I'm looking to buy a new guitar perferrably a Strat, a 50's reissue. My question is when buying a new or used guitar what do you look for, as in dents, bad quality, basically anything wrong, like how can you tell if there's anything wrong? Also when I buy it would they raise the action because since I play the blues I need something with higher action (Strings high off the fret board) would they raise it for free? Also any tips on getting them to throw something in for free would be great.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
If you go into a large chain store, like GC, they have a built in commission. It is usually pretty big, about 15%. Personally, I think retail is for suckers and I go into the store with that mindset.

I'd think of it like this: They all want to make some commission, so if you let them know that you aren't paying the sticker price, they usually will knock of 10% or so. This way they get something instead of nothing.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Thx, I'm either gonna buy a guitar at like Sam Ash, or a mom and pop store nearby where they have this nice looking Fiesta Red 50's reissue strat for $420. I was thinking theres something wrong with it because of the big knockoff the price, retail is like $600.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
If it is a Mexican "Standard", and not an American strat, that is not really that great. You can get one for under 400 at some of the online stores, and probably get a better selection. It's just a thought, but I would check them out at least.
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Quote by The Master Plan
Thx, I'm either gonna buy a guitar at like Sam Ash, or a mom and pop store nearby where they have this nice looking Fiesta Red 50's reissue strat for $420. I was thinking theres something wrong with it because of the big knockoff the price, retail is like $600.

Ive said it once, Ill say it again. Checkout Craigslist before you buy. I got a killer deal from thier, and every day i see used instruments in great shape going for way less than the GC ripoff price. The dude above me is right, if it is a Mexican, the most you would be looking at on craigslist is around $250.
Can I have a link to that site?
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
craigslist.com, click the nearest city to you on the far right and then go to musical instruments. Dont be afraid to wait awhile either.
^^^That is good advice, but make sure of a few things like straightness of the neck and condition of the frets. Neck issues are tough to fix and the frets also show amount of use.
Quote by LEPIV
If you go into a large chain store, like GC, they have a built in commission. It is usually pretty big, about 15%. Personally, I think retail is for suckers and I go into the store with that mindset.

I'd think of it like this: They all want to make some commission, so if you let them know that you aren't paying the sticker price, they usually will knock of 10% or so. This way they get something instead of nothing.

GC Employee here. Frankly if you made a demand like that as a first time customer you'd be lucky if I had the time to deal with you, much less take the tax off. And the commission isn't nearly that big, so don't think I wouldn't have a problem shrugging you off.

As for someone who decides to buy a guitar, typically I'd throw in a 2-year warranty extension (covering every bad thing you could possibly think of happening to the guitar) which usually makes the guitar completely covered for 10 years, instead of trying to sell it to you. Also, any other accessories I'd reduce the cost to wholesale value. Basically around half off, unless you're counting Monster cables, which... typically we're not "allowed" to reduce the price on.

Oh, also concerning wholesale, that craigslist price sounds around there, so I'd actually reccomend going there... since there's no way in hell I'd give you a Mexi strat at that price... gotta make money for them employee discounts. Just do what LEPIV says there and make sure it's not a piece of crap.

Right, also, if you needed a guitar's action adjusted I'd be happy to do it for free if you bought the thing, but I'm nicer than the typical GC salesman.

*End longwindedness*
Quote by medore

Right, also, if you needed a guitar's action adjusted I'd be happy to do it for free if you bought the thing, but I'm nicer than the typical GC salesman.

*End longwindedness*

This probably isnt the right place, but I have grown to absolutely dispise guitar center due to the asshole salesmen. I am trying to look at rotary peddles and they are trying to sell me a hollowbody Ibanez because its the 'best deal in the store, this guitar is over $1000 new" all the while I am thinking "whatever you stupid ****, this is a $300 guitar at the most you have priced for $250", I tell them I am just browsing and they wont shut the hell up, and when I am ready to actually buy something, the dude I was originally listening to yammer on is no where to be found so someone else gets his comission, and I get dirty looks on my way out. Those places suck, I know two good GC salesmen out of about 40. Thats why I use craigslist.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?fg=141&sku=510136
Thats the one that there selling at a local small guitar shop for $420 in Fiesta Red.
And on Craigslist the strats I found in the closeby towns are all odly midnight purple and akward colors, also the nearby towns are like 5 hours away.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by The Master Plan
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?fg=141&sku=510136
Thats the one that there selling at a local small guitar shop for $420 in Fiesta Red.
And on Craigslist the strats I found in the closeby towns are all odly midnight purple and akward colors, also the nearby towns are like 5 hours away.

I dont know what to tell you man, CL is a godsend for me, but then again I live near one of the biggest cities in the US. I dont think I will ever buy a guitar or an amp from a store ever again.
Also if the salesman are earning commision, would the guitar price be set in stone or can they lower it?
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3