I really need help, I keep getting major fret buzz on my guitar after I put my new strings on. I have been adjusting the bridge up and down and up and down for over 2 hours, And it gets better but the action is way high. I need help!
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Last edited by Angus76 at May 11, 2006,
You need to adjust the truss rod. Go online and look for directions on how to do so. But be extremely carefull, you can break your guitar if you screw up on it.
It's probably not even fret buzz at all. Is it present only on the Low E string? You may just be picking the Low E too hard or awkwardly. You may also be confused with the metallic sound of new strings.

Yea, he's probably right. Only do like 1/4 or 1/8 turns on the truss rod and give it 5 minutes to settle before you try it again or you may snap your neck.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
I'll try and help you out with a few pictures here in a little bit.

Your bridge should be parallel with the body (not at an incline at all as this will put stress on the neck)

I'll also show you about where your action SHOULD be for the 12th and 24th frets. As I have my guitar setup about perfectly with NO FRET BUZZ!
Quote by Chimaira
It's probably not even fret buzz at all. Is it present only on the Low E string? You may just be picking the Low E too hard or awkwardly. You may also be confused with the metallic sound of new strings.

I agree.
VAN HALEN - March 13 at the Izod

Quote by xchiefx
What kind of idiot mows the street
Quote by Diminished29
I'll try and help you out with a few pictures here in a little bit.

Your bridge should be parallel with the body (not at an incline at all as this will put stress on the neck)

I'll also show you about where your action SHOULD be for the 12th and 24th frets. As I have my guitar setup about perfectly with NO FRET BUZZ!

If you have a different guitar then it won't work as most guitars have different action and action is mostly preference. What might be perfect for you could be horrible for him.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
New strings buzz, you need to work them in. Also which string is it? Also if your playing in a low tune, your strings may be of too light a gauge causing it to buzz because its too limp.
I got DR .10 gauge, which I always buy, and this time it is being stupid.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
I've had that too before and after new strings, I got around to correcting it by tightening the Intonation screws. Now it's perfect!

edit: .9 gauge
Ibanez RG321MH - (PAF Joe / FRED)
Vox AC30
What tune do you play in? I use DR .11-.50 because I play a lot of Bodom covers (They play a step below).
Quote by Graphicism
I've had that too before and after new strings, I got around to correcting it by tightening the Intonation screws. Now it's perfect!

edit: .9 gauge

Uhh, you shouldnt mess around with the intonation lol. Your high notes will sound out of tune if you mess it up.
Hmm, I don't know what the problem is. Maybe your neck got warped, I forgot what its called... Its on the tip of my tongue... TRUSS ROD. Look at the neck and if its not straight then fix it but if you don't know anything about how to fix it with the truss rod, take it to a shop because you could wreck your guitar.
The neck can't be warped, because it was playing beautiful right before my strings broke, and had to put new ones on. It did change the action though before i put the new set of strings on, which I should not have, because I had barely any buzz before.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Its the truss rod. Take it to a guitar center and have guitar tech look at it. Id fix it for ya but i dont live where you live lol. Srry man
Here, use this as a starting location. As "Chimaira" already mentioned action IS PREFERENCE, but here is what I have set it to, about as low as I can go with no fret buzz.

Last edited by Diminished29 at May 11, 2006,
Ok thanks for the pix, I am going to go check out my guitar right now.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Your welcome.

Again, more than likely YOUR'S WILL DIFFER, however, it'll give you a ballpark estimate in which to start with.