I read an interview with Tom Morello once that said he always washed his hands before he picked up his guitar. I started doing this and I kid you not...my strings started lasting twice as long. Plus it's good preparation because when I wash my hands its like "It's time to play guitar now".
Lock up your daughter...Lock up your wife...Lock up your back door....and run for your life
you mean they break if you dont clean them?

school told me nothing about this *runs around in a panic*
sweet
thats pretty useful information
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
I also always wash my hands before playing.
It feels good !
Quote by Yakult
Why are you talking to yourself? Stay off the drugs
Quote by SilentDeftone
Yes, but playing with wet/damp callouses is bad for them.

-SD

I meant wash and dry LOL.
Lock up your daughter...Lock up your wife...Lock up your back door....and run for your life
I too have been told this. Strings do last much longer if you wash your hands before you play them, but you have to dry them before playing too. Also, by washing, I mean by using soap.

I've also heard that you can clean old strings by using rubbing alchohal or boiling them in hot water... I'm not sure if these are true or not though.
take THAT, SilentDeftone.
Quote by NAME GOES HERE

Did you see what I did there? I made fun of his mom!
They sell sting cleaner/lubricant. That can help too.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
I've also heard that you can clean old strings by using rubbing alcohol or boiling them in hot water... I'm not sure if these are true or not though.

I would think putting them in water, boiling or not, would defeat the purpose of prolonging rust. I just use my guitar cleaner spray on them. 3 months and counting and they're still like new!
I've always done that, isn't that kinda common sense?
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I heard that jimmy page boiled the strings so he could save money on strings.

One night me and my friend did it to the strings on his bass and it amazingly worked. The strings had that new crisp sound with a clean feeling.
Member #4 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Quote by SLASHfan01
I heard that jimmy page boiled the strings so he could save money on strings.

One night me and my friend did it to the strings on his bass and it amazingly worked. The strings had that new crisp sound with a clean feeling.

When I said boiling the strings, I was talking about bass strings. I've never thought of boiling guitar strings.

Also, generally taking good care of your guitar and keeping it clean can make its body very nice for a very long time. <kinda obvious lol
boiling guitar strings is not good, they lose tone that way. I dont know why.
i never ever clean my strings or wash my hands before playing, because i gotta get my sweety hands and oils on the strings otherwise there just so....stiky? is that the word, you know with a brand new set you gotta break em in
i nevar wash my hands before playing, but i should start and i regret not, because a bunch of disturbing crap has built up on my neck and its gonna take me at least two hours to clean, but i haven't changed my strings in six months either....
if you have sweaty hands try washing your hands with "stronger" soaps in that way your hands will be really dry, or you could just apply some anti-perspirant
one should not feel threatened by opinions contrary to his own
Quote by agmoney429
i nevar wash my hands before playing, but i should start and i regret not, because a bunch of disturbing crap has built up on my neck and its gonna take me at least two hours to clean, but i haven't changed my strings in six months either....

haha my friend hadent changed his bass strings in 2 years, I pick it up started playing and got orange fingertips from the rust

I dont wash my hands either, but i always rub down the strings with a cotton cloth after playing, but im gona start washing my hands now
Quote by Xplosiv
haha my friend hadent changed his bass strings in 2 years, I pick it up started playing and got orange fingertips from the rust

Sounds like my friend, geez..
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I usually do. Sometimes when I haven't, though, I've had stuff on my hands and sometimes it makes it a bit easier to move around.... SOMETIMES.