Call me crazy, but i think ive heard some people talking about relitive key. Would anybody mind explaining me what it is?
i think this is what ur talking about. each key is made up of 7 notes. for instance the key of C Major is: C D E F G A B
In every major key the 6th note is a minor. in this case the 6th note in the key of C is A. A is ur RELATIVE minor to Cmajor. to play in the key of a minoe it would be the same 7 notes except u would tart on A.

*u can do that with any key. just remember that the 6 note in ever major key is the relative minor of that key.
Well, here is a list of the major scales and their relative minor scales:
Major Key | Minor Key
C | A
G | E
D | B
A | F#
E | C#
B | G#

F | D
Bb | G
Eb | C
Ab | F
Db | Bb
Gb | Eb
^Those are done in order of the number of #s/b's. Starting with 0 #s to 5#s. Then 1 flat to 6 flats.

And the above post explains why these are relative.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Last edited by flyingjew34 at May 11, 2006,
Quote by skippertipper
Call me crazy...
If you insist.
...but i think ive heard some people talking about relative key. Would anybody mind explaining me what it is?
Relative keys are those keys that share a key signature. For example, C major and A minor are relatives because they share the same key signature, namely no sharps or flats. G major and E minor are relatives because they share a key signature consisting of one sharp.

On a somewhat more practical level, you can determine a major key's relative minor by descening a minor third (m3) from the major key's tonic. Let's use Bb major as an example of this process...

If we descend a m3 from Bb we arrive at G, the tonic of Bb's relative minor key. These two keys, one major and one minor, share the key signature of two flats, Bb and Eb.

Working in the other direction, we can determine a minor key's relative major by ascending a m3 from the minor key's tonic. Let's use D minor in this example...

Ascending a m3 from D minor's tonic, D, we arrive at F. We can thus state with confidence that F major is the relative major of D minor. We also know that these two keys share a key signature, namely one flat, Bb.

Perhaps this graphic will help.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Last edited by gpb0216 at May 12, 2006,