Page 1 of 2
Ok I deleted my other post for pickups since I have time to type out everything now. I am looking for pickups for a custom built stratocaster that I am looking to get built for me. It will be in S/S/H formation. I am looking for a twangy, nice and bright clean sounding tone for my neck single coil. Something that I can use for my clean voicings. For my middle single coil I would like a warmer and a little thicker clean tone. But something that can also get me a bit of a distorted punch with some gain in it. For the humbucker I want something that can push my range a bit heavier. Not too heavy as I don't play much metal. I would like it to distort very well and handle harmonics nicely. All in all I want these pups to give me a range from blues and jazzy tones to a puckish hard rock and classic rock. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Last edited by OsirisProtocol at May 11, 2006,
Well, how much are you looking to spend?

For example, on the cheap end I got a set of hot alnico staggered from Guitar Fetish for $50 that sound great. That's 3 singles though. You can mix and match with them and still come out under $100.

You could opt for spending ton of money though with a full set from Bareknuckles.
A bit less would get you a 2 singles and 1 hum from Swineshead.
Less than that puts you in the Duncan/Dimarzio/Bill Lawrence range (around $150-175 for a mixed set)
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
It's for my custom strat in which I am willing to go all out for to get what I need. So price doesn't matter.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Bareknuckle sinners. Oh my!!
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Fender SCN pickups are nice for the single coils.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Neck: Sey-Dunc STR-1 Vintage Rhythm (Telecaster neck pup- hey, it's a custom strat, you can make it fit)

Mid: Sey-Dunc Alnico II Staggered (I have 'em in my strat, they sound incredible for overdrives and cleans)

Bridge: Sey-Dunc Custom 5 or Bareknuckle Black Dog
Bareknuckle's all the way... There's a list of all the HSS packages you can get here ...I would be inclined to go for either the VHII & irish tour set, or the Stormy Monday & apache set (both £190, so $360, for the set)...There is the product page for BKP so you can read up on what's what - and check out the forum, they're really helpful
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
do u live in the states?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
TNfootballfan62: Fender SCN for both the neck and middle positions?

Danno: I woun't use a tele pickup for the neck coil because I plan on getting a tele built so I will save it until then. For the Sey-Dunc Alnico II Staggered in the mid position what music do you play on your strat? bridge pup is still up in the air. I will have to get a bridge pup that will compliment my neck and middle coils and won't overpower them way too much I guess.

deg0ey: I have been considering going completely Bareknuckels but I really don't know what to pick from them so that's my major issue.

Jenny: Yes I live in the states.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

i asked about your location, because already expensive BKs get even higher priced when shipped here.

a clean neck can be found at lace sensor. (blue, gold or hot gold)

a strong overdrive middle pup is something like a texas special, or a silent, dimarzio virtual vinatage heavy blues stacked single.

and a punchy classic rock bridge humbucker might be a pearly gates, or an alnico II.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

As far as those SCN pickups, yes i meant both. I dont know if those pickups would be exactly what you need, but i think they are nice. They have beautiful clean tones. It may not be the best suggestion for the middle pickup, but it wont be bad.

Jenny made some really good suggestions. Just remember the middle pickup for the Texas Special is reverse wound.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at May 13, 2006,
I don't mind the price to much. If anything I would just save abit more before ordering the pups. I am checking out the recommendations now.

Edit: Ok here is my idea thus far for the single coils at the very least. A Lace Sensor Gold in the neck position and a Lace Sensor Light Blue for the middle position. I am thinking about getting Lace Sensor humbucker from the Dual series to keep up with the asthetics but I am not sure which yet if I do go that route. I do have a question about the Hot Gold though. Is it more suited for my preference in the neck position the the normal Gold? I might go with a Transensor set but I need to look into those more.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Last edited by OsirisProtocol at May 13, 2006,
Sounds good to me, i'd still go for the BK's - but the sensor's are great pickups in their own right

deg0ey
If I do go with BK's which would suit me better a Mother's Milk and a Crawler or a VH II and Irish Tour set? It's a toss up for the time being between BK and LS.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

You wont be disappionted with Lase Sensors, but i must say, if it were me, i'd get a pearly gates in the bridge, a Texas Special in the Middle, and a Fender SCN in the neck. (Yes, i like Jenny's suggestions, lol.)

