I bought a Peavey 5150 combo on ebay. I've played through it many times, and it has lots of feedback, especially at higher volumes. I've heard recommendations of boss noise suppresors, or possibly changing the tubes. Any recommendations? If I should get new tubes, do I replace all of them, and what would be a good kind to get? (keep in mind, i play some serious high gain metal)
My friend had one. I'll check with him. Mean time you may want to call a Peavey dealer.
How close are you relative to your amp?
what kind of guitar are you using?
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Slayer224
ISP Decimator. Its supposed to be one of the best noise suppressors.

Mine kicks ass.
Serious High Gain Metal? Laid to Rest by Lamb of God? Oh dear jesus.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
I've got a twenty foot cord so I've tried being as far away as possible. and no, my name has absolutely nothing to do with lamb of god, it has to do with doom metal.
Quote by Slayer224
ISP Decimator. Its supposed to be one of the best noise suppressors.

Seconded. But it's also quite expensive too. IMO, the Boss NS-2 is a good balance between performance and price. I used to have a 5150 combo and as soon as I got the NS-2, all my feedback problems were a thing of the past. Same deal with my current El Diablo. Without the NS-2, I get shìtloads of feedback.

As for tubes, I have a friend who loved his 5150, but finds the gain and noise are just too much. He swapped the first 2 preamp tubes with lower gain 12AT7s instead of the regular 12AX7s. It still gives him plenty of gain, but less noise. And it helped tamed the clean sound too.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at May 12, 2006,
Quote by greety
Serious High Gain Metal? Laid to Rest by Lamb of God? Oh dear jesus.

quiet you!

(did he edit his post or something?)

Crunch: i find the ns2 not too bad for cutting pedal noise, but it doesn't seem to do much for amp noise for me- and you can def. tell it's cutting tone at higher threshold settings...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?