Page 1 of 2
Hello hello, i've recently ordered a guitar from my neighboruring city, and the father of my half-siblings has agreed to take it along with him when he visits the city the upcoming tuesday. I ordered a gibson les paul classic, and had to pay 2,500$ for it which is a few hundreds below retail in my country.

Anyways, i've been playing for about 6 months. I've saved up the cash by working, and im 16. Am i insane for buying such an expensive guitar? I've been the proud owner of a epi LP custom these past 4 months. I hadn't really anything else to spend the money on. Am i insane? I know i wanna play guitar as a career. Again, am i insane?
well, as i said, i'll be upgrading pretty soon. Anyway, with the prices rising on gibsons, and me getting it so far below retail, my guitar teacher warrant that ill get as much or close up as much as i payed for it if i were to sell it again.
There's nothing wrong with buying a good guitar if you know you're going to stick with playing. I think you might have been better served buying a better amp and a not-so-expensive guitar, but still, your guitar will be good. And if you ever want to get rid of it, you'll most likely be able to get about the same amount you paid for it as long as it's in good condition.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
No nothing wrong with it at all. I got an American strat after eight months of playing. Why did I spend so much on a guitar when I have been playing for such a short time? Because I love to play and I wanted a good sounding guitar.

There's nothing wrong with buying an awesome guitar. It's not like you don't deserve it. It just shows your dedicated to be able to put down so much money towards one.
Of course you're not insane.. If you can afford it and you know you're not going to just get over it and give up then its probably the best way to go.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
Congrats! Not insane at all unless that's how you feel. I''m almost 14 and I bought most of my gear by working for a Mexican landscaper doing hardscaping, lawns, planting flowers and shrubs, PowerPoint ads, dropping ads, getting neighbors as customers, etc.
I got my Gibby by selling my (then) current guitar and doing a job for my mum!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
I got my Gibby by selling my (then) current guitar and doing a job for my mum!

job eh... do i want to know what this "job" was
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
^The job was to help her film and cut an ice skating show (wich she amde, she's a coreographer).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^The job was to help her film and cut an ice skating show (wich she amde, she's a coreographer).

i was hoping it was some sort of mafia hit or something.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
OKay, thx for the response im relieved that im mentally stable Thanks for the well-wishing

I'm so looking forward to tuesday now
Congrats on the new (and awesome) guitar!!!

Also, I don't think you're crazy. If you're serious about playing, why not? I've only been playing for a year, but if I had the cash to spare I'd buy a nice Gibson.

Again, congratulations and enjoy your new guitar!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
well.. despite what other people say, i dont like the idea of spending so much on a guitar. if you've only been playing 6 months then i suggest you improve your technique before buying such an expensive guitar. unless you've got alot of money to throw around. but hey, les pauls sound great and your f-50 should accompany it well.

personally les pauls kill my shoulders.
Now is the time to buy Gibson. the made too many and are trying desperately to sell the overstock. Your $2500 is money in the bank my friend.
As long as your dedicated thats all that matters. I just get made when people aren't dedicated and buy such nice things.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
The only time it sucks is when you see mom & dad buying some kid a $2500 guitar and $1500 amp for their first gear only to have it sit in a corner gathering dust because the kid gave up playing after 6 months....
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Yeah, its really cheap. Especially since the suggested retail in my country is 3,500

I just walked into the store and fell in love with the guitar immediately when trying it out

And thanks xenn99

I'm not from a rich family, but i am kinda spoiled i admit. (middle-class). So it feels really good to have earned something fair and square

But im not the type of guy who practises 12 hours a day though. I have a one hour rule, and try to log somewhere between 1 and 4 hours a day
I bought my Gibby after 8 months of playing .

Then again, I was doin' a girl who's Dad owned a Hock Shop, so I got it mega cheap. Like, lower then Squier cheap [w/ a Gibson hardshell case too ].
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
In my opinion, yes.

I can't imagine you've realised what you're looking for in a guitar after such a short period yet.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I know hock shops here in Kingston won't give you a cent more than $200, no matter what it's actually worth, so I'm not surprised you could get it from a hock shop taht cheap.

