Hi,

Today my new amp turned up (epiphone valve jnr combo), with my new effects pedal (Ibanez TS-808). Anyway, I had a massive smile on my face as I was unpacking and setting up my new cool stuff, until I plugged it in...

There is an annoying "rattle" type sound when I play, most audible around the 12th fret of the G string, I'm sure its not the guitar, as it never happened on my old amp (and also I just tried it out with one of my other electrics and it still happens). You can kinda make it out in other places as well. Its sounds like, I dunno, someone flicking the ring pull of a coke can (not a good sound!)

Any ideas?

Bob
Playing guitar is an addiction, only without the liver damage and rehab clinics.
Last edited by .50 Caliber Bob at May 12, 2006,
There isnt a distortion channel on the amp.
Okay, just had a play around, and the rattle happens on 11th and 12th Fret G, 17th of D string, and 22nd Fret of A string, which is all the same notes...????!!!!

Argh
Playing guitar is an addiction, only without the liver damage and rehab clinics.
Sounds like something is loose that has the natural frequency of the note you're hitting when the vibration noise happens. If it's new then take it back and exchange it. If it is old then it's likely something like a PCB or something wasn't screwed down properly at the factory and has worked loose. Probably an easy fix but easier still to change it at the shop you got it from!

Edited to correct poor grammar.
Last edited by gingerpaul at May 12, 2006,
Okay, here is a recording (albeit rubbish due to only being done on a computer mike).

You can make it out though. After each note is a sound like an old fashioned alarm clock...
Attachments:
111.zip
Sounds like you need to take it to a store. Usually something isnt secured right inside...happened to my friends tube amp had a bad rattle all because a screw was gone.
ive heard on these.its somthing around the speaker bracket being loose
check the whole thing out, find anything loose and tighten it
If it has spring reverb, the spring might be loose. Whack the top of it, and if it makes the noise that's what it is.