Page 1 of 2
Tough to say...depends on preference really. I've got EMG 82s in my BC Rich Mockingbird and they kick a$$, plus they look mint...just a flat black slab of pickup! But then again their abour 7 years old.
I got a fever...and the only prescription...is more cowbell!

go for EMG 81/85 (active) set or of you are in the uk Bare Knuckle Pickups (passive)

what style of metal do you play? bands?
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
^But what metal (for an example some have a bright sound, while some have dark soudns). any execpt Slipknot? Id say Swinesheads X bucker for bridge and a runaway in the neck.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
here is a link to the BKP site. they have a shop on there but im not sure if they will post outside uk

Bare Knuckle Pickups!!
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Bare Knuckles Pickups will ship to the US (and they take about 15% off their list price b/c we don't have to pay the EU tax!). I just got a pair of BareKnuckles Black Dog pickups, and they were around $140 a piece. So far, they have been excellent blowing my other ones out of the water. They have good ones for metal too, like the War Pig and a few others.
around $50 per pickup: bill lawrence xl500 (www.billlawrence.com), high order custom wound ( www.highorderpickups.com )

around $100: swineshead xbucker ( www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk ), wolfetone timberwolfe ( www.wolfetone.com )

expensive: bareknuckles, wcr ( www.crcoils.com ) etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
are bare knuckles really much better than say duncan or dimarzio?? cuz they sure cost a lot more.. if they really are i would spring for them.. what would be a good setup for someone who plays metal (but by metal i mean Maiden, Dream Evil, Metallica, Helloween etc).. i also live in the US so how much access to them would i actually have?
Quote by Butt Savage
are bare knuckles really much better than say duncan or dimarzio?? cuz they sure cost a lot more.. if they really are i would spring for them.. what would be a good setup for someone who plays metal (but by metal i mean Maiden, Dream Evil, Metallica, Helloween etc).. i also live in the US so how much access to them would i actually have?

Yeah, Bare Knuckles are much better than the other after-market pickups that I've tried (and I've tried all the major ones, plus a few others). There are a few dealers in the US, but the main Bare Knuckle Pickup site has an online shop and will ship to you anywhere. If you wanna find out the BKP dealers in the US, go to the BKP site and look for the links, or email them.
^ have a chat with Tim over at teh BKP forum, he's really helpful and (irrelevantly) has great hair
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Haha... Slipknot, metal? haha...

*cough* Anyways, tell us what guitar and amp you have. They play a huge role in this as well. I mean, you don't wanna play a Squire strat with active emgs into a Marshall Mg...
roar
Hey I'm also into metal, looking at a similar situation. I dont want to pay more than $100 because I can get the EMG 85 or 81 for that I think its my limit anyways...

So, i'm not into slipknmot really, more like: (no order) dark tranquilltiy, finntroll, elvenking, dragonforce/lord/land sonata arctica, 3 Inches of blood, chimaira, devildriver, arch enemy. OI can hardly say everything, alot of melo death and power/folk metal.

So would a EMG 81 or a EMG 85 be a better bet? I am only going to change the bridge pickup as i dont care much about the neck pickup, stock should do for now. I am getting a Jackson RX10D Roads V. Or maby a JS30RR, either way I am looking for new pups.
I have heard that the 81 is better and that the 85 is better, any idea? Apparently the 85 has more bass and this can be bad for dropped tuning where it can become muddy nad the extra attck in the 81 is better for Drop C, what I will be tuning to.

Anyone have an idea or experience on this it would be appreciated thnkas. I know its harder than answering someone who wants a pick up and listens to slipknot, but hey..

Oh and I use a roland Cube 30 at the moment, i would like to upgrade but my new guitar is coming first. I will get a peavy 5150 next probably, but that could take me years to save up for.
^ i'd say the 81's better for most of those tones.

The problem is, they're active. So you'll have to switch your electronics (tone and volume knobs) and if you can only afford one pickup, you'll probably have to disconnect your neck pickup, since it won't work with the new electronics...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
First off if you go EMGs it would be better to get a neck and a bridge, if not you will have a fun time wiring because of the passive/active combo. Also I wouldn't get EMGs until I got a tube amp because they won't make that magical ohhhh-awwww change that you think they will without a nice amp. Honestly I would check out the Xbucker for a bridge thats what I'm looking at for my alt guitars bridge and I've heard good things from many good players here so if they like it must be good for something!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
^ or even a bill lawrence xl500. i think it's only $50, if you went for it, you could afford to get a neck one (500C, R or L, depending on the tone you're after) as well.

www.billlawrence.com
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys, im not realy that worried about the neck pickup for now, I mihgt just leav it disconnected as I have seen people do and buy the other one later if I really need it. But for now I hardly use my neck pick-up, it is cool for soloing really high up and that nice sound, but I wont realy use it ever if I can get a nice bridge pick-up. I know its stupid but i really dont need a neck pick up and i'l get one later if I do.

So, a 81 would be a better buy over the 85 for drop C stuff sounding like bodom, inflames, arch enemy, arsisi.. these are more the guitar sounds I'd want, the other bands were more my preferance in metal.. to distinguish from slipknot as being the sole metal band before.

Any other pick-up ideas for around >$100? Looking for hihg gain stuff with good (pinch) harmonics and a clear, not at all muddy tone?

