Hello.. I've been looking at these two guitars- the Epi Dot and Dot Studio, and i've got a copuple of questions that will determine my purchase :

1. Is the dot heavier than the studio?
2. Are there any differences in quality? (eg. sound, parts used, hardware)
3. Can you put the dots back on the fretboard for the dot studio? Like from a shop
4. Can the pickguard of the dot be taken off?
5. Is the dot glossier than the dot studio? ( i can't tell frm pics online, yet to see live)
6. Which would be better for me? (considering below)

I'm not really looking at the tone and volume knobs here, as i don't really like to tweak stuff, and im guessing the extra knobs add more weight? lol. I'm looking for a simpler one like the studio, if it does not lack much quality from the dot. I play mostly heavy distorion like punk but im not into metal. Also, i don't gig (still a lil' amature ) I use a Digitech RP80 and soon a Boss DS-1. I heard about some issues about feedback from too high gain and using a noise gate, so will the RP80 solve it?

PLEASE anyone who knows the answers to any of these questions please post! THANK YOU!
Last edited by Gareth182 at May 12, 2006,
Semi-hollowbodies aren't really great for high distortion. They give a lot of feedback, and many just don't sound good distorted.

As for your questions:

1. Is the dot heavier than the studio? Not sure. They're probably close to the same weight.
2. Are there any differences in quality? I don't know about that one.
3. Can you put the dots back on the fretboard for the dot studio? Like from a shop You mean add dot inlays? it CAN be done, but it just wouldn't be logical to.
4. Can the pickguard of the dot be taken off? Yes, but you'll then get pick scratches if you aren't careful.
5. Is the dot glossier than the dot studio? Yes. The dot has a high gloss finish, while the dot studio is a flat, plain finish.
6. Which would be better for me? Honestly, I'm not sure. Try both out if at all possible.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Okay thanks for ur reply.. Anyone else? please post if u know any of these answers
I, too, am in the market for a semi-hollow or a hollowbody guitar. I've yet to actually go to the store and play the models yet (artcore or epi wildkat, maybe broadway or zephyr regent), but i'm getting scared that i won't be able to blast my amp .

Technically, it's not really the distortion that causes feedback but just the overwhelming volume.

The Dot has chrome hardware and extra knob doo-hickies.
"Calling her a ***** for lame shows isn't exactly the most romantic thing in the world. Seriously buddy, try not to be so cute and funny, and just try to be romantic, because this is garbage.
I'd probably take a small amount of offense to this if I cared about being Jewish, but I don't.

Good intentions yeah, but expect either your heart to broken, or a slap in the face, because this song will end in disaster."
Well Dot Studios are bad (asked at ahsop and even they said: Get a Dot, tehya re alot better). The real Dot is very nice, not that great for metal though. Id say get a Jackson or ESP instead.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The Dot's a lot better then the Studio, in almost every way.
And hollowbodies aren't great for high gain, look elsewhere if you don't want crazy feedback.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30