Page 1 of 6
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
Im buying a new guitar in about 2 months (Need time to save up) and I was wondering what type of Fender to buy, I'm looking for that Robben Ford, Jonny Lang, Stevie Ray Vaughan type of tone. I'm either gonna get a mexi made Tele or a 50'S Reissue strat. If I buy the reissue I'm gonna use the custom harness on my sig below for that.

Thx for reading this and hopefully replying..
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
mullet0023
155 IQ
it will be hard to get the SRV tone cause he plays his strat through a leslie. thats speaker used for an organ or key board. thats what makes his tone sound that cool. john lennon also recorded his voice through a lesliein the song tommarrow never knows. ( thats a really cool song check that out) actually i think that was one of the first times they used a leslie for expierimenting. lennon said he wanted to sound like he was shouting from tatop a mountain. and the beatles sound engineer geohh emerick thought up the idea to record it through the leslie
andythefir
26 IQ
1st off, theres a huge difference in cost between a mexican tele and a reissue of any kind. Personally, I would reccommend a strat. They have a whammy bar (I dont use it, but for blues you very well might), they have a body contour, and theyre far more versatile. You might be into blues but if you get a country gig or a rock gig or even a jazz gig a strat could cut it, I doubt a tele could. The most important thing, though is comfort. You have to try both out and see which neck you like better, if the lack of a body contour on the tele bothers you.
twocenttip
Gravity and the Unknown
111 IQ
DON'T BUY A TELECASTER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! (all caps)
I will call you out from shelter burn your wings and learn their letters
~1954~
UG's guitar ninja
47 IQ
Get a strat, put Texas Specials pickups on it, use a string gauge of about 13 -58, plus downtune a half step, then have that going into a Tubescreamer (or possibly 2!) then put that through a couple of Marshalls or fenders and a great big dumble amp simultaneously , and youll be in the right ballpark for SRV's sound.

Seriously though, i love strats so i would get one.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
ledhed68
1,305 IQ
^^Texas Special pick-ups arent available in the US as far as i know, anyways you can buy either one and just put heavy strings on it and youll be in the ballpark for SRV's tone, I have a telecaster with 12s and it sounds a lot like SRV, but you should just try out both and see which one you like better
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
Strats Are good for blues but teles are good for slide blues,folk-blues,country ... that sort of thang
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
~1954~
UG's guitar ninja
47 IQ
Quote by ledhed68
^^Texas Special pick-ups arent available in the US as far as i know, anyways you can buy either one and just put heavy strings on it and youll be in the ballpark for SRV's tone, I have a telecaster with 12s and it sounds a lot like SRV, but you should just try out both and see which one you like better

Texas specials are available in the UK, check that out:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12230
Maybe you could get them by mailorder.

But anyway, Teles are better for country & chicken pickin' an all that stuff. I would say strats are better for blues, going by personal experience.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Doubleday
Sailor Scout
611 IQ
I love both teles and strats. It all depends on the type of sound you want.

Strat:
It's a stratocaster. Chances are, you know what it sounds like. Strats can get just about any tone you want. Even the extreme ones, given the right rig. I love them too, but don't discount the--

Tele:
Tele's do one sound really, really, really well. Twang. I keep hearing over and over and over again about how they're just country guitars, but that's not true at all. To get an idea of how good a tele can sound, listen to "Runaround" by Van Halen, off of For Unlawful Carnel Knowledge to get an idea of just how amazing this guitar is.

Both are great, but nobody can tell you what to get. You've gotta find your own dang tone.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
I've got a Strat, and I love it.

I'm thinking about getting a Tele as my next guitar, though (I'm a Fender guy), because I don't feel like highering my action on my Strat to play slide (cause you basically can't if you don't **** around with it).
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
Ill probably buy the Strat because its leaned more towards Blues Rock. Also I'll get a custom Lindy Fralin Pickups and harness for it in Sept. The price of the 50's reissue is $420 new in Fiesta Red and Maple Fretboard.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Last edited by The Master Plan at May 12, 2006,
StaggHound
AntIbanez
43 IQ
forget Fender, the ultimate blues guitar is the Epi Airscreamer
Stinging_Acid
Senior Abaconian
88 IQ
Well right now I have a Strat, but i really would like a telecaster. I would go for a tele.
-B----a-----l-----y
----r-----d----e---

-I'm From the Bahamas-
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Quote by twocenttip
DON'T BUY A TELECASTER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! (all caps)

Don't make a post like that without at least backing it up with why he shouldnt....

