Page 9 of 9
I find that the Saw You Drown EP is as good as their early stuff, after that it all depends on the song, very hit and miss.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Katatonia have always been a songs band, rarely got a full album together despite many attempts

Which is why their live shows kill, cause they put it all together
But I did see them play all of Last Fair Deal Gone Down and that was great.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by palm mute
Katatonia is a strange band for me. I love their early stuff and I like where they are going now with TGCD and Night Is the New Day, but the middle stuff I just can't get into. Does anyone else have this problem with them?

I actually have to agree somewhat. For whatever reason I'm finding Last Fair Deal Gone Done and Tonight's Decision harder to get into than either Dance of December Souls or the last two albums. Not to say I don't enjoy either, just not as much as I think I should given how much I love the majority of their music.

Oh, and for anyone that's interested I posted a review of Night is the New Day, there should be a link on my profile somewhere.

Edit: There you go Night is the New Day
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
Last edited by ARMAGEDDON_IT at Nov 25, 2011,
They were an odd live band for me, it literally sounded like they'd just put on a CD and mimed their instruments, everything was EXACTLY like it sounds on the albums. Not saying this is particularly a bad thing, it's just that I couldn't help but feel you expect a little extra seeing someone live, or else you may as well just listen to the CD without paying to go see them, just my opinion =\
Is anyone else aware of the limited-edition 'For Funerals to Come' vinyl ? When I looking through the Peaceville store it said only 1,500 copies were produced, and it includes two bonus tracks off some obscure compilation they put out in the 90's, so I'm definitely considering this one.
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
Is that the Svart records rerelease? It looks deadly!!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I'm really looking forward to this record. No doubt it'll be in my Top 5, along w/ the newest Swallow the Sun and probably the new Testament.

This Katatonia sounds like the next natural step from TGCD & NITND, with NITND being somewhat of a "sophomore slump" for this style. NITND was good, but not as good as TGCD. Hopefully DEK will be just as good or better then TGCD.
I was interested in this band at one point, but didn't take it too far... But I somehow got my sister really into them.

So we're going to go see them in Chicago next month.

Just finally getting around to actually listening to an album, Night is the New Day.

Good shit.
Onward into Battle is an amazing song.
I enjoyed Dead Letters when they put up that lyric video. Such a dark sounding song.

And I didn't see the post above mine, if TGCD really is better than NITND, then I'm in for a treat. I really like this album.
I had no idea there was a Katatonia thread in the Metal forum, I was looking in the Modern Rock forum for it

I recently got into these guys, and damn, they're awesome. The Great Cold Distance is the only album of theirs that I've got so far, but it has some great songs.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 25, 2012,
The few tracks I've heard off of the new one didn't really impress me.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I had no idea there was a Katatonia thread in the Metal forum, I was looking in the Modern Rock forum for it

I recently got into these guys, and damn, they're awesome. The Great Cold Distance is the only album of their's that I've got so far, but it has some great songs.

Get Night Is The New Day
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Originally, Katatonia was actually a doom metal band, with Dancing December Souls and Brave Murder Day being star releases from them.

Mike from Opeth performed vocal duties on BMD.

I would say DDS is the better release of the two though.

So if you decide to delve further Corey, I say start with the early career
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Dabbling in the art of Necromancy here...

I fucking love The Fall of Hearts even more than I loved LFDGD & TGCD... just wondering if anybody here has seen these guys on their recent tour? They're playing 2 shows in the L.A. area at the end of March & I'm kinda of thinking I might hit both of them. Any of you guys in the L.A. area & possibly going?
Haven't seen them on this tour but they put on a good show. 
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Seeing them in Southampton soon for the first time. I agree TFOF was absolutely fantastic. Not that they've ever really done a bad album.
Main gear:
Edwards Crying Star E-CS-140
LTD Gus 600 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro
Gibson SG 60's Tribute
ZW-45 > OG-1 > NS-2 > GE-7 > DD-3 > 6505+ 112
I ended up seeing their show in Hollywood last Wednesday & they were great! Played quite a few of their heavier tracks, a lot of stuff from TGCD & TFOH, nothing older than LFDGD. That may disappoint some people, but I think that's fair considering they've been on that same track since & anything earlier would be a bit out of place.

They also had two openers in Uncured & Caspian. Personally, I think Uncured's music sucks... guitarists are more focused on "shredding" than the actual content of the songs. Caspian was better... no vocals, big wall of sound type thing. Worth checking out, I suppose.
The supports on the UK tour sound better going by your description of the American supports. One of them, "The Great Discord" is really unique, and of course their name sounds a bit like a particular album.

Has anyone noticed Anders' signature guitars disappear from the Mayones website? I'm still really gassing for one, a Setius or a Regius would do. The Regius Katatonia II looks so cool. Shame the Setius seems to have jumped in price by almost 50% on the used market in the last year, I hate brand hype.
Main gear:
Edwards Crying Star E-CS-140
LTD Gus 600 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro
Gibson SG 60's Tribute
ZW-45 > OG-1 > NS-2 > GE-7 > DD-3 > 6505+ 112