Hi guys, well, I have been playing guitar for a long time and the playing is second nature, but the second I open my mouth I mess up, I can sing pretty good and my band is having some difficulties with our singer and I was wondering if anyone knows any good excercises to make me able to play and sing... Thanks
Travis C
My Guitars:
80s Charvel RR V
80s Kramer Baretta II american
1990 Jackson Dinky
80s B.C. Rich STIII
Fender MIM strat
Hamer Special
LTD F-250
80s Westone
Epi SG
My Custom "super squier"
Custom Kramer 300st
71 Yamaha acoustic
be able to play the song in your sleep, start with an easy chord progression likie dust in the wind or keep on rockin' in the free world.
yeah i have to agree.

if you play a certain song over and over and become familiar with it, singing and playing guitar will become perfectly natural.
i have the same problem...

just try practicing singing something simple while playing something simple.. and then try and move on

like... play straight 8th notes with power chords or something, and then sing something simple over that... then try changing up either of the rhythms.
or play a simple-ish kinda song that you can both sing and play
like... the general by dispatch.. not too hard to do both once you've got it down
Know how to play your songs perfectly without thought. Start to sing softly at first over it and then just gain your confidence and sing loudly. The only hard part is when you dont remember a chord change (thats why you have to know how to play without thought). When you get good at singing and playing you can start having a conversation with someone while playing which is pretty fun to do.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i disagree with what deception.. said
i can play a bunch of songs or riffs that i wrote without even thinking... but just saying a single word or trying to sing can throw the whole thing off for me...

oh well.
Quote by phoenix_88
i disagree with what deception.. said
i can play a bunch of songs or riffs that i wrote without even thinking... but just saying a single word or trying to sing can throw the whole thing off for me...

oh well.

Obviously you don't know them well enough. It's all about getting the song down so you can play it in your sleep, and knowing the vocal timing.

Start off with a song where the vocal timing and guitar part are timed with eachother easily, then just keep practicing. It's not easy to start, just practice.
Quote by PAsistem
then you obviously werent cut out to play guitar

Shut up, thanks.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Quote by PAsistem
make me

Grow up kid, and listen to better music.

As for the poster's dilema, take it extremely slow, play the song extremely slow, at first, don't even sing, I'd try to speak it, as long as you keep the timing fairly on-time.
Sometimes when I'm hanging out with friends at either their house, a bonfire, fishing, whatever, and I have my guitar, I just talk and play some arpeggio chords or riffs, try talking while playing, so you get used to playing at least simple things while you use your voice.
I personally can't sing as I play, but I think what I suggested could help, as it helped me play simply while I can focus on my conversations.
Quote by Hovertruck
Yao Yao
haha i do listen to better music. i havent updated that thing in years. litterally years.

but that is the end of this spat with you, because arguing on the internet is like racing in the special olympics. even if you win, youre still retarded. the end
Quote by PAsistem
arguing on the internet is like racing in the special olympics. even if you win, youre still retarded. the end

How stunningly original.

I told you to shut up because you added nothing positive to the conversation or topic.
Quote by Hovertruck
Yao Yao
its true though. you seem pretty retarded, seeing as you have started an argument for no apparent reason and you advise me to listen to better music when i couldnt help but notice that your musical taste consists of crappy washed up 80s hair metal bands.

at this point. this thread has officially gone nowhere. lets just hope the original poster is getting a kick out of and is on the road to becoming the next eric klapton as far as his simaltanious (oh however you spell it) vocalizing and guitar playing.

hugs and kisses for all
Quote by PAsistem
its true though. you seem pretty retarded, seeing as you have started an argument for no apparent reason and you advise me to listen to better music when i couldnt help but notice that your musical taste consists of crappy washed up 80s hair metal bands.

at this point. this thread has officially gone nowhere. lets just hope the original poster is getting a kick out of and is on the road to becoming the next eric klapton as far as his simaltanious (oh however you spell it) vocalizing and guitar playing.

#1. It's Clapton.

#2. It's Simultaneous

#3. Ages of the bands listed in my profile
Yes - 1960 (Prog)
Children of Bodom - 1990 (Metal)
Yngwie Malmsteen - 1980 (Neo classical)
Bonnie Tyler - 1980 (Soul)
T. Rex & Marc Bolan - 1970 (Glam)
Frank Sinatra - 1950 (Classic Rat Pack)
Ravi Shankar - 1960 (Religious orthodox indian sitar)

#4. I started the argument to make you realize that posting **** like that
isn't necessary and doesn't help or contribute to the topic whatsoever by
saying he sucks and can't do it, basically.

#5. If you feel arguing online is absurd and useless, why continue to fight with
a 'retard' like me? If you believe in not arguing online, why continue? why not
'be the bigger man' and follow through with what you believe?
Quote by Hovertruck
Yao Yao
Quote by PAsistem

hugs and kisses for all

WHOA.

WHOA.

I hope that sh*t wasn't on my coat.

Try talking and walking around first before you attempt singing. Do vocal breathing exercises... a problem that most people have is that they stop taking full breaths. A big part of singing and playing at the same time is having completely trust in your hands and fingers to play the guitar without too much though while the rest of you focuses on singing.
[quote="AngilasGuy
T. Rex & Marc Bolan - 1970 (Glam)
FQUOTE"]

Who the Hell Listnes TO Marc Bolan

anywyas my advice is too start by just playign easy stuff stuff so easy you feel dumber playing it, for example whne i started to try and sing i started with seven nation army
the second part of my advice is dop somethign with easy lyrics, theres a reason anothony kiedis doesnt sing and play
Your Lord And Master ,
Pertoleum

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> < hail ze bunny, live ze bunny, love ze bunny
Quote by PAsistem
then you obviously werent cut out to play guitar

i agree with AngilasGuy, there are plenty of great guitar players that don't sing.

anyways, i have the same problem(but i can't sing). Howver in the pitiful attempts i have every once in a while i find it's best to have the guitar part 100% perfect and then try to sing along, it's all about coordination, which is the reason i don't play drums.
Try to keep up a normal conversation while playing the guitar. But make sure you know the part 110% before you try singing. Make sure you can play the riff without thinking.

Thanks for all the advice, and thanks to AngilasGuy and PAsystem for making me laugh my ass off lol
My Guitars:
80s Charvel RR V
80s Kramer Baretta II american
1990 Jackson Dinky
80s B.C. Rich STIII
Fender MIM strat
Hamer Special
LTD F-250
80s Westone
Epi SG
My Custom "super squier"
Custom Kramer 300st
71 Yamaha acoustic
Practice some Black Sabbath (I don't know how much you like them) like Iron Man or NIB, because they synched the guitar and vocals together, so it'll get you into the swing of keeping them together.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.