Hi. I've been shopping around for some versatile amp heads and like the Mesa Boogie Mark IV and ENGL Powerball. I live in the USA in Los Angeles so I can try out the Mesa IV at the Mesa Boogie store a few miles away, but I have never heard of a place carrying ENGL amps. I have the money to get either amp used, not so sure if I could afford them new. However, I'd rather get the best value for my money. Here is some additional information that could help you give me some feedback. All thoughtful comments are appreciated. Thanks. -K

Styles of Music: Blues, Jazz, Rock, Metal. Artists such as SRV, Clapton, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Satriani, Metallica, etc.

I have the different types of guitars suitable for these styles so its the amp thats more important.

I live in an apartment with neighbors who complain so I want the amp to sound great at very low volumes. If a THD Hotplate or similar device will make the amp sound better at bedroom levels I will purchase that. Also, my apartment isn't small but I only want a 2x12 cab, probably with V30s. I was thinking of getting the matching cabinet for whichever head I end up purchasing. If you know of a more suitable cab please suggest it.

Once again, I am able to try out the Mesa Mk IV but probably not able to try the Powerball. I've listened to the soundclips and they are great but so is nearly everything a company puts on it's website haha.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
How would you get an ENGL in the states ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
The Mark IV comes as a 1x12 combo or head. You can get the 1x12 combo with the 100 watt Black Widow speaker and then get a matching extension cab, or get the head with a 2x12. I have the Mark IV widebody combo. Excellent amp. First, it's got a lot of power switching options. On the "Tweed" "Class A" "Triode" setting, you're only getting about 30 watts max. On the "Full Power" "Simul Class" "Pentode" setting, you're getting about 85 watts max. And there are several options in between. As far as tones, the Mark IV can do it all. That being said, it's uber adjustable, and you'll need to spend a bit of time with it between the EQ knobs and the 5 band graphic EQ to get "your" sound. The manual is a great place to start. Also, the Boogie EQ knobs are treble-centric, meaning that treble adjustments will make the largest difference in your sound.
Hi, I'm Peter
THe MIV is the "TWEAKERS WET DREAM", they even masturbate while thinkin of it
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I've had my Mark IV for...7-8 years now. I don't think about it when I jerk off anymore. I've been cheating on her with other amps
Hi, I'm Peter
mark, although engl's are good, but marks are better
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
If the heaviest metal you play is Metallica you should get the Mark IV. I own a Powerball and I'd say that it does METAL better than it does everything else(though it gets tons of nice cleans.. you don't seem to play enough metal/heavily distorted bonecrushing stuff to justify it... The Mark are GREAT amps, I want one myself but I'm too damn poor and I have to move
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
If the heaviest metal you play is Metallica you should get the Mark IV. I own a Powerball and I'd say that it does METAL better than it does everything else(though it gets tons of nice cleans.. you don't seem to play enough metal/heavily distorted bonecrushing stuff to justify it... The Mark are GREAT amps, I want one myself but I'm too damn poor and I have to move

yeah, i agree with that. Haven't tried the mark IV, but from all I hear, yeah.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ tried out a mark IV last sunday, and it sounded really nice - very smooth, warm sounding cleans - probably better for your jazz playing than my ENGL (screamer, but i'm assuming it's not too hugely different to the powerball) but then my ENGL does blues better IMO...tough call, but on the whole i agree with everyone else that the Mark is your best bet - if only for the huge number of knobs you get to play with
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
^ the cleans on the screamer have a little more sparkle (that's the wrong word) than the powerball. Only way i can really think of describing it is- the screamer's clean channel is a little like a vox/fender hybrid, while the powerball is more out-and-out fendery.

but yeah, the powerball's cleans are better for pristine metal-type cleans, and blues.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?