I love my strat to death, and its perfect for blues, but dont forget that tele exists. They do blues very well. I'd say that probably the nicest guitar i've ever played was an American Telecaster Deluxe.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Paint
UG Addict
946 IQ
i have a tele and i love it. i put .11 guage strings on it and its so amazing.
if i cut off your arms and legs
and wrap you in some fucked-up cocoon,
would you still look at me and say
"you can't catch what you can't see"
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
what do you think of that?
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
I put .013's on my current guitar if that makes a difference at all, and right now I cant afford a Les Paul.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
dontfret
58 IQ
I have both an American Strat and an American Tele, and I prefer the Tele, it just plays so much better, but you can't get a Strat tone from the Tele. You can however get a Tele tone from the strat with a special selector switch that will alow you to select the neck and bridge at the same time to give you more twang. My Tele seems to handle heavier rock better and the Strat is good for Blues rock. I think my next Fender is going to be a Tele thinline.
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
Why would you want to by a Fender? To look like everyone else?
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
tossom
UG's resident alcoholic
32 IQ
Teles can do blues just as well as a Strat, just have a listen to Albert Collins.

I own one of each, and really can't decide between the two.
GKJ
Sirean Bassist
11 IQ
Don't buy a telecaster, unless your afraid of pointy things........
These boots were made for walking, walking all over you, i'll take your pride, this Cyanide is meant for me and you
tossom
UG's resident alcoholic
32 IQ
And what's wrong with a tele exactly?

I suspect you've never played a good telecaster...
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Quote by ufossuck
Why would you want to by a Fender? To look like everyone else?

B/c these days they are the standard for blues guitars, and for good reason.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
mercedesisbenz
Cissy Strut
1,292 IQ
Quote by GKJ
Don't buy a telecaster, unless your afraid of pointy things........

Good logic

I own an american tele and it handles all sorts of blues very well, and if i put it on the neck pickup and open up the tone knob all the way i can get pretty close to a strat tone. It handles all the heavier stuff with ease as well. HOWEVER i don't think you'll be satisfied at all with a mexican tele so If i had your choice I'd pick the 50 strat reissue
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
ledhed68
1,305 IQ
originally posted by ~1954~
Texas specials are available in the UK, check that out:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12230
Maybe you could get them by mailorder.

I know theyre available in the UK, but im saying that they arent available in the US at a store as far as i know, what a shame, they deliver amazing sound
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^^^You can get Texas Specials in the US. They are made in the US, so i dont see why you wouldnt be able to. I have some, and i live in the US.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
ledhed68
1,305 IQ
^my mistake, then if you get a strat then you should definately put some texas special pickups on it
zep123
UG
278 IQ
strat (mainly cause i own one)

but a tele would be the guitar i'd get next if i were to get another one
you told him to try to build bricks without straw
he asked you to build cities without bricks
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
B/c these days they are the standard for blues guitars, and for good reason.

If there's a standard for blues guitars, it's the Gibson ES line. None of the real bluesmen played Fenders, only the blues-rock players do. John Lee Hooker, B.B. King and Freddie King all played ESs and most other electric blues(not blues-rock) was played on Gibsons.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
480 IQ
Buddy Guy plays a strat.

As far as the Tele/Strat debate, I bought an American Strat about a month ago and I absolutely love it. For me it has the perfect feel, I love a high action and really heavy strings. Plus most of my favorite guitarists play Strats (Clapton, SRV, Buddy Guy, Hendrix). But you cant forget about how sweet Tele's are. Basically it all comes down to personal feel. Either way your getting a sweet guitar.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
VR2005
UG Addict
1,507 IQ
Quote by ledhed68

So they are called "Texas Specials" and they aren't available in the US, hmm interesting.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Quote by ufossuck
If there's a standard for blues guitars, it's the Gibson ES line. None of the real bluesmen played Fenders, only the blues-rock players do. John Lee Hooker, B.B. King and Freddie King all played ESs and most other electric blues(not blues-rock) was played on Gibsons.