ANyway.. if I can disconnect my neck humbucker then I can use it on my other guitar whcih has a similar looking, but worse sounding humber, so it will look fine to just take it out and put in the other crappy OLD jackson bucker because it will look better than having odd amtching pups in my new RX10D.
^ i'd recommend not buying the EMG's because IMO they sound awful...have you ever heard them? find a guitar that has them in the shop to try out through your amp and see if you like them - from what i hear they're very temperamental to the amp you run them through

deg0ey
You really can't stress that the amp is what makes or breaks EMGs IMO. You have a ss amp, a good one for metal but ss non the less, so the EMGs won't sound like you're thinking they will and not anything like the bands that use them without a nice tube amp. Don't just stick to EMGs because alot of good players use them when you could get an X-Bucker for around the same price as an EMG and it probably WILL give you the tone your looking for. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with EMGs it's just that without a tube amp it won't make the kinda difference that you're thinking they will
Okay cool. I might just leave them then... but btw, what would be a good tube amp for metal to get with EMG's, or any other high gain pickups?
Is a Peavey 5150 good enough?

Okay so the X-bucker is made by swineshead right? Thanks for the advice on the EMG's though, i was being totally won over by all the reviews and forum people talk o them, I still think they shoudl be pretty damn good, I'm shur enot veryone who has EMG 81's has a tube amp.

So any other pickups I should consider that would sound good on a Roland Cube? Solid stae btw. I dont want a comprimise though, it must still rock on a tube amp for when i get one. Just one that will also make a nice difference on a SS.
The Peavey 5150 is amazing and yes it will be fine for EMGs. I'm no expert on them at all but I have played EMGs through a SS and a tube and the tube blows away the ss, EMGs will always shine through on a tube and you'll get that sound you want. The X-Bucker is looking like a winning, though again I haven't played one yet but I've heard great things from people that have, so I would check it out and yes they are by swineshead.
^^ to be honest, you'll notice a bigger difference with tubes with pretty much any pickup. It's more the fact that EMG's are super-hot (so can cause solid state clipping if you have a solid state amp, which doesn't sound so good) added to the fact that most people in famous bands who use EMG's use them through dark-sounding high gain amps (which balances against the 81's quite bright tonality) which means that they probably won't sound how you expect. EMG's are also meant to sound best with mahogany.

EDIT: my swinesheads sounded noticeably better than my stock pickups through my solid state marshall avt. But they sounded A LOT better through my new tube amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So where can i check out these swineshead's or ship the mto the USA, their home page sucks.. i cant find anything out.
their site is great... http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk there's an option bar thing across the top, look under products

deg0ey
^only if you buy two and get the free shipping (and that's $75 each)

deg0ey
Okay well I need them shiped to america, so they are based in the UK i'm geussing.
How much will the shipping put mr back if I only want to buy 1? Or would it be better (read cheaper) to just buy too and go for free shipping.
I'd rather just get one and save on $75, so are these pickups passive?

And could someone advise on any other types of pickups? From a bigger company if I may say so, these swineheads guys just seem a little small, plus it might not be possible for me to get stuff from the UK. You see I am in South Africa and I need to use a service whcih ships things down from the US, they only deal with the us as far as i know.

So are there any good seymour duncens, di marzios etc for a solid state/drop C tuning for metal, thknas guys.

*edit: okaty I see the problem, I am using the Opera browser and theres even a note on the site about how it doesnt work too well with the browser, everything looked fine , but there was no products menu or anything, I was alomst stuck on the front page.
Last edited by Elven_King at May 14, 2006,
as far as I know, swineshead ship worldwide. they're passive. I'm not too sure about the free shipping, though, i'm not sure if it's free or not. It's £3 for worldwide postage (about $5 US).

i'm not too well up on the dimarzio or duncan models, I haven't tried their metal pickups. The X2n from dimarzio might be worth a look, but i haven't tried it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
go for Duncan Livewire's the metal set burns everything to dust, can't play clean with m though. but then again you're into slipknot
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Hey guys,,,, dave.... what about the cermaic -warpig....... ??

If it's as heavy as you told me...... then I'll bet that it'll change this dude's price range.... !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
^ well i haven't tried them, blues, so I dunno...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FretboardToAsh
go for Duncan Livewire's the metal set burns everything to dust, can't play clean with m though. but then again you're into slipknot

HEY.. hold on there. Thats was the guy who started this thread, I just hijacked it for my own metal pickup needs, thaught it was better than making my own thread. No Im not intentiaonally stealing the thread.

but I DONT listen to muhc (well any) slipknot.
I like my power metal and melo death, a bit of straight up death metal and *good* metal in general. Oh especially symphonic metal

But the tone i want from pickups is more just a dark really heavy tone. Not really looking for a old school metal sound.

btw, I have been reading about the Dimarzio X2N pickups which would suit my new gtr better than EMG's.. they are passive and the guiar is alder body.

they are also cheaper than EMG's and about the same price as Seymour duncan distortion SH6 or invader pickups.
DONT go for the invader they are **** and sound really flat. they have no tone at all.

the only time i have heard an invader sound good is on A7X's city of evil, but even then thats probably 'studio magic'

i dont know about the distortion pickup but ive heard they are good. does anyone know about them?
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Ja, I kind of also ruled the seymours out now, and i dont really like City Of EVil at all, but the guitars dont sound too bad, no indication of what ounds I'll get a t home with the same pickup though.

I think at the moment im goign for the X2N... anyone want to win me over on any other pickup? Or anyone have any experience with a X2N? Only thing i'm worried about with them (power is definately good) is that they generally get people to comment that the pickup tends to be leaning towards a more trebble and higher oriantated sound, with a bit less bass than most. But I really want a deep sound, will the bass be okay in a alder body guitar?
^ i haven't tried the x2n.

If it is (big if) trebly, though, you might want to look into a swineshead xbucker or bareknuckle warpig as an alternative, since, as far as I know, they have a deeper tonality.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2