Hey everybody. I'm stuck in a rut - when it comes to my lead playing, all I play are the major/minor pentatonic scales. I'm pretty fluent with these, but I find it to be very limiting. All my solos sound the same - I'm looking for some ways to improve, but I don't really know where to start. At the very least I need new ways and/or licks to play within the pentatonic scales, but probably it would be better to learn some new scales. I would also like to learn some music theory as it applies to guitar. Does anybody have any suggestions on books and/or online resources to teach me some new stuff?
i used a college level music theory book to learn it, it helped incredibly (though i learned so much sometimes its hard to pick out what i want to use) i would recommend learning other scales then learning how a scale is created/ the intervals used to create one, then make some up based on the music theory behind it
if you haven't already, i suggest starting with the major and minor scales. you'll find that the pentatonic fits right in.
major scale: root, whole step, whole step, half step, whole, whole, whole, half.
minor scale: root, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step.
if you're a metal player, harmonic minor is a pretty common scale. you can really get some cool sounds out of it.
the basic pattern is: root, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, half step, whole and a half step, half step. just a minor scale, but you add an extra half step between the 6th and 7th notes in the scale. if you hang around the 7th (a half step below the root), you get some interesting eastern sounding riffs.
basically, knowing the major and minor scales will allow for a more complex solo, though it can get overly flowery if you're not careful.
sorry if it sounds a little confusing the way i describe it, or if you already knew those ones, but from what you've said, it sounds like the next logical step for you to take.
Thanks guys, that helps. Gonzo - nice icon - the Pumpkins are my favorite band. Corgan is my favorite guitarist - I would love to be able to play the way he does on Gish. Maybe I should try to learn the Geek USA solo...
Are you really fluent with pentatonics? There is so much you can do with them, it crazy. Do you know all patterns all over the fretboard? Can you play three note per string pentatonics?

One thing I like to do, that greatly improved my lead playing, is experimenting and "tricking-out" my pentatonic scales. You can add major third, b5, 6th, and minor 2nd. This will have so many passing tones that it will be good for bebop, funk, or blues.

tricked out pents
------------------------5-7-8-9---
--------------------5-7-8---------
----------------5-6-7-8-----------
------------5-7-9-----------------
--------5-6-7---------------------
-5-7-8-9--------------------------
how about....**** the scales....compose a solo by parts...depending on the length...and figure out the notes....thats it...its all down to composition....the rest is shit.
Quote by ordinary_story
how about....**** the scales....compose a solo by parts...depending on the length...and figure out the notes....thats it...its all down to composition....the rest is shit.

Um............no. How about that? Scales exist for a reason.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Old thread.. Don't up these.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje