OK, I'm not a GAS master or anything but I keep hearing that rackmounted stuff is the way to go for recording and for playing at home. How much does a basic rack with noise gate, eq, and effects go for? Why does everyone worship rackmounts?
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Rackmounts is your own custom rig you can have all your gear in one place and its easily transportable so much of a selection and you can mix and match equipment have a Engl Power AMp and Mesa Pre amp
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Yeah and don't forget to mention that good rack gear will cost you through the nose. That mesa preamp will run you $1200 and the ENGL poweramp will be about $1800-$2000

I'd say a rack is anything BUT 'easily transportable'

A nice, secure, quality, large rack will be something like 200lbs.. not counting componets.. or so I hear.

Edit---
Keep it in mind::::

You'll need patch cables for everything. (at least $10 each, For all connect)
You'll need footswitches for any effects you want to switch on or off from the rack(custom footswitching units start at $1600 basically.)
You'll need at least these componets-
--Rack case (200-300)
--Power/conditioner/light(100-200)
You need either a rackmount head... OR.. To run it through a cab
preamp (400-3,000)
poweramp (to run it through cabs unless you have a nice PA and stuff. $400-$2000)
Rack devices are more expensive. Always. Much more expensive. (10,000 for the top of the line delay unit?!)
Rack gear is much harder to find. (and it makes it even harder to find it used, thusly, the resale value is higher AND you have to pay more either way.)

You can have a rig with 8 effects pedals on a board and a head + cab and it'll probably run you $2000-3500, for a quality equivalent rack it'll probably cost you over 6,000.

My Ideal little rack here, noise gate, eq, effects, etc.

Rack ($300)
Conditioner ($100)
Alesis two channel digital EQ(sweeet.. about $400 new)
DBX compressor/gate ($300-400 new.)
TC Electronics GMajor effect unit ($400 new..)

Patch cables, power supplies, whatever.. maybe $100 for low grade stuff.

Soo.. about $1600 for a NEW rack. You could pay about $800-$1000 for the stuff used, but yeah, its personal preference.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 11, 2006,
Fireworx, Harmonizers, ...........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
YA genocide is right abotu that. but geno when i said easily transportable i was kinda thinking about myself because i have a truck sry. SO ya its expensive as hell but it would be well worth it if you could get it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
the sheer versatility that can be achieved through a rack setup would be a advantage. i'd love to have a tone the ended up sounding half way between mesa and marshall.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
So for someone like me who is pretty effect-less, there is really no advantage to using a rackmounted set up over a chain of pedals?
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83