! okay, if you want to be pedantic then yes....there is one kick that's a little out but that's it.

The lead guitar tone.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I like the roughness of it, i'm more one for ridiculously smooth lead tones, but this works.

The lyrics.....they're cheesy, who cares?
When was the last time a song without cheesy lyrics helped the career of a band?
Cheesy lyrics = a single.
a few singles + decent size fan base = record deal.
That's a fact.

The vocals.....i'm not even gonna start. Yes, they are somewhat weak to what you might expect from a song like this. But he did have a cold. Maybe one day we'll re-record these.

No, it's not Mozart. But what makes Mozart so great? Yes, he was a musical genius but can you actually listen to any of his music for any length of time? i know i can't.
Complexity is great, but simplicity is even better. But if you can make complex sound simple.....then you've cracked it.

It feels like i've said nothing but already this post is getting long.......reminds me of my guitar solos.
Rockgenie stop posting here if you're just going to blindly defend the band against all comments. This is a place for constructive criticism and the band are taking it well. We don;t need fanboys coming in blindly seeing no wrong.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Rankles.
"blindly defend the band against all comments"

Did you read the line where i said:
"I can slate the song if you want"

I ain't going to blindly defend anything. Infact blind is the complete opposite. I know this song better than the band do, right to each part, each slight ****-up etc.

I cannot believe, considering this is a guitarists forum, the most blatent of errors on this track.......on a guitar. Just about sums up how much you people know.
I ain't gonna tell you what it is, you don't even have to listen closely. It's nothing to do with the playing either.
It's something we tried to overcome in the recording session but didn't entirely get there, so we had to leave it.

Slash-120, are you talking to me?
- No, i'm not a guitarist in this band, or any member of the band.
I'm just a dick, apparently