Howdy.

I'm looking to get a professional microphone to take my recording to the next level -I'm going to university to produce records. I'm interested in a Shure SM57 and SM58, but can't really afford both at the moment.

As an occasional vocalist for a metal band, I recently used a Shure SM58 for a few songs in their otherwise instrumental set and was fairly blown away by the quality.

I understand (correct me if I am wrong) that the SM58 is a superior vocal microphone to the SM57.

However, my question is this; Is the 58 effective in mic'ing up amplifiers, like the 57 is?

I'm looking for something I can use for vocals and instruments, so, which would be better all round?

Help appreciated
The SM58's a great mic all-round in my opinion, but possibly try the Beta 57a if you go to a shop and tell them what you need it for etc.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
i believe the 57 is the mic universally popular for its diversity even though it is more of an instrument mic. dont make the mistake i made - forget to buy a preamp!
the sm58 isn't very good for instruments...you could buy a pg57 and a pg58. i think that the pg57 sounds better for intruments as a sm58, and the pg58 sounds almost the same as a sm58 for vocals but it isn't good for recording instrumens. you can buy both for the same price as a sm58.
Last edited by Zolderzombie at May 12, 2006,
the SM 58 is more of a mic for live vocals if i remember correctly (i could be wrong), so while im sure it would sound better for recording vocals than the 57, it probably wouldnt be best. if you have about $150, you could try to get the 57 and an MXL 990 which is supposed to be a good condensor mic for about $50. condensor mics are better for recording vocals, but require phantom power. im not sure if the 57 or 58 would be better in this situation tho. try looking at the last post in this thread here. it is a review of a mic by Bill43, and he knows what he is talking about with recording. it says it is good for recording, but im not sure how it does for instruments. look into that mic and see what you can find, it might be exactly what you are looking for and is the same price as the 57.
Cheers for the input guys

Quote by jof1029
it is a review of a mic by Bill43, and he knows what he is talking about with recording.

Yes he does
I was in the same situation as you, wanting (or needing) an SM58 and SM57 the former for live vocals and the latter for recording and mic'ing my guitar. Cheapest ive seen these online is £69 + delivery but theres plenty on ebay, i got both mine delivered for just over £100.
Quote by audiorapist
i believe the 57 is the mic universally popular for its diversity even though it is more of an instrument mic. dont make the mistake i made - forget to buy a preamp!

way to see the light

The 57 is an INSTRUMENT MIC, 58 is vocals. 57's are great for drums too, if you do a double overhead, you can pick up plenty of bass
You've got a good point there, but still.
Actually a great way to get the hookup is make friends with the music director at a local church. I'm pretty good friends with the one at a local church (little brothers old school) and I basicly called her up, and said "can I get the Shure kick mic, 2 boom stands, and 2 SM-57's? And a couple of XLR cables and a 1/4inch? Thanks."
Works real nice.
Quote by 120AC
You've got a good point there, but still.
Actually a great way to get the hookup is make friends with the music director at a local church. I'm pretty good friends with the one at a local church (little brothers old school) and I basicly called her up, and said "can I get the Shure kick mic, 2 boom stands, and 2 SM-57's? And a couple of XLR cables and a 1/4inch? Thanks."
Works real nice.

Has to be a church rigged with good sound equipment though. My church doesn't mic any instruments but the piano. The bass and guitars have to get plugged in though 1/4" jacks on the stage, and we set the levels around the drums. It's safe to say that every church with a worship band will have at least a couple sm58's though.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Sm58 and the SM57 are the exact same microphone. The polar pattern is EXACTLY the same, the only difference is that the SM57 has a ball capsule and windscreen. Don't be confused by this. There is no "vocal" or "instrument" microphone for say. I think the SM58 is preferred live because it has the windscreen which just cuts back on the extra cracks and pops. Neither are ideal for recording vocals though, most vocals are recorded thorugh Large Diaphragm condensors. It is absolutely rediculous for you to buy an SM57 for instruments, and also buy an SM58 for recording vocals. The SM57 will sound fine. Remember the voice is a very complex instrument and probaby the instrument with the most variying tones and sounds.
The church I'm friends with has a music director who has played for a couple of bands in college, her first day she was employed? A set of condensers for the drum set, that huge case of 57's, 58's and that giant drum mic (that thing is heavy, like brick heavy), a new drum cage, a couple of Shure cannal-sealing earbuds for drummers, and a brand new bass amp.