View poll results: Which Amp
Marshall
8 44%
Crate
2 11%
Randall
8 44%
Voters: 18.
I have an ok Roge amp, but im looking for a half stack. I was thinkin about Marshall MG100DFX combo, but it doesnt hyave an effects loop. I also saw a Crate and Randall amp for $100 dollars less, with an fx loop, but, I mean, its a marshall. Which should I choose?
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
Marshall MG? I'll leave this for someone else...

Which Crate and which Randall are you talking about?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
First off, at this stage in the game I'd be looking for a combo and not a stack, If its possible, go to a shop and play each one extensively untill you can narrow it down. Check out tone, versatility, build quality, price, features, etc. Think about what sounds are most important to you and bias your decision towards that. Don't expect a lot of amp from a small price tag that you'll see with these solid state combo's. I haven't played an MG since they first came out years ago, and I haven't played anything that crate or randall has come out with in the last 10 years so I can't really comment on these amps personally. And don't listen to the people that just post "MG suxx!!!!11", find out if they suck on you own. Spending a lot of money on a low-quality solid state stack just isn't worth it unless its an old vintage Kustom "tuck and roll" which I would very much like to own.......................... a sparkly blue one
Last edited by Gutch220 at May 11, 2006,
based on ur name, i would go randall. excellent solid state amps. or u could go h&k. in fact, u might be able to get a used classic 30 for that amount

good luck
Quote by Gutch220
. And don't listen to the people that just post "MG suxx!!!!11", find out if they suck on you own.

Let me just say about the MG, as i own one you can get very very few tones out of it. The effects are sub-par, and the only tones you can get out of it are mediocre at best. But, if you want to find out if you like the tones try it. It's your call, my advice.

My advice, not a metal head but, maybe a XXX at that price, supposed to be a metal machine.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by synester_gates
I have an ok Roge amp, but im looking for a half stack. I was thinkin about Marshall MG100DFX combo, but it doesnt hyave an effects loop. I also saw a Crate and Randall amp for $100 dollars less, with an fx loop, but, I mean, its a marshall. Which should I choose?

What I have highlighted is exactly what Marshall wants you to believe. MG's are not Marshalls, they are (A)SS.
I voted for the Randall but really, how much can you afford. In the price range for the Marshall there are a ton of great combos available (Traynor YCV50 blue).
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
the price range is $500-$600 I do alot of my shopping on musicians friend
I play heavy metal
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Last edited by synester_gates at May 12, 2006,
Which Randall and Which Crate are you talking about? It's hard to say which amp is better when you don't know which amps you're talking about in the first place
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
For that price if you play real heavy metal get on Ebay and find a nice peavey 5150 or XXX combo. All tube and great metal tones IMO
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
no fx, my setup is gonna be The amp, a rocktron noise surpressor, digitech digidelay, digitech metal master, crybaby wah, then the Schecter Damien 6 guitar im getting.
I dont want a tube amp, and not off of ebay!
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Quote by synester_gates
no fx, my setup is gonna be The amp, a rocktron noise surpressor, digitech digidelay, digitech metal master, crybaby wah, then the Schecter Damien 6 guitar im getting.
I dont want a tube amp, and not off of ebay!

A tube amp will blow away almost any solid-state amp (note I said almost). The only trouble with tube amps is replacing the tubes every once in a while.
Yea tube is that way to go with Metal so if you don't want one I think you should reconsider. What's wrong with getting something off ebay? I got both my Peavey XXX and 5150 off ebay for a little under 500 each great deals for a high gain all tube amp.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!