I think it's quite crazy, although you know you're gonna' stick with them, but do you even have a proper ear for tone yet?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If you like the sound, that's what matters.

Also, if I may ask, what color did you get it in?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
yes although you playing level may not have reached "i require a gibson les paul" you still made a good choice.

1)because you paid/worked for it your not a spoiled punk richy
2)because you can definately have good resale(take good care of it)
Originally posted by Valterra
"A guitar with no scratches is a guitar that hasn't been loved."
I got it in vintage suburst I tried a black one as well, which was good, but i thought the tone was better in the vintage one

To RHCP:
I dunno what you mean about ear for tone, but my guitar teacher told me i had perfect pitch...? I dunno...

But man was the guitar beautiful I think i inspected it thourghly, but my guitar teacher will play it as well just to make sure its in perfect condition. If he says nay, i might go ahead and keep it anyway, or i'll just send it back to the store. Its a two week full warranty if im displeased
Quote by guitarforever<3

To RHCP:
I dunno what you mean about ear for tone, but my guitar teacher told me i had perfect pitch...? I dunno...

What I meant is people seem to think everything sounds the same starting out at guitar, then a few months/years later you realise the difference in the sound of gear etc.

And for having perfect pitch, you bastard, lol
I'm v jealous.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Oh is that really so good? Maybe its something else translated then lol.. He didn't seem all that impressed when he said it. Im not english as you've prob figured

He said i can pick out a note without having another note before. is that it?

Anyway, i can hear the difference, yeah... Thats why i bought it. The sound was hotter than on other gibson les pauls i think.
all i have to say is................................

Where do you live???
Only $2500 for a guitar after six months of strumming? That's better than someone I know who just got their motorcycle endorsement three months ago and bought an $18,000 Harley Davidson.
You can't get killed playing a guitar; so you're better off.
Well, i'll have to disagree. Theoretically, you could love playing guitar to such a degree that you die from blood-loss through your finger. However, i recognize the possibility that there's a slightly bigger chance of dying in a motorcycle accident
I stand corrected...I suppose you could get electricuted. Or your parents could kill you if they found out how much you spent on that guitar!
Last edited by Siciliano at May 12, 2006,
no your not crazy. worse comes to worse...you get on ebay and make your money back plus some if your lucky (since you got it so cheap...most les pauls go for about 2/3's of what they are new on ebay).

i say if you know your serious its better to get a really nice quality guitar. its amazing how hard a lick can seem on a lower quality guitar with crappy action and a slow fretboard. try the same lick on a quality guitar and its amazing how much eaiser your notes and solos flow. same with basses. i play both bass and guitar and i just bought a new yamaha trb1005 (got the hookup from a friend of mine whos a recording artist...guy is amazing. hes endorsed by gibson, robin, and some other company and has connections at guitar center in houston). suddenly i can slap alot better and walk all over the fretboard where i struggled with my other lower quality bass simply because certain low quality instruments are just harder to play.

the old addage that a good guitarist can play anything and sound good may be true...but theres no denying its alot more difficult with a squier bullet.
Quote by Crunchmeister
The only time it sucks is when you see mom & dad buying some kid a $2500 guitar and $1500 amp for their first gear only to have it sit in a corner gathering dust because the kid gave up playing after 6 months....

or some kid who thinks hes the **** because his parents have bought him 3 gibsons and he cant even play the dam things.
Yeah, I was talking to a kid who had a PRS Santana III and was talking up how good it was and how good he was, but all he could do was a sloppy version of Stairway..
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
^that'd just be depressing.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
If you're certain you'll stick at playing, there's nothing wrong with it. People on here will ALWAYS tell you to get an amp over a guitar. But if you're stuck with a not-so-good guitar, I would always vouch for a new one, over an amp. A Gibson LP will last a lifetime whereas an amp will most likely need replacing. I honestly don't see the point in buying a £1000 amp if you're not gigging. You will obviously notice a difference in tone between a tube amp and a SS amp, though.
Page 1 of 2