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
"If I do go with BK's which would suit me better"

Right then, lets get analytical - overall, you want blues and jazz to classic rock

Humbucker:

Crawler - Geoff Whitehorn sig pickup...being teh guitarist for bad company, i think it'll be able to do blues and classic rock very well imo http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3844 or http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3707 for soundclips...

VHII - Described as Vintage Hot, so think maybe a cross between an SD 59 and JB? (but better) not too sure about the details if this one...http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3258 or http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2824 (actually some irish tours there too)

Singles:

Mothers Milk - "Hot Vintage", not much i can say - i don't know much about single coils, it's more the area to ask others... http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1625

Irish Tour - "Gritty, Bright and Hot", again i can't say much... http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2689

Overall, i think you'd be best heading on over to the forum... http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&topicdays=0&start=0 that's a good one where people post their own sound clips for your comparing pleasure...if you want to really know which ones would be best for you, PM Tim over at the forum and tell him exactly what you're looing for - he's the guy that builds them so if anyone knows what you want he does

Also, i think they'd probably let you combine any combination of single coils and buckers , and that the ones on the site are just a guide - but you'd have to ask that, obviously

deg0ey
if u go bk then i have no idea. but....

if ur thinking about lace and yes, they dont match other brands, looks wise.
but if u go lace...
get hot gold (spicier than the gold) neck,
and silver middle ( a better transition pup) im still liking the texas, but this will do.

and then go all out with a pearly gates humbucker, or even a custom custom, or alnico II.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by OsirisProtocol
Danno: I woun't use a tele pickup for the neck coil because I plan on getting a tele built so I will save it until then. For the Sey-Dunc Alnico II Staggered in the mid position what music do you play on your strat? bridge pup is still up in the air. I will have to get a bridge pup that will compliment my neck and middle coils and won't overpower them way too much I guess.

Well, I generally play heavier music than the Strat wants to (thus my purchase of an EQ pedal), but whenever I'm playing clean or mildly overdriven parts, like slower Gn'R songs or The Who songs, they get a great warm, surfy tone. I like 'em, at least.
Ok quick break down for everything.

Danno: Thanks for your input.

StratRat13: Meh I listend to the samples and thats about all I can say.

deg0ey: Thanks alot. I found that I like the Apache and the Irish Tours tones quite a bit. I emailed Tim and he told me to go for a Crawler bridge humbucker, Irish Tour middle and
Mother's Milk neck.

Jenny: I will get back to you with my responce in a couple minutes. *Ok so I edited the post and put up all my options.

Edit: Thing is I if I go with Lace Sensors I amgoing for everything Lace. If I go with BK's I want all BK's. If I go with anything else I wouldn't mind mixing and matching. I am also thinking about changing my build concept before I actually order from Algee. I have been thinking about going S/S/S instead of S/S/H. Go for the complete vintage strat vibe I guess.

So these are my choices (courtesy of Jenny with my own twists):
Lace Sensor Hot Gold (neck), Light Blue (middle), and Red (bridge) S/S/S
Lace Sensor Hot Gold (neck), Light Blue (middle), Arena/D-150/Hemi (bridge) S/S/H
Lace Sensor Hot Gold (neck), Light Blue (middle), Dually Lace Red/Silver (bridge) S/S/H
Texas Special (neck), Dimarzio Virtual Vinatage Heavy Blues Stacked (middle), Pearly Gates (bridge) S/S/H

These are my choices (courtesy of deg0ey and Tim with my own twists):
Irish Tours (singles) and Crawler/VH II (bridge) S/S/H
Apache (singles) and Sinner (bridge) S/S/S
Mother's Milk (neck), Irish Tour (middle), Crawler/VH II (bridge) S/S/H

Edit 2: Thank you ToBeAGooner, StratRat13, TN footballfan62, Chips, and Mudders for your input.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