True, the ES line are classic blues guitars, but people like SRV, Buddy Guy, and Robert Cray have helped to make the stratocaster a standard blues guitar, too.

EDIT: And if the only thing you have against fender is that you would "look like everyone else" then the upsides (for instance, tone) heavily outweigh the downsides.

EDIT II: To VR2005, you can, in fact, get Texas Specials in the US.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at May 14, 2006,
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
I was S-O-O-O disappointed when i tried out a USA Stratocaster--the tone was dull as ditchwater and it would NOT stay in tune---i tried it through a Marshall hoping to get a great SRV/Hendrix sound but i realised id need a shedload of effects to sound like that--this experience seriously put me off strats.

I then tried a Japanese 62' reissue telecaster--which i might add was £100 less than the strat--and i was blown away---people always say the tele is limited but these are the type of people who expect to press a button or flick a switch and get the sound they want--You have to work for your sound people-The tele can do warm, slightly overdriven blues, it can do twangy country and western, it can do great rhythym parts and screaming lead lines--its not great for heavy metal, but id ont give a rats ass.

I ended up buying the tele and ive never looked back, i can go for weeks without having to retune it, i can do two-tone bends without fearing the strings will go out of tune and i can really express myself more on it===i find it much more responsive to dynamics--which is where i found the strat fell flat on its ass--if i dig in with the pick on the tele, it really hammer the thing, or just sroke it lightly, it astonsishes me with its tonal and dynamic variations.
Thank God im an atheist
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
i have an american standard strat that i brought back to the uk with me from the states, it's always been my number one (over a US tele and a gibbo les paul standard). unbeatable for action and tone, especially since i put texas special pups on it.

the texas specials are available from the fender website although i have since realised that thet are a lot cheaper on ebay. i have heard a lot of good things about lindy fralin pups and would check them out if i were looking to change again.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
eXor
(sp)?
1,829 IQ
Quote by mullet0023
it will be hard to get the SRV tone cause he plays his strat through a leslie. thats speaker used for an organ or key board. thats what makes his tone sound that cool.

srv played trough a fender vibroverb.
Jimi Hendrix played trough the leslie
blues_rocker
Behold my MSPaint skills!
93 IQ
Quote by IrishBlues
Buddy Guy plays a strat.

Muddy Waters played a Tele.

Just because a certain artist plays a guitar doesn't make it better, Buddy Guy doesn't play a stock strat, of the same kind that the threadstarter wants to get.

I'd personally go with the Tele.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
480 IQ
^ Yeah I agree I was just saying that there are Blues musicians that play strats. Buddy Guy's strat is awesome, it has that midrange boost like Clapton's does.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
tossom
UG's resident alcoholic
32 IQ
If you're good enough, any guitar is good for blues - Hound Dog Taylor played with gear on par with Jack White's set up and made much better use of it!

There are good strats and bad strats, especially if you're looking at 70's gear - I looked at about 5 different teles before I picked mine. For anyone that's interested it's a 1976 US Tele Custom, battered to bits (would've been 3 tone sunburst 30 years ago) but does the "ice man" sound perfectly.
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
Well I plan to have $500 some dollars by July, then I'm gonna go to my nearest SamAsh which is in San Antonio, like 5 hours away. I plan to be in there trying out every strat and tele I can afford (Gonna be a good day). I plan to equip it with some sort of custom harness on my B-day. My saying when buying guitars is like this "Guitar's are like women, you cant go off and marry the first beautifull one you see, because it might look good, but have a horrible tone/personality, you gotta try your options, Oh yea their both expensive."
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Last edited by The Master Plan at May 15, 2006,
MastaBassist10
Banned
4,134 IQ
Quote by ledhed68
^^Texas Special pick-ups arent available in the US as far as i know,

Yeah they are, you can buy them from MF.
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
Can someone guive me tips on what to look and hear for when shopping for a strat? Also things to try out when testing the playability.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3