ok well im sorta new to heavy metal but ive realy realy gotten to like the style...i was just wondering...how is it possible that these guys do these solos without any of the hammer ons or pull offs...the strum all the strings....it just doesnt seem possible for ur fingers to move like that...but obviously it is....my question is i wanna get to be able to play like that...and i know PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...beleive me i do..hours a day........but r there any exercises or songs i shuld work on to get my speed up??

-j3
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
yes but not near as much as ude think ude need to...on there solos they strum almost every string
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
ok...but my question still remains the same...and dont flame me on my grammer please...this is a guitar site...not english
Using proper english makes you look smart. Anyways, WyldeOD, I was reading an interview with Zakk Wylde and Nick Cantonese (sp?) and Nick said they pick every note because it sounds less thin and more powerful. They also play the solo together live at the same time. That's fucking crazy.
Quote by EvilMonkeySG3
ok well im sorta new to heavy metal but ive realy realy gotten to like the style...i was just wondering...how is it possible that these guys do these solos without any of the hammer ons or pull offs...the strum all the strings....it just doesnt seem possible for ur fingers to move like that...but obviously it is....my question is i wanna get to be able to play like that...and i know PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...beleive me i do..hours a day........but r there any exercises or songs i shuld work on to get my speed up??

-j3

Are you talking about sweep picking maybe? Look it up on this website under lessons and you may find what you are looking for.
Alternate pick from the low E to the high E as fast as you can without screwing up, going 1-2-3-4 with your fretting hand and then go back up(going up is a little harder at first). Then work on skipping strings doing the same thing, i.e. E string, D string, A string, G string, D string, B string, and so on. It probably won't do much for your fretting hand, but it should speed up your picking hand a bit.

BTW start out slow to get it down then gradually speed it up, I tried starting out at warp speed and ended up pulling a muscle in my hand.
i know what sweep picking is. Im not very good at it but ya i know what it is. but realy i just wanna get some tips on how to build up my speed and dextarity so i can play zakk/dimebag type solos...i dont wanna copy there style...i just wanna get to that talent level at some point
Learn a rapid up/down picking pattern, it's all in the wrist. Use mute and deadend the strings. Hammer ons / pull offs are metal.... didn't Dime invent it? LoL

tune down to D.
look up the steve vai 10 hour workout on this site
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Pentatoniczzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
what do you mean, wylde and dimebag have TOTALLY different styles.
dimes licks are mostly fast legato stuff while zakk picks everything he possibly can.