Hey. I've been looking around at pedals and am wondering what is true bypass and why is it good? Thanks.
True bypass is a direct line (bypasses the pedal's circuit) when the pedal isn't in use (makes the pedal transparent when off). It may be good, it may be bad. It deals with signal loss and overall tone. If you want to lose some gain, add some noise, change tone a bit throughout the whole system whether pedals are off or on, true bypass is not for you. I have a few pedals with TB and a few without..it's just personal preference.
Schecter CSH-1
Schecter Omen 6
Schecter 30th Anniversary Traditional
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey XXX 40
Digitech Whammy
Visual Sound H2O
FullTone Clyde Deluxe Wah
well you have 3 types of bypass:

-tone sucking bypass, these are not good, they take away quiet a noticeable bit of your brightness when you're not using the pedal (the regular Dunlop GBC95 crybaby has this)

-true bypass, when you've got the pedal switched off, its like the pedal never existed, signal goes directly from the input jack to the output jack

-buffered bypass, so they can get away with using a switching system like in the tone sucking bypass but without the problems they put a buffer that has a high output impedance (whereas guitars/pickups have a rather low impedance) at the start and end of the pedal. This usually gets rid of the problems. The Boss pedals and Ibanez Tubescreamers all have this system. Some purists argue that the buffer negatively effects your tone.
Other than that if you've got a long line of effect pedals its good to have a buffer somewhere at the start of them as it 'drives' the signal through the rest of them.
Quote by seljer
well you have 3 types of bypass:

-tone sucking bypass, these are not good, they take away quiet a noticeable bit of your brightness when you're not using the pedal (the regular Dunlop GBC95 crybaby has this)

-true bypass, when you've got the pedal switched off, its like the pedal never existed, signal goes directly from the input jack to the output jack

-buffered bypass, so they can get away with using a switching system like in the tone sucking bypass but without the problems they put a buffer that has a high output impedance (whereas guitars/pickups have a rather low impedance) at the start and end of the pedal. This usually gets rid of the problems. The Boss pedals and Ibanez Tubescreamers all have this system. Some purists argue that the buffer negatively effects your tone.
Other than that if you've got a long line of effect pedals its good to have a buffer somewhere at the start of them as it 'drives' the signal through the rest of them.

Thanks for the help. I have a Boss Tuner, DD-3, DS-2, Big Muff and Vox. Would these screw with my tone much?
IMO true bypass it always a good thing except in digital delay's where you want your repeats to trail off after you turn off your pedal. IMO Boss makes good digital delay's that hardly effect your tone at all.