i was wondering what do i need to build a basic amp cab(lis the obvious if you like i need all the help i can get) and if it would be ok to use plastic for the casing(its lighter...dont know why no one uses it, but i guess is that it messes up the sound)
oh and also if there are any sites you recommend...i was thinking about a 2x8 or 2x10
speakers, wood, possibly tolex if you want it, yeah and im thinking that if you use plastic it will probably buzz...
the plastic could work but it all depends and your sound will be much thinner. It's really easy to mount the speakers and setup the outputs and inputs. Most companies give instructions with their speaker(i.e. celestion, jensen, and eminence)
^It will be too hard to match a 3x12 cab with an amp ohmage wise.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^It will be too hard to match a 3x12 cab with an amp ohmage wise.

2 8 ohm speakers in series and another 16 ohm speaker wire in parallel with the 2
Quote by seljer
2 8 ohm speakers in series and another 16 ohm speaker wire in parallel with the 2

Damn, should have taken a moment to think before I said that, nice call.

Still though, that really limits you.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
use wood. Plastic is just.... plastic... Would you want a plastic guitar to have it lighter??
Quote by Klayy
use wood. Plastic is just.... plastic... Would you want a plastic guitar to have it lighter??

I dont know, I've seen people make subwoofer boxes out of fibreglass and that kind of stuff. Its only the audiophiles who make stereo speakers out of exotic hardwoose.
seljer im pretty sure that woudl mean that the 16ohm speaker woudl be working TWICE as hard as either of the 8 ohm speakers.

odd numbers of drivers are hard to work with, chances are you will not get optimum impedance. i guess theres a 1.5db efficiency bonus of using 3 instead of 2 drivers, but why not just go t oa 4x12? itll allow you to get max power from your amp, be 3db more efficient than 2 drivers, and be less headahces in the long run.

also in my experience for electric gutiar, a 12" driver is better, theres much more selection, and the drivers are usually better quality.
Simon,
1x12 8ohm cab
mono jackplug, ground to negative on 8.ohm speaker, live to positive?

nick