If you get that Texas Special in the neck, you will NOT be dissappointed. I love mine.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
What do you guys think about me possibly switching from S/S/H to S/S/S? I will make my decision on this matter tonight.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

I would vote for S/S/S, but im a vintage strat purist. I love single coil pickups.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
lol. Well I think I might make a poll on it and then come back to this thread after I get some results.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Posted poll. Link is here. Can you mix the Lace Sensors with other pickups? How is the Custom Custom Bulletbass Man?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

OMG Preid (in the other thread) is a genius...Go S-S-H, and put a coil split in, that way you have the best of both

Just reading your sig - you already have teh BK Crawler in your PRS? That should make this decision easy

deg0ey
not disputing Preid's genius status, but coil splits rarely sound single-coil-ish.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

That is what I have been thinking about recently. I have my PRS coil split after I put a rotary on it but it doesn't sound eh... "natural" to me. It's good just not natural.

Edit: I made up my mind I'm going S/S/S. I also have broken down the list of choices:

So these are my choices (courtesy of Jenny with my own twists):
Lace Sensor Hot Gold (neck), Light Blue (middle), and Red (bridge)
Lace Sensor Hot Gold (neck), Light Blue (middle), Power Sensor (bridhe)

These are my choices (courtesy of deg0ey and Tim with my own twists):
Irish Tours (singles) and Sinner/Trilogy Suite (bridge)
Apache (singles) and Sinner/Trilogy Suite (bridge)
Mother's Milk (neck), Irish Tour (middle), Sinner/Trilogy Suite (bridge)

Edit 2: Texas Special setup has been dropped as I heard some cound clips of a friend of mine who actually has that setup but with a Duncan bridge pup. The double Mother's Milk setup has also been dropped at least for now.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Last edited by OsirisProtocol at May 15, 2006,
For the humbucker, you should check out High Order Pickups. A pickup made to your custom specifications, and only for 60 bucks. Win-Win.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Have you ever used one? Site looks kinda plain and fishy but meh. But I am going S/S/S now anyway. I'll check em out for other needs.

Edit:
Ok I narrowed my decisions to these sets.

LSP:

BKP:
*As for the BK's I am torn between the Sinner and Trilogy for the bridge.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Last edited by OsirisProtocol at May 19, 2006,
^ ask tim...i've not used any of those so i can't help you i'm afraid

deg0ey
the red is nice, its a hot single. the power sensor, i have no idea.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by OsirisProtocol
Posted poll. Link is here. Can you mix the Lace Sensors with other pickups? How is the Custom Custom Bulletbass Man?

The custom custom is one of the best seymour duncan pickups out there. It's my favorite right behind the pearly gates. Pearly gates aren't as good for the bridge however. I only use them in the neck.
Bulletbass man thanks for the reply. I am still gonna look into the custom custom for another guitar but I decided to go S/S/S with this strat.

As for Jenny I dropped the power sensor. I dunno just a feeling lol.

And deg0ey Tim said and I quote "OK, for a similar chunk to a humbucker the Trilogy Suite bridge takes some beating-great fat tone but still sounds like a Strat too."
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

^ well there you go, get the trilogy in the bridge, and then irish tours in mid and neck...sorted

deg0ey
Ok I just got finished working on everything. I just sold my PRS SE. I swapped back the original pus into it. I put the Condor and Crawler into my Schecter. Came out nice but still have to finish testing it.

Back to the strat now. I finally broke everything down to the final choices. And here they are:

or

Delema is this. I already told you guys what I want out of my tone. I want to know how powerful the Red Lace Sensor is. I am trying to figure out whether it is stronger or along the same rate then the Sinner or Trilogy. I am also still deciding between the Sinner and Trilogy. Tim told me to go with the trilogy and that will probably be it but I want to know if the sinner can get compare to the trilogy at crazy rates.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2115&highlight=sinner SINNER or TRILOGY http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263&highlight=trilogy

I have to say you should almost certainly get the BK's...And i would go with what Tim says, independant thought is what ends people up with bad tone

deg0ey
Page 1 of 2